Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11-12 Storm - Model Discussion STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, T. August said:

4 or 5 total misses depending on where you are, so about 25% chance. That is a bit concerning.

We're inside of usefulness of the ensembles. There will be little if any spread. If the op shifts at 18z then so will the ensembles. Just stick with op runs now. Ensembles are best for 72-96+ hours. 

i think models can still bust.  jan 00 and march 01 are probably the most notorious ones in both directions.  technology has significantly improved, but it could be that advanced models are still subject to busts in complicated setups, like this one appears to be.  not really saying that we're going to get a jan 00, but this could be one of those scenarios where some big late game adjustments happen.

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're inside of usefulness of the ensembles. There will be little if any spread. If the op shifts at 18z then so will the ensembles. Just stick with op runs now. Ensembles are best for 72-96+ hours. 

I agree, but don’t you think they should be showing almost an identical solution to the OP?

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

They aren't to be used as the main guidance anymore but I still find some use. The gefs are north of the op. To me that does indicate some room to adjust north. Some very amped solutions in there. They can still point to if the op was on the south or north side of the envelope. Once inside 36 hours they become pretty useless but even at this range they have sometimes picked up hiccups in the op run. But their usefulness is different now then at day 5 for sure. But I do find the gefs having so many amped north solutions to be a good sign things could improve. 

8 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Wow, 12/22 get the 6 inch line at, or very close to DC. 

I like the cluster of lows to the west of the mean, the >50% that get 6” to DC (10:1 yadda yadda), and the more amped solutions than the OP.  It tells me that there may be more room for adjustments to a better OP solution.

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i think models can still bust.  jan 00 and march 01 are probably the most notorious ones in both directions.  technology has significantly improved, but it could be that advanced models are still subject to busts in complicated setups, like this one appears to be.  not really saying that we're going to get a jan 00, but this could be one of those scenarios where some big late game adjustments happen.

Agreed! Lots of moving parts here.  On the flip side, this could also end up being big for many .  I am hoping this storm takes on some Miller A features.  Dips south enough to  tap more GOM moisture and rides up the coast.  Right now it’s a transfer to the coast on GFS but  12 NAM looked liked it had more Miller A features based off my untrained eye.   

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

They aren't to be used as the main guidance anymore but I still find some use. The gefs are north of the op. To me that does indicate some room to adjust north. Some very amped solutions in there. They can still point to if the op was on the south or north side of the envelope. Once inside 36 hours they become pretty useless but even at this range they have sometimes picked up hiccups in the op run. But their usefulness is different now then at day 5 for sure. But I do find the gefs having so many amped north solutions to be a good sign things could improve. 

I don't disagree with the premise but those amped/north solutions are probably more of a byproduct of an amped/north op and/or control run than an expression of increased probability. If 18z comes in flat and disjointed then it's going to be a wholesale shift with the ensembles. I know you know this and I think we're on the same page but the short story is we both could have predicted that the GEFS is going to look really sweet based on the op run before the panels came out. 

What will you think if the euro makes no appreciable change from the 0z solution? We both know the EPS will also show low probability of a good hit too...then what? I would just blend the 2 ops and say the most likely outcome is somewhere in between. Now if the euro op makes a sig shift towards a gfs solution then it's probably game on for at least a portion of the sub... Tricky storm. 

14 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Seems like WPC still heavily favors the "north and west trend" as they put it

wpc_snow_72_50_maryland.thumb.png.5ed25f3d59f1c70e7af17fa5afb2b308.png

These probabilities were generated off the overnight runs (internal WPC snowfall used as the "mode") -- which are updated with the 06Z ensemble guidance and 00Z EPS by 13-14Z. The new probs, based on the 12Z deterministic guidance, will be out by 20Z, then the "updated" probs out once again by 02Z (based on the 18Z SREF/GEFS and 12Z EPS).  The probs are constantly getting "tweaked" with the latest ensemble members, even though the "mode" is only updated twice daily, based on the 00Z and 12Z model cycles.  Confusing yet? ;)

RGEM ensemble.  The first is the mean qpf as snow for hours 24-72.

5u6j7xq.png

The next two are the number of ensemble members showing at least 5 mm qpf (about 2" of snow assuming 10:1) and 15 mm qpf (about 6" of snow assuming 10:1).  These are for 48-72 hours, so they don't represent the storm total for southern areas.  I think these are reasonable estimates of our chances for now.

e5NEeps.png

Bkddtmq.png

3 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

These probabilities were generated off the overnight runs (internal WPC snowfall used as the "mode") -- which are updated with the 06Z ensemble guidance and 00Z EPS by 13-14Z. The new probs, based on the 12Z deterministic guidance, will be out by 20Z, then the "updated" probs out once again by 02Z (based on the 18Z SREF/GEFS and 12Z EPS).  The probs are constantly getting "tweaked" with the latest ensemble members, even though the "mode" is only updated twice daily, based on the 00Z and 12Z model cycles.  Confusing yet? ;)

Very much so, but thanks a ton for clearing this up ^_^

16 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Once the storm in getting organized and models are initialized with real time info then models should probably do fairly well with track and intensity at our latitude. North of us is still subject to cascading math errors but once things are rolling in the SE, our fate will be largely determined. I strongly believe that a Jan 2000 type of bust is very unlikely to occur ever again. Going from nothing at all to all in in under 24 hours is probably a thing of the past. Jan 2000 was literally a complete whiff for the entire State within 24 hours IIRC. 

Archived