• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NW_of_GYX
    Newest Member
    NW_of_GYX

March 1-2 wind event

my weather station is still reporting, so im guessing i still have power at home. 

PEPCO outages still going up...we're about to top sandy in terms of statewide power outages (147,444 from Sandy)....currently at 145,272.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Just spiked up to 35K out in MoCo.  Was at 20K at 11.

I had a blip when that happened, luckily it didn't go out completely. We got a little period there with some serious wind.

Looks like we broke the Sandy number for state power outages...now at 162,487 customers.

We are running out of non critical areas to lose power in.  Once you get over 50k outages, you start hitting critical infrastructure.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We are running out of non critical areas to lose power in.  Once you get over 50k outages, you start hitting critical infrastructure.

I'm somehow escaping it. Power outages all around me.

Just went for a quick walk.  Winds were clearly stronger than when I was out around 9.  Probably strongest sustained period of winds since at least Isabelle.

• Like 1

so many reports of mod to sev turb today. im frankly surprised there weren't more cancellations. a flight over the Syracuse area even reported extreme turb. Nope nope nope.

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Just spiked up to 35K out in MoCo.  Was at 20K at 11.

Just had my strongest gust here in Clarksburg; 62.6mph.  Three trees down so far (in my mostly wooded lot).  One medium, healthy black cherry and two large tulip poplars that had compromised cores upon inspection.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Looks like we broke the Sandy number for state power outages...now at 162,487 customers.

Anyone know how many lost power during the derecho? Honestly, Sandy wasn't even that bad at my house. I feel like we've had some cold fronts and winter storms and other tropical systems come through that have either compared or even exceeded the winds with Sandy.

I saw some power flashes in the distance early this morning. Otherwise we have been lucky. I don't know if it's just this part of PG, but the east side of the beltway doesn't seem as affected as Western suburbs.

Well, it is noon. We were supposed to be past the worst of it now, but the monster gusts just keep roaring and roaring and roaring and roaring..

What if this storm refuses to budge

3 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

Per NWS twitter account, Dulles gusted to 71mph at 11:39 AM

Fredericksburg (EZF) just gusted to 63 mph 

Just saw from a good FAA source that Dulles gusted to 86 kt.   Can anyone confirm?

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If we can't all agree that this is a rare and very significant wind event then we will never agree on anything. 

Only way to beat this would be a tropical system landfalling west of us and hauling I think. The much fantasized Bay cane track, though even that would be shorter lived but stronger.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

If we can't all agree that this is a rare and very significant wind event then we will never agree on anything. 

I agree...we're about to hit 50k outages in Montgomery.  Top 5 event.  

It's an amazing event if you ask me. There is widespread wind damage in a 150 mile radius from DC. That's hard to get even with a tropical cyclone. I'm sure we've had some gusts near 70 miles per hour.

19 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I'm somehow escaping it. Power outages all around me.

Same here. Hope I did not spoil it. 

Have friends who live over in Lovettsville, VA who posted this photo. My friend actually saw the wind pick this up and toss it this morning. 

playstructure.jpg