Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September Models and Pattern: The March to Fall

moneypitmike

51 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

We start as a torch for sure, are there any signs of the heat/humid pattern breaking down? Looks like small intervals of seasonable/BN with long swaths of AAN. 

Other than climo slowly arguing for a tick down, don't see a massive pattern change. I do think after 9/15 we may have more cooler intrusions...naturally climo helps too. But September looks to be on the warmer side. 

August recap... warmest August in 120+ years at BTV and 2nd warmest at Montpelier (since 1947).  

One thing sticks out to me...how despite the 2nd warmest August at MPV, their highest temp was only 88F compared to 97F at BTV.  

And the average lows were record breaking but the average highs weren't even top 10 at Montpelier.  The departures are all in the overnight minimums.

40508788_2176550105750212_75834223635306

I dunno - it's not a clean look for "torch" - subjectivity of that term, notwithstanding..

About the only aspect of the recent modeling that argues for a hot first half of September are in fact the geopential heights. 

However ... the models continue consummately creating idiosyncrasies in just about every other parameter in order to keep the lower troposphere cool relative to that canvas.  Both the Euro and GGEM are as near as day four with a back-door front blithely cutting under 594 heights.  Yeah, they may bust but who knows -

Be it easterly wind components... highs sneak wedging from the N... or, lack of actually significant SD warmth in the lower thickness...  I've been referring to it as a "gutted" ridge - it's all hollowed out of key parameters that would otherwise "fill" it with the heat.

One aspect that could push the positive departures a bit higher are the nighttime lows... As has been the case much of the summer, most of that heat has been absorbed into the theta-e/WV - meaning very high DPs.  NCEPs been mentioning the elevated nighttime lows much of the summer, but they've stayed out of discussing why... I think we all know, when driving down highways at some 70 mph and the smell of mold wafts in so pungent you crinkle your nose every now and again...it's been a dank summer. And that odor permeates under a summer sun, too.  I tried to mow my lawn last weekend ... two days after any rain at all, in the heat and sun... You could see beads of water - the mulch was clogging and stalling the machine, while my feet ended up soaked.  It's been sickly moist, to go with the concomitant warmth that has to come with holding that much DP in the air - just not exceptionally hot... the former causing that limitation.  I have actively engaging gardeners describing overall blight's so bad it's hearkening to something out of the Plagues Of Egypt.

Anyway, this may continue to characterize these next two weeks...with any seasonal cool (like today) replaced by returning high DPs with so-so actual high temperatures... I certainly don't think that "autumn" is afoot until the pattern meaningfully breaks down... not.  However, despite these idiosyncrasies described about... the bounce back is heading up, not down.

50 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I dunno - it's not a clean look for "torch" - subjectivity of that term, notwithstanding..

About the only aspect of the recent modeling that argues for a hot first half of September are in fact the geopential heights. 

However ... the models continue consummately creating idiosyncrasies in just about every other parameter in order to keep the lower troposphere cool relative to that canvas.  Both the Euro and GGEM are as near as day four with a back-door front blithely cutting under 594 heights.  Yeah, they may bust but who knows -

Be it easterly wind components... highs sneak wedging from the N... or, lack of actually significant SD warmth in the lower thickness...  I've been referring to it as a "gutted" ridge - it's all hollowed out of key parameters that would otherwise "fill" it with the heat.

One aspect that could push the positive departures a bit higher are the nighttime lows... As has been the case much of the summer, most of that heat has been absorbed into the theta-e/WV - meaning very high DPs.  NCEPs been mentioning the elevated nighttime lows much of the summer, but they've stayed out of discussing why... I think we all know, when driving down highways at some 70 mph and the smell of mold wafts in so pungent you crinkle your nose every now and again...it's been a dank summer. And that odor permeates under a summer sun, too.  I tried to mow my lawn last weekend ... two days after any rain at all, in the heat and sun... You could see beads of water - the mulch was clogging and stalling the machine, while my feet ended up soaked.  It's been sickly moist, to go with the concomitant warmth that has to come with holding that much DP in the air - just not exceptionally hot... the former causing that limitation.  I have actively engaging gardeners describing overall blight's so bad it's hearkening to something out of the Plagues Of Egypt.

Anyway, this may continue to characterize these next two weeks...with any seasonal cool (like today) replaced by returning high DPs with so-so actual high temperatures... I certainly don't think that "autumn" is afoot until the pattern meaningfully breaks down... not.  However, despite these idiosyncrasies described about... the bounce back is heading up, not down.

Things have really dried out. Most of us in SNE are coming up on 2 weeks with no rain . Granted with 6-8” of rain in August, we aren’t entering a drought quite yet. But the top few inches of soil is very dry now. I mowed today and the tractor was throwing a lot of dust into air in places . Many lawns are just starting to burn out again after a near 2 week dry spell, torch after torch and sun with no rain in sight . Amazing how we go from feast to famine . We seen to be in a repetitive pattern of dry autumns the last few years 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Things have really dried out. Most of us in SNE are coming up on 2 weeks with no rain . Granted with 6-8” of rain in August, we aren’t entering a drought quite yet. But the top few inches of soil is very dry now. I mowed today and the tractor was throwing a lot of dust into air in places . Many lawns are just starting to burn out again after a near 2 week dry spell, torch after torch and sun with no rain in sight . Amazing how we go from feast to famine . We seen to be in a repetitive pattern of dry autumns the last few years 

Yup going brown here to

I dunno.. to me if anything, the pattern looks more autumnal rather abruptly overnight ... Hey, man - you could all be right about September ... and we'll go on to notching up a +8 month.. But it won't be because of the teleconnector spread ...nor the longer range model tendencies. All of which argue for lowering heights across midriff Canadian shield becoming more coherent by mid month. That means an increased gradient and strengthening jet along the 50th parallel, in the means...  Anyone with an iota of worth knows ... sustaining lofty numbers over New England would be next to impossible should that occur, regardless of yellow, orange, and red paint on anomaly products over St Louis - although I'm not sure what's driving the day's popular voice.

If we end up +1 for September, that doesn't count, either. Frankly, I'm starting to wonder if the atmosphere has to work extra hard to make 0.0 averages as the new 'normal' is +.5 to account of a GW curve that doesn't happen here - right?  

I do agree with Scott re the tropics ...   I'll add, the ridge along and off the EC that is currently being mistaken as a 'WAR' ridge... it's unusual 'tallness' in the troposphere is causing the compensating collapse of the geopotential medium farther east ~ 55W.  True WAR ridges are mere extension of the Atlantic semi-permanent subtropical construct and this thing this week isn't integrated that way but ..that's something else.  Anyway, said collapse appears to be the impetus for drawing [in the models] Florence polarward early.  Not sure how/if to even correct that. We've been dealing with unusually tall heights all summer... Having yet another closed off 594 dam ridge node blossoming in the vicinity of the EC isn't really wrong ...and, basic wave-length argument should supply a compensating trough somewhere east of it. Yeah... It'll be interesting to see where this goes... Hopefully the GGEM will be right and it curve due N and goes bye-bye... just to watch the Euro be wrong..  ha.  

'Course, there may be a Gulf bomb to contend with first.