Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We use borax in the laundry (whites only), and a 50-50 mix with granular sugar has dealt with the carpenter ants that try to eat our cabin.  The critters apparently can tell that the sugar is worth carting back to the nest but can't differentiate it from the borax, which wipes out the home base.  I'd recommend putting whatever is used in places where pets/kids can't get them.  When I placed 4-5 this summer, one was on the front porch with a board set about 1/2" above the mix (was in a margarine container lid) and we found a dead mouse lying right on the stuff a few days later.

Still slightly (about 1") BN for precip on the year, despite 5.5" over the past 2 weeks.  The Friday and Tuesday storms should bring us up to par.

Need to sweeten those little buggers up before dehydrating them, You can sprinkle a little food grade diatomaceous earth as well and that will take care of those ants, spiders and a whole host of others including fleas and bed bugs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Need to sweeten those little buggers up before dehydrating them, You can sprinkle a little food grade diatomaceous earth as well and that will take care of those ants, spiders and a whole host of others including fleas and bed bugs.

A lot of people use DE for poultry mites. I put a little bit of it in their dust bathing bins. If you use it just do your best to not breathe any of it in...it can be quite the lung irritant.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A lot of people use DE for poultry mites. I put a little bit of it in their dust bathing bins. If you use it just do your best to not breathe any of it in...it can be quite the lung irritant.

Yup, One of the warnings on the bag about inhaling it, Its also used in grain silos,  I usually wear a mask in an area that's enclosed, But i also have the applicator bottle with the various tips, Good stuff and very effective.

6 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

2.66" thru 7 days this month.  Any issues about dry conditions ended over a month ago.

16.28" of rain since Sept 1st. ~21" since August 1st.  August was the transition month as the WAR broke down.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

damn. only 7.28" here

Pffff'  let me know when you have some real totals.

38" in Greenfield since July 1!

9 hours ago, dryslot said:

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I totally forgot to stop coming home from work today. I’ll stop tomorrow.

In the meantime I sprayed some white vinegar and wRm water where I’ve seen them. Supposedly this eliminates their trail, and they can’t stand the smell.

Not really important I guess, but does anyone know why I only see them in the morning when I’m leaving for work st about quarter to six? 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I totally forgot to stop coming home from work today. I’ll stop tomorrow.

In the meantime I sprayed some white vinegar and wRm water where I’ve seen them. Supposedly this eliminates their trail, and they can’t stand the smell.

Not really important I guess, but does anyone know why I only see them in the morning when I’m leaving for work st about quarter to six? 

Maybe they're still hanging around after you leave for work? ;)

We get the little sugar ants like that and sometimes the medium sized carpenter ones too. Usually it's after a very wet stretch during the warm season so maybe they're just looking for a dry place to colonize.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Maybe they're still hanging around after you leave for work? ;)

We get the little sugar ants like that and sometimes the medium sized carpenter ones too. Usually it's after a very wet stretch during the warm season so maybe they're just looking for a dry place to colonize.

Lol...maybe. I just find it bizarre that when I get home in the afternoon. No ants. Even when I’m up late on the weekend, no ants, just at that time in the morning.

And yeah, they are very small, so I’m guessing sugar ants. Fiancés old house had issues with carpenter ants once, and they were pretty big and distinct, so I’m almost posting these aren’t them.

Its also been ridiculously wet here over the last month and a half, so I’m guessing that is a factor 

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Repeat the first week of Dec 98 and then flip the switch.

98 was blur...graduated bootcamp in December of 98, just in time to be home for christmas. Combat training was camp lejeune NC, graduated around jan21st, then got my orders and was immediately off to 29 palms CA. I have no idea what the summer of 98 was like for New England, nor do i remember anything about that winter

First week of December 98 was a true torch by anyone's definition. My first child was born 12/4/98. When it was time to go home, my wife put about 100 layers of clothes on the baby. I said that's way too much, it's warm out. My wife, knowing I love the cold, was less than impressed by my suggestion. The nurses managed to convince my wife that it was indeed in the 70's outside.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 8:41 AM, Lava Rock said:

This is probably all we can expect for growth of our latest lawn project. One semi-warm day tomorrow then into the ice box.

capture1.jpg

you can make that work, I've seen worse starts end up ok. just need to feed it, keep it wet and control weeds next growing season.

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Terrible day. Who wants this in late fall? Thankfully we were all inside working all day 

Apparently you do considering you "liked" the post below.

14 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Probably some more of this heading into December hopefully.