Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Models and Pattern: The March to Fall

moneypitmike

On 9/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, powderfreak said:

Seeing bright banding on the leading edge of the precip shield is a sign of the changing times.  The initial snow/mixed level is like 6,000ft with the initial wet bulbing as this moisture moves into the dry air mass.  

IMG_0542.GIF.04a23096b7e291d0e231ff5f210aeb00.GIF

Funny I made this post because it looks like there was proof of snowflakes flying at 5,000ft in the Adirondacks when this initially moved in.

This video from a local weather anchor out of Plattsburgh, NY does show snowflakes on Whiteface.

• Like 3

Predict with a high degree of confidence that before the end of the month the GFS will be trying to sell a snow event all the way down to < 1,000 el N of NJ ...and every one will employ the usual mantra defense mechanism of how horrible of a model it is ...when in reality they're hand ringing.  Oh yeah... prior to peak color

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Predict with a high degree of confidence that before the end of the month the GFS will be trying to sell a snow event all the way down to < 1,000 el N of NJ ...and every one will employ the usual mantra defense mechanism of how horrible of a model it is ...when in reality they're hand ringing.  Oh yeah... prior to peak color

Speaking from experience huh? ;) 

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Funny I made this post because it looks like there was proof of snowflakes flying at 5,000ft in the Adirondacks when this initially moved in.

This video from a local weather anchor out of Plattsburgh, NY does show snowflakes on Whiteface.

Great stuff as usual PF – sweet to have those ground observations confirming your thoughts.

hashtagnice.jpg

I guess we still have to get through this week of hellish dew points though – not sure how folks are going to survive lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s, but hopefully they’ll manage.

8 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Wa-hooow what a fantastic gunk day that is out there today. 

Slow moving downpours pulsing inside a general ambiance of diarrhea speeding thru the region at a hasty inches per hour - may as well be, Sunday Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday this week. 

Welcome to the summer WCT just experienced. 

Seriously though, the super typhoon will probably have a larger say in the longwave pattern, but 4 named storms in the Atlantic will certainly shake up the heat balance. 

But recurving TCs can have fairly predictable downstream consequences, especially when they go through ET transition/re-intensification.

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Seriously though, the super typhoon will probably have a larger say in the longwave pattern, but 4 named storms in the Atlantic will certainly shake up the heat balance. 

But recurving TCs can have fairly predictable downstream consequences, especially when they go through ET transition/re-intensification.

I keep coming back to the regime change vs W. Pac TC causal link to that, as not being sure which precedes ...

The pattern in the GFS members/derivatives (EOFs) are signaling a major autumnal push beginning in about 7-10 days - but is that "anyway" or... is it because of the recurving... 

In other words - and this is supposition based upon observation - it is not entirely clear to me that the recurving TC and transition kinematics 'drives' the changes ... perhaps more so it re-enforces it. I am inclined (intuitively...) to suspect that the the hemisphere is changing and the TC's are caught up into it, Then...as their latent heat fluxes into the circulation eddies, and intensifies those gradients, ...that then transitively adds amplitude to the new regime - so more at positive feedback.   

That all said, yeah... either way, its pretty clear that the last week of September is destined to a much different hemispheric look - 

And by the way... I have noticed over the last five years since the GFS' computational upgrades ... that model tends to 'over do' that first tendency to +PNAP amplification of the year every late summer and early autumn.  

It will drive these -3 SD 500 mb atmospheric singularities through Ontario and sweep blue thicknesses and what actually verifies is more like sweet autumnal air with a tinge of frost at night.  

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I keep coming back to the regime change vs W. Pac TC causal link to that, as not being sure which precedes ...

The pattern in the GFS members/derivatives (EOFs) are signaling a major autumnal push beginning in about 7-10 days - but is that "anyway" or... is it because of the recurving... 

In other words - and this is supposition based upon observation - it is not entirely clear to me that the recurving TC and transition kinematics 'drives' the changes ... perhaps more so it re-enforces it. I am inclined (intuitively...) to suspect that the the hemisphere is changing and the TC's are caught up into it, Then...as their latent heat fluxes into the circulation eddies, and intensifies those gradients, ...that then transitively adds amplitude to the new regime - so more at positive feedback.   

That all said, yeah... either way, its pretty clear that the last week of September is destined to a much different hemispheric look - 

That very well could be. I mean this time of year big cold fronts are likely anyway, but a recurving TC building up a big ridge can certainly facilitate a surge of cold air southward.

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

countering this, it seems is Mangkhut barreling west into Asia as a Cat 4 ... not recurving .. usu correlated with a warm surge in the CONUS in about 10 days, no? That would put warmth into the last week of Sept.  - What the GFS is signaling.