• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1,000,000th Sub-forum post imminent

klw

We are less than 500 posts away from the millionth post in this subforum.

And to think only 50K have been on how to define Southern NE, Central NE, and Northern NE.  Between the posts about Tolland's wonky electric system, wooly caterpillar, and PF's sweaters and Picnic Tables and I kind of shocked we didn't get here sooner!

How quickly would we get to 2,000,000 if this were to occur?

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_33.png

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

To think 1 person has probably 1/4 of the posts is mind blowing.  Scooter should get the honors 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

We appreciate the shoutout. But we would be nowhere without Scooters 125,000 posts. Without him... there is no us 

I thought of him but went with Will instead for his level headedness and miraculous memory

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I thought of him but went with Will instead for his level headedness and miraculous memory

Appreciate the kind words. It actually amazes me how long many of us have been doing this...and some like Jerry predated me on the primitive forums by 5 years. I started actually posting in 2004 on WWBB (though I had lurked even back to the ne.weather days in winter of 2000-2001). Jerry goes back to the TWC days. 

Given that these forums were started by true amateur weenies, I would personally give the honor (if we actually controlled it) of the millionth post to Jerry...consistency and longevity. Without the amateur weenies, we have no forum. Plus, I'm a sucker for nostalgia and he was the first one to really welcome me into the threads on WWBB when I broke out of my lurker shadow. Shoutout to ginxy too...I remember interacting with him very early on as well. He would be another candidate...been around the boards for decades now. 

It's amazing how many highs and lows we've gone through. The CT peeps had that stretch in Jan 2011, the E MA/RI crowd had the stretch in Jan/Feb 2015, the NNE peeps had dec 2007 and March 2017. Many single events mixed in including tornadoes, floods, TCs, ice storms, cold shots, heat waves, etc. We had the lows of 2011-2012 winter (2015-2016 for NNE) and the busted snowstorms and busted severe threats and underperforming air masses. Lol. The list goes on. But it's been a fun ride. Hopefully many more decades to come. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Appreciate the kind words. It actually amazes me how long many of us have been doing this...and some like Jerry predated me on the primitive forums by 5 years. I started actually posting in 2004 on WWBB (though I had lurked even back to the ne.weather days in winter of 2000-2001). Jerry goes back to the TWC days. 

Given that these forums were started by true amateur weenies, I would personally give the honor (if we actually controlled it) of the millionth post to Jerry...consistency and longevity. Without the amateur weenies, we have no forum. Plus, I'm a sucker for nostalgia and he was the first one to really welcome me into the threads on WWBB when I broke out of my lurker shadow. Shoutout to ginxy too...I remember interacting with him very early on as well. He would be another candidate...been around the boards for decades now. 

It's amazing how many highs and lows we've gone through. The CT peeps had that stretch in Jan 2011, the E MA/RI crowd had the stretch in Jan/Feb 2015, the NNE peeps had dec 2007 and March 2017. Many single events mixed in including tornadoes, floods, TCs, ice storms, cold shots, heat waves, etc. We had the lows of 2011-2012 winter (2015-2016 for NNE) and the busted snowstorms and busted severe threats and underperforming air masses. Lol. The list goes on. But it's been a fun ride. Hopefully many more decades to come. 

I don't post that much but a few of us go all the way back to Todd Gross's ne.weather on usenet.  I remember meeting him at Ch 7 around 1995.  He showed me this new thing called the internet and how some people were posting obs that he was incorporating into his forecast.  I immediately started going to the Harvard Square internet cafe that had a connection.  Then went out and bought a $2000 Pentium computer and signed onto AOL.  Vast amounts of weather data rapidly became available.  I'm 61 so some of you youngsters were probably not even born.

15 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I don't post that much but a few of us go all the way back to Todd Gross's ne.weather on usenet.  I remember meeting him at Ch 7 around 1995.  He showed me this new thing called the internet and how some people were posting obs that he was incorporating into his forecast.  I immediately started going to the Harvard Square internet cafe that had a connection.  Then went out and bought a $2000 Pentium computer and signed onto AOL.  Vast amounts of weather data rapidly became available.  I'm 61 so some of you youngsters were probably not even born.

ne.weather was probably the first forum type service where people could interact and it was specific to New England.  I know Compuserve and a few other dial-up services had weather services/forums but it was for people all over so it was hard getting specific data or analysis specific to New England so it was nice when ne.weather came about.  I was apart of that "scene" before I stopped working in the field professionally so I never moved over to the Wright Weather Board when it came about so I missed connecting with a lot of you then.  While you can get so much data now just about anywhere, it's really nice have the collective memories and analysis you get here.

This board is a pretty good wealth of knowledge all around. I definitely was much more of a post whore before the second child, but smart phones make it easy to post and run too. Hopefully this winter I'll try to post more images explaining some thoughts. It's a fun place to interact and talk weather...and develop friends along the way. Sickos unite. Here's to a good winter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

ne.weather was probably the first forum type service where people could interact and it was specific to New England.  I know Compuserve and a few other dial-up services had weather services/forums but it was for people all over so it was hard getting specific data or analysis specific to New England so it was nice when ne.weather came about.  I was apart of that "scene" before I stopped working in the field professionally so I never moved over to the Wright Weather Board when it came about so I missed connecting with a lot of you then.  While you can get so much data now just about anywhere, it's really nice have the collective memories and analysis you get here.

Ne.weather did eventually include a lot of Mid-Atlantic folks too. I specifically remember DT getting absolutely eviscorated by M.A. weenies for pulling the plug on the March 2001 threat when the ETAx and Euro started ticking north about 84 hours out...there were some epic clashes. But I remember it so well because that's when I really learned about the "EE rule" he came up with. 

53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ne.weather did eventually include a lot of Mid-Atlantic folks too. I specifically remember DT getting absolutely eviscorated by M.A. weenies for pulling the plug on the March 2001 threat when the ETAx and Euro started ticking north about 84 hours out...there were some epic clashes. But I remember it so well because that's when I really learned about the "EE rule" he came up with. 

Yeah I remember when DT first started posting.  

14 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Ahh the good ol ne.weather days. Jack hating on DT. DT hating on Craig. A lot hating on Joey and his cats...lol. Good times.

Crazy that you'd remember all those names...but then again why do I remember some of them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Really? I thought this place was always a huge sausage fest and concluded women were just less interested in discussing weather. I know every woman I ever dated certainly was...

Actually to be fair...we used to have Stratus Love, Amy B, and Turtle...I sure do miss them...

So I guess back in the day, we actually did have more women...

I was just being a smartass and joining in the "reminiscing"