Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/15-16 Coastal Storm/ULL Discussion

dmillz25

17 minutes ago, RockerfellerSnow said:

Dude we’re colder and more north this isn’t a coating for Central Park mark my words. I’m in Central Park today and I will personally go and measure and show you guys

You have my support/ backing, providing you don’t use one of their rulers.

22 minutes ago, RockerfellerSnow said:

Dude we’re colder and more north this isn’t a coating for Central Park mark my words. I’m in Central Park today and I will personally go and measure and show you guys

You may have misread his post. He wrote, "... 2” for the far Uws where I work (120th and Broadway)." That's not far from Central Park's Zoo, so it implies a measurable snowfall even there.

P.S. Given some past measurement debacles at the Park, it's an open question whether you will be the only one measuring. Last winter, there was one or two occasions that no measurements appeared to be made after the snow stopped falling and then had either melted or been washed away by the rain by the time it fell. Traffic camera footage showed a easily visible coating and such a coating is more than a trace.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

You may have misread his post. He wrote, "... 2” for the far Uws where I work (120th and Broadway)." That's not far from Central Park's Zoo, so it implies a measurable snowfall even there.

P.S. Given some past measurement debacles at the Park, it's an open question whether you will be the only one measuring. Last winter, there was one or two occasions that no measurements appeared to be made after the snow stopped falling and then had either melted or been washed away by the rain by the time it fell. Traffic camera footage showed a easily visible coating and such a coating is more than a trace.

I still think Central Park will record at least 2... where he is probably closer to 3

4 minutes ago, RockerfellerSnow said:

I still think Central Park will record at least 2... where he is probably closer to 3

I'm currently thinking 1"-2" based on last night's guidance, but 3" is well within the realm of possibility if the snow comes down harder and lasts just a little longer. The ECMWF continued to suggest 3"-4" is possible. The 12z NAM is around 2". The daily record is 1.0", which was set back in 1906.

Farther south, Washington, DC had recorded 0.1" snow as of 7 am. More had accumulated since then, so it's very likely that Washington's daily record of 0.2" from 1906 was broken. What's important is that the precipitation seems to be somewhat overperforming on the snowy side early on as it comes north. That outcome may be part of the reason the HRRR has been super aggressive with the snowfall amounts around the City.

5 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

How far south are you thinking this last shot will go?

I know that this graphic is showing rain over most of the area but by this time the winds will have shifted and cold air will be rapidly moving in so I expect just about all areas to flip back before ending.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_23.png

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I know that this graphic is showing rain over most of the area but by this time the winds will have shifted and cold air will be rapidly moving in so I expect just about all areas to flip back before ending.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_23.png

Okay. It'd be nice to see some flakes. 

Craig Allen posted this a little while ago:

Getting a little concerned / nervous. I sure wish I had a chance to get acclimated with a few snow showers rather than hitting me up with an all out storm for the first one. Sheesh.
The HRRR is a high- res model updated hourly. The trend has been toward a colder solution due to surface and upper dynamics. and therefore more wintry precip. Last night, I mentioned the NAM12 and NAM3k were throwing around such hints. Remember, just using a 10:1 ratio means sleet and icing are included in the mix and can make snowfall maps disproportionately high. 
But this morning, even when factoring out that parameter, the initial intensity of the snow and sleet may be enough to overwhelm the changeover for a couple extra hours. 
For NYC, LI and NJ shore- that would approx double estimates, especially on colder surfaces. Then towards evening, even roads would get covered before heavy rain washes it away.
Inland- An easy 2-4" with 6+ in the NW hills of NJ into the Poconos, Catskills and north of TZ and Merritt towards I-84.

Watching this possibility very carefully. And remember, there may be a burst of snow to end the storm tomorrow morning.
November?????  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Craig Allen posted this a little while ago:

Getting a little concerned / nervous. I sure wish I had a chance to get acclimated with a few snow showers rather than hitting me up with an all out storm for the first one. Sheesh.
The HRRR is a high- res model updated hourly. The trend has been toward a colder solution due to surface and upper dynamics. and therefore more wintry precip. Last night, I mentioned the NAM12 and NAM3k were throwing around such hints. Remember, just using a 10:1 ratio means sleet and icing are included in the mix and can make snowfall maps disproportionately high. 
But this morning, even when factoring out that parameter, the initial intensity of the snow and sleet may be enough to overwhelm the changeover for a couple extra hours. 
For NYC, LI and NJ shore- that would approx double estimates, especially on colder surfaces. Then towards evening, even roads would get covered before heavy rain washes it away.
Inland- An easy 2-4" with 6+ in the NW hills of NJ into the Poconos, Catskills and north of TZ and Merritt towards I-84.

Watching this possibility very carefully. And remember, there may be a burst of snow to end the storm tomorrow morning.
November?????  

Yeah, this isn't going to be fluffy snow. More like a 5 : 1 or less ratio.

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic