joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

22 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We cold rain

And colder rain rain for others.

I woke up to see 150 new posts.  How quickly my anticipation crashed to see 125 of those posts debating the validity of a Boston temperature from 1875.  The remaining 25 consisted of where/if/when a pig might set up, Ginx digging deep and refraigning from posting a NAV storm and James talking about the potential between 72 and 156 hours for flakes in Cape Cod, MA that are never going to happen.

Pass the cranberry sauce.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

And colder rain rain for others.

I woke up to see 150 new posts.  How quickly my anticipation crashed to see 125 of those posts debating the validity of a Boston temperature from 1875.  The remaining 25 consisted of where/if/when a pig might set up, Ginx digging deep and refraigning from posting a NAV storm and James talking about the potential between 72 and 156 hours for flakes in Cape Cod, MA that are never going to happen.

Pass the cranberry sauce.

Yeah that was pretty brutal stuff yesterday . 

22 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Euro may have sniffed this one out as it looks like the other models are coming onboard.

GFS and new GFS look good in NNE too.

If we can get one more snow event out of this month, it'll most certainly be the best November for winter in quite some time, given the like -7 departures to go with weeks of snow cover and multiple events.

Lets hope new GFS has a clue.  Little nuke.

IMG_1361.thumb.PNG.97ac59e6f4ca914689795d740ad7d46e.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we can get one more snow event out of this month, it'll most certainly be the best November for winter in quite some time, given the like -7 departures to go with weeks of snow cover and multiple events.

Yeah it looks like this one is going to end up more on the snow side for some of us in NNE/CNE, Been a cold month to boot here as well as I sit typing in the woods at 10F. Lol

Just now, dryslot said:

Yeah it looks like this one is going to end up more on the snow side for some of us in NNE/CNE, Been a cold month to boot here as well as I sit typing in the woods at 10F. Lol

lol yeah... 7F on my car into work and it actually didn't feel that bad with no wind, unlike recent days of gusty winds and 0F.

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

A lot of people thought we had a chance of 2 east coast snowstorms lol

We might have to wait until mid to late December now

I’d say late December at least. Weeklies look pretty poor in the long range. Even if those features are transient, they aren’t clearing out probably until January.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Just cold and wet next 7-10 days. After that things improve 

That’s not even remotely certain either.    

November was/has been cold and gave us a real nice snow event and also gave record breaking cold. Can’t complain with that at all. 

But Looks like we we kind of get back to what we typically see for late November and December now...that’s why it’s always dangerous to lock in storms and patterns that are 8-10 days out...big fails are often not far behind that type of forecasting.

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Lets hope new GFS has a clue.  Little nuke.

IMG_1361.thumb.PNG.97ac59e6f4ca914689795d740ad7d46e.PNG

The current and future GFS couldn’t be more differet in the LR too. The latter is frigid.

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

Do you have any of the obs times for CON from back then? I find it hard to believe BOS was 10F at midnight and CON was 25F. Maybe the last ob of the day for CON was 7pm or something?

1875-11-29 39 25
1875-11-30 25 -17
1875-12-01 25 -14
1875-12-02 28 -5

Well now it is kind of cool that we still have paper copies hanging around the office, photocopied original coop log but still.

The 30th was transposed as -17 7 25, the high of 7 was crossed out and annotated 25. That's because the low the day before was 25. So either the 29th or the 30th is wrong. The mean temp for the 28th was actually 25, which makes me wonder if that accidentally got transposed into the low for the 29th.

All the regional newpapers at the time talk about how temps hovered near zero. "Monday was a fearful day. It had snowed some just before, and a high wind made one of the worst days known for years. Tuesday morning the thermometer marked a dozen degrees below zero, and this was not in our vicinity alone, but all over New England that it was very cold." That's from MPV.

Middleton, CT was 45 12 9 -1, which is wrong because you can't get that low of 12 and a high of 9 without missing some ob.

PWM was 35 5 6 -6

NYC was 46 14 14 5

So really CON seems more likely to have been 7 than 25 on the 30th.