Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
USCAPEWEATHERAF

SNE Tropical Weather Discussion - Hurricanes

Recommended Posts

I am beginning this thread for the threats that New England will see in the future and right now 96L invest is showing signs of development with an increase in convergence in the surface layer, along with the organization of the surface flow around the low.  Convection remains disorganized, but the potential for a hurricane to just miss New England looks like a possibility.  Forecast depends upon the strength of the Bermuda High.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should remove the suffix "- Hurricanes" from that title, James..

Those that engage in the hobby of weather-related social media, they get it already?  As in ...yeah, we know ... Hurricanes, they are part of the tropics. 

When you put that in the title, it thus 'sounds' a little less like one seeking a tropical -based discussion source, and more like one seeking Hurricane and anecdotes - is story telling and drama what you're really after?  I mean, fact of the matter is Hurricanes are in fact NOT very synonymous with New England ... they just are once in a while ...usually, a long while, much to the chagrin of the hype - most are aware of this latter facet as well, so it's an odd pairing for your thread.

I'm just offering that you might attract more earthly rooted analysis and hypothesis/contribution ...get that going, if you didn't suffix titles with "cosmic ray burst!' at the end of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The story of my life when it comes to tropical. At least I have a better shot here than in DC :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw an anecdote about Hurricane Fabio in the E. Pacific becoming the earliest named F-storm. It beat out a storm from 1984 and 1985, which was the Gloria year. I know every year is different but wonder if there's any correlation to high activity in the E. Pacific and east coast/NE impacting storms later in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly eastern New England need to watch Chris as the models are trending closer and would be a hurricane as it passes by but the UKMET is showing SE Massachusetts landfall as a hurricane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I’ve been getting a huge laugh at reading tweets about how people in New England needed to “watch” Chris :lmao: 

There are some pretty bizarre folks on some of the traditional social media weather pages

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There are some pretty bizarre folks on some of the traditional social media weather pages

Twitter can be a big riot. I get a kick out of the "models could still trend west" or "I think models will trend west" posts...even know there is no sound meteorological reasoning for why. Its more wishcasting than anything. I mean with Chris...we only have a stalled boundary off the coast and then another frontal boundary pushing off the cast but let's disregard that and still think Chris could have came west. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next 10-14 days seems ominous for the East Coast chances for a hurricane strike.  The A/B high redevelops from central position to a Bermuda position pushing any disturbances that develop east of the Caribbean into the Caribbean Sea or into the Florida and Gulf coast.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, yoda said:

Going to be kind of hard for a hurricane to develop when NHC has no signs of tropical activity for the next 5 days

I'm just saying if they develop, I am not saying they will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wake me in September

Yawn...   Have not experienced even a 30-mph gust from a TC since Floyd.  Irene was wet but the wind was gone before she got this far north.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Yawn...   Have not experienced even a 30-mph gust from a TC since Floyd.  Irene was wet but the wind was gone before she got this far north.

I have not experienced a "real" hurricane in my lifetime. I was a toddler during Gloria, in northern VT for Bob, Irene jogged left into NC and Sandy was pretty meh in Boston. I only remember the rain from Floyd. One of these years we'll get a bonafide smack, but who knows when. NE can go a century or more without a significant cane. Of course, given the cost in lives, property and societal disruption a major strike would entail, I'm kind of okay with that long return period.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hoth said:

I have not experienced a "real" hurricane in my lifetime. I was a toddler during Gloria, in northern VT for Bob, Irene jogged left into NC and Sandy was pretty meh in Boston. I only remember the rain from Floyd. One of these years we'll get a bonafide smack, but who knows when. NE can go a century or more without a significant cane. Of course, given the cost in lives, property and societal disruption a major strike would entail, I'm kind of okay with that long return period.

Nor have I - doubt I've experienced hurricane force in gusts, though the top 2 events on the list below may have gusted to 70.  I still can't decide which was the stronger.  1950 tipped more trees, but the oaks had a few more old leaves hanging in late Nov than late Dec, plus the ground was partially frozen for the 1962 winds.

1a, Nov 1950 Apps gale
1b, Dec 31, 1962 - backside NW winds from the Bangor blizzard
3,  Oct 1954  Hazel
4,  Aug 1991  Bob
5,  Aug 1971  Doria
6,  April 1982 blizzard
For #4 we lived in S.Maine, #6 in N.Maine, the others in NNJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its going to take a lot for me to get pumped about a tropical system as far as potential impact in our area goes...people jump waaaay to prematurely and look for reasons for it to happen.

The prudent course of action is to seek out ways for it to not happen.....in this region, its going to have to be pretty late in the game under exotically unique circimstances to not find one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its going to take a lot for me to get pumped about a tropical system as far as potential impact in our area goes...people jump waaaay to prematurely and look for reasons for it to happen.

