Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

24 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

No cream or sugar in that coffee? I need at least 20 ounces a day of the good stuff. Like right now it is time to make the afternoon brew.

Depends on my mood. I love cold brew...goes down easy for me versus hot black coffee. If I have hot I usually have a little cream or coconut milk with some maple syrup or raw honey. Sometimes I do the bulletproof coffee thing too when I'm feeling adventurous...butter/ghee, coconut butter, coconut oil/MCT oil, cinnamon, collagen powder, whey protein...etc.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Depends on my mood. I love cold brew...goes down easy for me versus hot black coffee. If I have hot I usually have a little cream or coconut milk with some maple syrup or raw honey. Sometimes I do the bulletproof coffee thing too when I'm feeling adventurous...butter/ghee, coconut butter, coconut oil/MCT oil, cinnamon, collagen powder, whey protein...etc.

Cold brew is amazing! Once the mornings start getting colder then I'll switch to hot coffee, but I don't want to sweat more than I have to. But maple syrup does go great in all coffee. My midwestern in-laws think we are nuts for putting maple syrup in coffee occasionally. The bulletproof think for me just too intense.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Ehhh in the end there really isn’t a whole lot out there that is truly healthy for you...especially in this day and age with all the crap out in stuff. 

And I must be an outlier b/c all those affects about leading to eating more and taking in more calories and gaining weight seems to have skipped me. As far as heart disease goes it runs pretty high in my family anyways. If something is in your genetics there isn’t much you can do. 

And all those effects listed (and the same thing goes with everything that’s bad out there) you’re not guaranteed to suffer from those effects...the odds just increase. 

But with all this said once I get myself on a less intensive schedule not having school and working 7 days a week I do plan on drastically changing my diet and start exercising. My diet now is horrific

11 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Cuz you're old.  Old guys only drink hot coffee.  

Color me old--hot all the way.

I was on a call with company headquarters the other day--it was funny to see the looks of horror on their faces when they watched me sip my Dunkin' Donuts coffee--out of a styrofoam cup.  They were shook.

7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Ehhh in the end there really isn’t a whole lot out there that is truly healthy for you...especially in this day and age with all the crap out in stuff. 

And I must be an outlier b/c all those affects about leading to eating more and taking in more calories and gaining weight seems to have skipped me. As far as heart disease goes it runs pretty high in my family anyways. If something is in your genetics there isn’t much you can do. 

And all those effects listed (and the same thing goes with everything that’s bad out there) you’re not guaranteed to suffer from those effects...the odds just increase. 

But with all this said once I get myself on a less intensive schedule not having school and working 7 days a week I do plan on drastically changing my diet and start exercising. My diet now is horrific

Use natural/raw sugar, if you’re going to sweet things up at all. And the downside of liquid sugar isn’t the extra calories, I see plenty of skinny people pound a pepsi. It’s all the other things that have been scientifically proven to negavtively impact the body and mind. You still in college chasing little girls, I get it, you feel indestructible....but life creeps on you hard and fast when you hit your 30s. 

Any electrical weenies out there?

I want to heat a 2nd temp/hum sensor about 5-10F above the ambient temp inside of a radiation shield. The purpose of this is strictly to calculate dewpoint. The temp doesn’t matter...the dewpoint should be accurate no matter what the artificial heating is. Basically I want to measure dewpoint without the threat of condensation on the sensor.

I figured I could do this with resistors. W = V^2/R (wattage = voltage squared divided by resistance)

So what kind of wattage would I want to raise the ambient by about 5-10F? I figured something small...like 3W to 5W? So if I aimed for 5W and powered this with 5V, I would want a 5ohm resistor, correct?

13 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Cuz you're old.  Old guys only drink hot coffee.  

I did it backwards.  My first coffee experience was at age 10 while visiting grandparents one summer, and it was iced coffee.  Never had hot coffee until after my 21st b'day, regular (cream & sugar) at break time with the carpenters for whom I was working.  Within a couple months I went to black, and 50+ years later that's still the way.  Tried latte once - hot milk with some coffee flavor, no thanks.  I do like espresso, however.  Also like DD's frozen coffee - coolatta was a better name, IMO - though even with skim milk it's a high-calorie indulgence.

For my age 19 and 20 summers I worked at Curtiss-Wright's company lake resort in NNJ, flipping burgers and brewing coffee by the gallon.  Iced tea consumption there went up and down with the wx, but coffee varied directly with the head count at the gate.  As a non-drinker of coffee, that puzzled me.  By far the most we ever sold came on the busiest day of those 2 summers, July 3, 1966 when NYC hit 103 nd EWR 105, with most NNJ sites in the 100-103 range.  Our wall thermometer, one of those cheap coil critters, was about 140-150 ("about", because the needle had gone a fair distance beyond the 120 mark, the end of the scale.)   What it was where I worked, 3 feet from the griddle, it was better not to know.