Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

The winds are shaking my house here and I live a mile or two away. Seems like it'd be insane landing there

I don't know about landing, per se, but take off is preferred in a head wind actually.  I know the runways are orient generally west to east, so if they nose in the easterly direction they can get a lot of climb very quickly and thrust above the storm really in under a minute..  It's funny, we think of the atmosphere as this deep thing overhead, but really, three miles...that's 15.7 K feet...just three miles and 90% of this is undercast.  Not hard to get that short distance behind them when accelerating through 300 kts.

As far as landing goes, I think it's only really problematic for a 60 ton vehicle if it is a cross wind.. and the wind is pretty much thus also blowing parallel to descent trajectories. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I still say what really killed the snow was the fact that its not stalling for as long as it had appeared it would.....a few days ago, it was going strong until nearly dawn.

This harkens back to John's point this morning about the -PNA attributable se ridge keeping this relatively progressive for a fully captured tempest.

It is going to flip....but the heavy hitter rates are going to sink away. 

I can agree with that too..By the time the really  good rates get in and flip it, its fading SE and ending too quick.   

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Heh....heavy rates seem to already be done here.

As Will mentioned earlier and you can see on extended rad, there is a lob out east of Cape Ann that appears to swath through in a couple three hours... We'll see what that can do...

I loathe this storm.  It doesn't seem to like me either, raining sideways all day into the exposed north end of my house, and has somehow got water through the upstairs window, slow dripping its way down the wall and out the window underneath.  This is the sort of storm I loved as a kid in upstate New york, but now I'm well on the green end of it. 

Looked like a little meso low swirl on the radar over the cape.  Remarkable winds drenching rain, can't set foot outside, ugly as sin.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Who cares from my perspective.....like yay, her dress is off, as her dad's headlights illuminate the room.

Yea...thaaanks.

Lol yeah

I've been using the football analogies... feels like this is the year of painful 4th quarter comeback fails.

Let's see what this stuff can do in the 4th quarter... I just want to avoid a shutout, and banking on 18z NAM being correct:

Radar_6pm.thumb.jpg.6fa09ee4028a34d72c027d1cbfc04f2e.jpg

Archived