• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October/November Mid/Long Range Disco

NorthArlington101

Saw the D15 EPS from last night. Certainly seems to be evolving in a decent direction. Since tonight’s weeklies initialize off that, it will be interesting if our extrapolation is correct.  Combined with MJO forcing, seems things could get favorable sometime in early December. No way to know how transient a good pattern will be though.

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Saw the D15 EPS from last night. Certainly seems to be evolving in a decent direction. Since tonight’s weeklies initialize off that, it will be interesting if our extrapolation is correct.  Combined with MJO forcing, seems things could get favorable sometime in early December. No way to know how transient a good pattern will be though.

Oh, you mean like, for December 5th?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Quick run down on some of the major features on the overnight runs.

GEFS is holding strong with the idea of a -NAO in the long range. Starts building roughly day 12 and looks to have some staying power. If we see that break the 10 day and especially the 7 day marker on future runs we can probably start believing it is the real deal. It is also trying hard to flip the +EPO in the longer range as the ridging over the Aleutions is migrating eastward. Also seeing a migration southward of the neg pressure anomalies towards the waters off of central/southern California. Possible cutoff low off the coast in our future? I believe that is a common feature seen during Ninos but correct me if I am wrong. GEFS also is setting up what looks to be somewhat stable low pressure in the Aluetians though at this point it is maybe a little to far north and west for our tastes.

EPS is jumping on the -NAO bandwagon as well. We are seeing an -NAO getting established as ridging begins building into Greenland roughly day 12. Also seeing an attempt to flip the +EPO as we seeing the Aleution ridging moving eastward as well. Also seeing some hints of a possible cutoff off the California coast. And the EPS is pretty much in lock step with the GEFS in regards to low pressure being established in the Aluetian Islands region.

All in all the runs were very favorable with the possible changes they are picking up on in the extended.

I think guidance might be rushing the evolution of the pattern a little but I agree in the direction. Towards the end it's moving towards establishing the exact pattern features we would expect if this is going the way of past favorable modoki nino years. 

I really don't care about snow threats until we get into December and we have a more legit chance anyways. A great pattern before then probably gets wasted anyways.  But I'm not seeing the kinds of things that could set up this time of year that are a bad omen. I'm content to let this percolate and evolve the way it's going. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think guidance might be rushing the evolution of the pattern a little but I agree in the direction. Towards the end it's moving towards establishing the exact pattern features we would expect if this is going the way of past favorable modoki nino years. 

I really don't care about snow threats until we get into December and we have a more legit chance anyways. A great pattern before then probably gets wasted anyways.  But I'm not seeing the kinds of things that could set up this time of year that are a bad omen. I'm content to let this percolate and evolve the way it's going. 

Exactly.

Let things develop through the next 30 days so around the 10th we could have a legit chance at a snow event.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

An odd evolution that’s bound to change but the euro has a wintry system D7/8

All the guidance is swinging some upper energy through the trough behind the Tuesday system. It's worth keeping an eye on. Obviously everything this time of year is a long shot. Still I'm loving seeing the repetitive idea of systems up the east coast everytime we get a trough. 

• Like 5

All the guidance is swinging some upper energy through the trough behind the Tuesday system. It's worth keeping an eye on. Obviously everything this time of year is a long shot. Still I'm loving seeing the repetitive idea of systems up the east coast everytime we get a trough. 

Couldn’t agree more...they won’t all be frozen but I think we will get our fill of tracking this winter. Can’t wait....
  • Like 1

Even at day 14 we're cold, with all that cold up in Canada and +PNA tendency. The Euro is cold throughout too. 

https://imgur.com/a/iO3opTC

Usually when you have such a cold anomaly in the North Atlantic, we will blowtorch a month later. We'll see with the Nino.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_12z/hgtcomp.html

The pattern keeps reminding me of 95-96

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Based on what I hear about the euro weeklies, the pattern evolves as we expect through the first week or two of December and then craps the bed the last two weeks. But whatever, very low skill at that range.

Taken at face value, not a great look for Dec overall. It has an ambiguous look for the most part to me. On to the next edition.

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Based on what I hear about the euro weeklies, the pattern evolves as we expect through the first week or two of December and then craps the bed the last two weeks. But whatever, very low skill at that range.

Muted and blah....no real strong signal of anything after early Dec.  Not a disaster but not what I was hoping to see for a strong Dec showing.  On a positive note...they will run again on Monday. 

3 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Muted and blah....no real strong signal of anything after early Dec.  Not a disaster but not what I was hoping to see for a strong Dec showing.  On a positive note...they will run again on Monday. 

Blah, is right ......... not what I expected, but goes along with many mets that feel December is warm. Oh well . There are times when the weeklies crap the bed too 

Euro is not perfect by far , weeklies have had intervals of great verification scores and then, not so good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Interesting model uncertainy has been occurring - and even the Euro struggling , as seen here :

Nothing set in stone yet. 

So based on the weeklies were off the latest Euro can easily change on this Monday. 

The Scand feature is highly interesting and a close fit to 2014,  player too maybe in a mid winter SSW with the current phase change of the QBO ad other factors.

The SSW is speculation, but the model changes are real . Bluewave commented a couple weeks ago maybe model swings are due to the battling of Nina and Nino   

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic