Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

True...I bet those trees have seen better and stronger days too. Oh well. All they are is dust in the wind.

My folks have lost quite a few white pines in recent years. Sounds like a couple went down last night. They really have a suck root system.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Killer drifts at the end of that.

I keep seeing the words "blizzard", but did any spot in NYS verify blizzard conditions?

I think KMSV, Monticello NY may have, using the "frequent" gusts above 35 mph criteria.  Oneonta was a touch lower on winds so i'd say no for there. Attached is KMSV hourly obs snip from yesterday during peak "blizzardy" conditions.

20180303_115600.jpg

3 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Killer drifts at the end of that.

I keep seeing the words "blizzard", but did any spot in NYS verify blizzard conditions?

No doubt the mountains did and though for where people live, probably the high elevated farm/fields areas in the southern tier that have no trees for miles.  The actual official reporting stations in that area include like ALB-SYR-BGM and then there's a huge expanse of nothing in-between, haha. 

It's not like the I95 corridor or New England coastline where it seems there are stations stacked all over the place.  Also its really hard in the mountain valleys (despite being at like 1,500-2,000ft they are elevated valleys) when there's 3,000ft+ terrain around to block the wind.  You get gusts but hard to get sustained 30-40mph for hours on end when you have terrain blocking low level flows all over the place.

35 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I think KMSV, Monticello NY may have, using the "frequent" gusts above 35 mph criteria.  Oneonta was a touch lower on winds so i'd say no for there. Attached is KMSV hourly obs snip from yesterday during peak "blizzardy" conditions.

Ahhh I forgot about KMSV. 

Still not many official stations in that large geographic area.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh I forgot about KMSV. 

Still not many official stations in that large geographic area.

No there's not, it's pretty rural. Oneonta is another possibility in that area, the I-88 corridor, but they didn't verify Blizzard IMO, but close. Also not much south of there in the Catskills as far as official reporting stations. 

Actually.  Rochester (below) verified Blizzard conditions late Thursday night into Friday. No Blizzard headline was issued though. KBGM and KBUF are pretty tight with them even though many lake effect events qualify.  

20180303_124318.jpg

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I picked up a bunch after my run . Post up the pictures of the trees down there and hole in the roof!

I watched this biatch fall this morning due to saturated soils in my woods, holy loud. I patched the hole today, waiting for TBarry to bring shingles. Used flashing and flex seal for temp patch. Forgot my phone and wasn't climbing back down   I am feeling every inch of 61 after yesterday's stressful temp patch in 50 mph winds while branches were falling everywhere and permanent patch  branch pick up today.  

20180303_101742.jpg

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No doubt the mountains did and though for where people live, probably the high elevated farm/fields areas in the southern tier that have no trees for miles.  The actual official reporting stations in that area include like ALB-SYR-BGM and then there's a huge expanse of nothing in-between, haha. 

It's not like the I95 corridor or New England coastline where it seems there are stations stacked all over the place.  Also its really hard in the mountain valleys (despite being at like 1,500-2,000ft they are elevated valleys) when there's 3,000ft+ terrain around to block the wind.  You get gusts but hard to get sustained 30-40mph for hours on end when you have terrain blocking low level flows all over the place.

Yeah. As with any storm like this where very little human life forms are affected there's hardly been any discussion about it. If this thing ripped feet of snow east of the river we'd be seeing all kinds of stories about people "digging out"....tales of global warming receding, etc.    I would not be surprised if there were some spots close to 48"  not recorded.

Still struggling with embedding video, hope this works...

Copley around noon... a minute before this I saw a 2'x2' metal street sign hurtle over a block like a ninja star... and lost a pair of glasses in the process:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/258416482?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="640" height="1138" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://vimeo.com/258416482

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Town next to us, Braintree, had two schools that lost their roof. Damaging times.

The town I grew-up in. Hell of a wind storm for that section of the town. Can only imagine what it looks like in the Watson Park area. The Monatiquot river drains into Fore river and not really flood prone. Ross School is about a mile inland. Howard St. is where my mother was born on flooded. 
Chalk another up to one I missed. 

12 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

The town I grew-up in. Hell of a wind storm for that section of the town. Can only imagine what it looks like in the Watson Park area. The Monatiquot river drains into Fore river and not really flood prone. Ross School is about a mile inland. Howard St. is where my mother was born on flooded. 
Chalk another up to one I missed. 

Watson park was under sea water. 

One difference in April 97...  there was a preceding system that set up a reinforcing shot of very cold 850s to our east just before

12z 3/31 Monday morning, sub 0C 850s were lurking just to our north and east thanks to preceding system... and critically, 850 temps to our east were also sub-0C, so when low level jet started cranking, 850s stayed sub 0C as you can see Monday 18z... and the rest is history...

April_97_Comparison_18z.thumb.jpg.9db12596cf4a4fe38ac59be6a4661033.jpg

Just now, wxsniss said:

One difference in April 97...  there was a preceding system that set up a reinforcing shot of very cold 850s to our east just before

12z 3/31 Monday morning, sub 0C 850s were lurking just to our north and east thanks to preceding system... and critically, 850 temps to our east were also sub-0C, so when low level jet started cranking, 850s stayed sub 0C as you can see Monday 18z... and the rest is history...

April_97_Comparison_18z.thumb.jpg.9db12596cf4a4fe38ac59be6a4661033.jpg

It was pretty cold aloft..like just off the deck. And the airmass to our NE was good. You also had tremendous lift throughout the column to help cool. 

51 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I watched this biatch fall this morning due to saturated soils in my woods, holy loud. I patched the hole today, waiting for TBarry to bring shingles. Used flashing and flex seal for temp patch. Forgot my phone and wasn't climbing back down   I am feeling every inch of 61 after yesterday's stressful temp patch in 50 mph winds while branches were falling everywhere and permanent patch  branch pick up today.  

20180303_101742.jpg

Patch before we finished new shingles, back in bidness let it snow.

20180303_132722.jpg

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was pretty cold aloft..like just off the deck. And the airmass to our NE was good. You also had tremendous lift throughout the column to help cool. 

Yep... and thanks to the preceding system over Labrador that set up the fresh cold 850s to our north and east.

Strong 850 inflow from the east did not wreck the party like it did yesterday.

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Tree fell on the merit parkway and this guy just happens to have some burly axe. Haha

https://www.facebook.com/FOX61News/videos/vb.123526654356181/1920321674676661/?type=3&theater

Wth was that axe, no way dude finished before someone showed up with a chain saw, he's cutting into a knot, good luck with that 

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That video is amazing.  Now that's what a snowstorm looks like.

correct!!  that is the real deal not bs 18-30 to 1 fake snow....if i was ever lucky enough to experience something like that just once i would never again feel slighted....and no feb 13 around here wasn't close to that good....that is what parts of southern central ct mustve looked like (minus the pasting) in 2/13

Archived