The prudent course of action is to seek out ways for it to not happen.....in this region, its going to have to be pretty late in the game under exotically unique circimstances to not find one.

EXACTLY!!!!! This needs to be printed on a tee-shirt. The same can be said as well for just about any weather event. 

There are so many factors to consider when talking about a potential impact from a tropical system around our parts...that's why our average is like every 10 years for a hit or a landfall (believe that's hurricane...not sure if that includes tropical storm). 

Anyways there is more to it than just ridging or high pressure in the western Atlantic...the atmospheric pattern configuration across the United States is critical as well...especially with the timing and amplitude of any trough which may be pushing into or digging into the east. Then you have to worry about frontal boundaries moving through. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

EXACTLY!!!!! This needs to be printed on a tee-shirt. The same can be said as well for just about any weather event. 

There are so many factors to consider when talking about a potential impact from a tropical system around our parts...that's why our average is like every 10 years for a hit or a landfall (believe that's hurricane...not sure if that includes tropical storm). 

Anyways there is more to it than just ridging or high pressure in the western Atlantic...the atmospheric pattern configuration across the United States is critical as well...especially with the timing and amplitude of any trough which may be pushing into or digging into the east. Then you have to worry about frontal boundaries moving through. 

That's why I love tracking tropical. Aside from the still evolving field of intensity prediction, watching and analyzing how upper level patterns and other features influence steering is absolutely fascinating. I think it's the only wx category that I will generally care about even if there's no real chance of production IMBY. 

Much more likely to get action chasing tropical than waiting for it to make a visit around here. That said, I'm probably more likely to get a hit here than in DC :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That's why I love tracking tropical. Aside from the still evolving field of intensity prediction, watching and analyzing how upper level patterns and other features influence steering is absolutely fascinating. I think it's the only wx category that I will generally care about even if there's no real chance of production IMBY. 

Much more likely to get action chasing tropical than waiting for it to make a visit around here. That said, I'm probably more likely to get a hit here than in DC :lol: 

Totally agree here. If you're able to have an understanding of how this sort of stuff influences tropical (development, intensity, track, etc) you have a very strong likelihood of "beating" forecast models. Do you remember a couple years back there was this tropical system off the coast of FL and even 3 days out most models and the spaghetti plot tracks all showed a hit into New England? I kept telling people at school I didn't think that had any chance of verifying just because the atmospheric pattern did not support a track into New England or up the coast. The system ended up doing a fuwijara (or whatever it's called) off the coast of FL lmao. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Totally agree here. If you're able to have an understanding of how this sort of stuff influences tropical (development, intensity, track, etc) you have a very strong likelihood of "beating" forecast models. Do you remember a couple years back there was this tropical system off the coast of FL and even 3 days out most models and the spaghetti plot tracks all showed a hit into New England? I kept telling people at school I didn't think that had any chance of verifying just because the atmospheric pattern did not support a track into New England or up the coast. The system ended up doing a fuwijara (or whatever it's called) off the coast of FL lmao. 

I think I remember. Was that Joaquin? We've had a number of tropical systems in the last few years that were forecast to strike the EC only to get kicked OTS. Even in the dull years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think I remember. Was that Joaquin? We've had a number of tropical systems in the last few years that were forecast to strike the EC only to get kicked OTS. Even in the dull years. 

yeah that night have been the one...or was it the one that began with an H? Hermine or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

yeah that night have been the one...or was it the one that began with an H? Hermine or something

That was the one. I actually got tropical storm force wind out on the island for a few hours with that one. The roar in the trees was pretty impressive for a depleted she'll of a storm. Made me glad to be in a house that survived every cane from '38 to the present. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That was the one. I actually got tropical storm force wind out on the island for a few hours with that one. The roar in the trees was pretty impressive for a depleted she'll of a storm. Made me glad to be in a house that survived every cane from '38 to the present. 

That did eventually make a move up the coast right...but like several days later? It actually ended up making like a decent jog west too at the last second lol. It sort of rode up along the boundary as it stalled off the coast...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. At one point the NHC forecasted Joaquin to strike the US in its 5 day forecast, but that never happened. Hermine went up the coast, hooked west, stalled, and did a little loop south of Long Island. 

Last year I chased a PTC at Virginia Beach that never got over the hump, but I still got some sustained TS wind and a gust to 45. Felt good lol. 

I just need a quick hitting cat 1 strike somewhere NOT in Texas :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoth said:

That was the one. I actually got tropical storm force wind out on the island for a few hours with that one. The roar in the trees was pretty impressive for a depleted she'll of a storm. Made me glad to be in a house that survived every cane from '38 to the present. 

I'm always jonesing for some tropical action thanks to Gloria & Bob getting me hooked. But now that I'm on Fishers, my anticipation level is sky-high. I think I'm prepared for the inevitable disappointment but it will still sting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×