Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
summer banter thread

forkyfork

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not sure if the following situates any relevancy to your on-going monitor but the usual candidate operational models are flagging a robust CV development in just two or three days ...

The Euro actually induces Katrina track redux (not the system per se) as an entirely separate deal.

Might get a flurry of activity ...  The 200 mb velocity tendencies appear to reversing which may be a period of less suppression overall - nice to time that on top of the SST acme

GFS2.png.8e548f907cce4703fd9421d67900b8b

14 hours ago, Snow88 said:

GFS2.png.8e548f907cce4703fd9421d67900b8b

Error 1011 Ray ID: 451f4bbdda8d5a8c • 2018-08-29 13:17:05 UTC

Access denied

What happened?

The owner of this website (www.americanwx.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/forum/upload/monthly_2018_08/GFS2.png.8e548f907cce4703fd9421d67900b8b5.png).

21 minutes ago, doncat said:

Some final August and summer stats from my station.... Aug finished with a mean temp of 77.7 which ties with 1988 as 3rd warmest (2016 and 2005 are #1 and 2) ….. Met summer came in at 75.0 degrees which is 10th warmest...Rainfall of 17.66" is 7th wettest.

Great stats.  Thank you.   It’s amazing to see the differences in New York and the 5 boroughs

• Thanks 1

The mosquitoes have been awful lately. They seem completely undeterred by liberal applications of DEET and sting you in maddening places like eyelids and between fingers. I'd also like to file a complaint about the tent caterpillar nests defiling all my trees. While I'm at it, I have a bone to pick with the moths that wait at your door to follow you inside, then spend three days evading swats and bouncing around your computer screen while you try to work. And the spider webs strewn across the yard every single morning, intolerable. What am I missing?

All insects can gtfo except fireflies and ladybugs... and only enough ladybugs to eat the aphids, not assemble into disgusting mobs in every windowsill as soon as the temperature drops to 45 for an hour.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The mosquitoes have been awful lately. They seem completely undeterred by liberal applications of DEET and sting you in maddening places like eyelids and between fingers. I'd also like to file a complaint about the tent caterpillar nests defiling all my trees. While I'm at it, I have a bone to pick with the moths that wait at your door to follow you inside, then spend three days evading swats and bouncing around your computer screen while you try to work. And the spider webs strewn across the yard every single morning, intolerable. What am I missing?

All insects can gtfo except fireflies and ladybugs... and only enough ladybugs to eat the aphids, not assemble into disgusting mobs in every windowsill as soon as the temperature drops to 45 for an hour.

Violently agree.  Every year a spider manages to use my Davis as a starting point for one of its webs. Oh, you forget the yellow jackets and flies which have been terrible lately as well. 

• Like 2

Pretty rare for Boston and San Diego to have a warmest summer month at the same time. I guess this was the weather equivalent of a Boston and San Diego world series.

#Boston and #SanDiego are just two of the U.S. cities that had their warmest August on record: 78.1°F in San Diego (records go back to 1874) and 77.4°F in Boston (records go back to 1872). Mild in most of the Great Plains: 6th coolest in Rapid City. cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/tanal…pic.twitter.com/PGOnVzbPgK

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

45 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Violently agree.  Every year a spider manages to use my Davis as a starting point for one of its webs. Oh, you forget the yellow jackets and flies which have been terrible lately as well. 

This has definitely been the year of the bug. We have a spider cricket problem and have a few other unique critters that I could really do without in and about the house and yard. As for your skeeter problem, we use an essential oils cocktail that works wonders - Lavender, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree and Cedarwood - about 8-10 drops of each into ~6oz water into a spray bottle. Spray a fine mist all over yourself from the top of your head including your face to your feet hitting all of your clothing openings and the back of your knees liberally. You'll get a couple of minor bites but the true devastation ought to be reduced to near zero. I'll have them swarming my face when I'm riding but they rarely land and if they do it's only for a split second. This stuff also works wonders on ticks and chiggers.

It's already icky out there this morning, looks like a great day to hang out in the central AC :( 

The cicada killer wasps were particularly bad this year. We always get a nest and see a few flying around. This year we would sometimes see more than a dozen flying around at any given time. Luckily they tend to disappear rather quickly and all the heavy rain in August seemed to help as I've not seen them for 2 or 3 weeks now.

19 hours ago, forkyfork said:

bugs are great. buncha downers in this thread

Dude the stinging, biting insects have been overwhelming this year. Sometimes it's so unpleasant being outside and I'm an outdoor person through and through. Maybe your toxic NJ environment has reduced the insect population but up here in the clean zone it's pretty terrible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

oh no, mosquito bites! it's just like having cancer

It's not just mosquitoes, the variety of bugs this year is pretty amazing. See below...

1 hour ago, tim said:

...black fly warning for all south shore beaches.

last time we had a N wind the beaches were unbearable(last thurs)..think today will be 

the same..those sonsofbitches bite and too quick to swat..glad i'm in a/c today..

Yeah these things have been thick in some places up in the Hudson Valley and CT too. At the restaurant we were at last night they had to bring out citronella candles and surround the outside tables because at sunset they came out and it was unbearable. 

I hope it's not like that down there tomorrow, we're planning on coming down for our last beach day of the year.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

It's not just mosquitoes, the variety of bugs this year is pretty amazing. See below...

Yeah these things have been thick in some places up in the Hudson Valley and CT too. At the restaurant we were at last night they had to bring out citronella candles and surround the outside tables because at sunset they came out and it was unbearable. 

I hope it's not like that down there tomorrow, we're planning on coming down for our last beach day of the year.

Night times have been rough,,,the bugs they are a biting !

4 hours ago, tim said:

...black fly warning for all south shore beaches.

last time we had a N wind the beaches were unbearable(last thurs)..think today will be 

the same..those sonsofbitches bite and too quick to swat..glad i'm in a/c today..

Green fly's you mean?

I just reviewed all the months available[59] on the Climo Summary site for NYC and the score was 38AN to 21BN.   At one point we experienced 20 straight AN months!

This should go to 41/21 before anything changes.

Do not see how this is possible unless the Normal is a moving target.  It must be updated more frequently, or a shorter than 30 year norm period be determined to get us closer to 50-50. 

14 hours ago, tim said:

..no..the greenies you can swat plus they're bigger...those black flies only seem to appear when there is a north wind..

long beach surf guy knows what i'm talking about..

Absolute nightmare last week. Mid 90s on the sand and you had to have every inch of skin covered. They blow away mosquitos for annoyance factor. And they swarm