• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

snowlover2

September 2018 General Discussion

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

We've had a string of warmer than average Septembers.  

I'll go on record now and say add another one to the list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hlcater said:

I hate September. If the tropics aren’t super active, it’s 30 days of zzzzzzzzzzzz. Least favorite month easily. 

Well, the first half of this September certainly shouldn't be zzzzz around here.  There should be good storm action nearly every day in the region.

10 hours ago, hlcater said:

I hate September. If the tropics aren’t super active, it’s 30 days of zzzzzzzzzzzz. Least favorite month easily. 

April is by far the worst month of the year. Cool and damp all day everyday. September often features mid summer warmth, football and hockey season start, and the trees starting to turn. It's also peak tropic season. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

April is by far the worst month of the year. Cool and damp all day everyday. September often features mid summer warmth, football and hockey season start, and the trees starting to turn. It's also peak tropic season. 

April always seems like it should produce more high-end severe weather (think Palm Sunday '65, 1991 or 2011 but further north/west, Rochelle-Fairdale '15) but more often turns out like this year (more snow than January lol).

Seems like September used to be a definite fall month when I was growing up (I remember many a day in the early part of the school year waiting for the bus in cold rain) but lately has behaved more like just an extension of summer.

• Like 1

April more snow than January lol).

Seems like September lately has behaved more like just an extension of summer.

Definitely seems like summer pushes further into fall and winter pushes further into spring since about 2005. I’ve really wanted to sit down and do the math and see if there’s more than perception to the prolonged season shift, just haven’t had the time yet.
  • Like 1

Looks like a nice surprise for the Detroit area today with the strong t'storms. It seems as though it was unexpected.

It doesn't make up for the joke of a severe weather season I'm sure, but it's definitely a little bit of something.

Had a shelf cloud follow me home from work about an hour ago. It was starting to move overhead by the time I could get a pic so that's why it might not look as impressive but it was a nice one.

40565384_682787768787668_4587577237418541056_n.jpg

I found out something kind of interesting. Football games Nebraska vs. Akron. and Iowa State vs. South Dakota State were football games canceled for impending severe weather and lightning. (Lincoln NE and Ames IA)

Ended up tagging 94 yesterday, very warm start to the month for sure. Looks like a lot of rain coming later this week, remains to be seen if the remnants of Gordon wander this way. 

17 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Still 80 at ORD after 1AM.

79 DTW and 81 DET. The unfortunate part is that it will rain this evening and insure we don't set a record high min.

Glad this is the last day of this stuff for awhile...............

You’re telling me, nonstop heat and humidity out by me. Not much in the way of rain either, though it looks like I’m in the bullseye the next few days for a soaking. Might even put something in the crockpot and rent a movie.

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Another 90 at ORD.  You can put it on the board..... yes.

Wonder how many more there will be. No more in sight in the immediate future and you really start fighting climo in the back half of September and beyond. From a probabilistic standpoint, something like what happened in latter September 2017 (7 consecutive 90s... all daily records) is highly unlikely.  I wouldn't be surprised if today is the last one, but I wouldn't be surprised at one or two more either.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Wonder how many more there will be. No more in sight in the immediate future and you really start fighting climo in the back half of September and beyond. From a probabilistic standpoint, something like what happened in latter September 2017 (7 consecutive 90s... all daily records) is highly unlikely.  I wouldn't be surprised if today is the last one, but I wouldn't be surprised at one or two more either.

I forgot about that anomalous heat last September...I guess I try to block out warm wx as much as possible. :ph34r:

7 consecutive daily records...wow.