• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

12z GFS looks like a disaster...i guess thats how some of the euro ensembles failed. But better that its south than north i guess at this point. Except we never get a north trend when we need it..and never get a south trend when we need it

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ji said:

12z GFS looks like a disaster...i guess thats how some of the euro ensembles failed. But better that its south than north i guess at this point. Except we never get a north trend when we need it..and never get a south trend when we need it

Right where we want it my man. Use this time to put up shading to protect your snow from sun angle season. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

For 7 day leads it looks very good to me. More cold available in the mid levels. As long as we don't trend to a rainstorm or lose the storm all together we're good. 

No complaints on my part. General overall look is still there. And with it being an op somewhat at range that is all that matters to me. Biggest takeaway I had is that the ridging in the west goes to town this run. That is one thing I don't want to see in future runs or we will probably end up with what we had this run, a progressive low.

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

CMC has nothing...not even a hint of a storm

There is a big different between needing a NORTH trend and needing a WEST trend.  Sometimes people confuse the two.  North trends happen much easier.  So many ways...more amplified system, slight shift north of boundary.... but west trends rarely work out (models are more often not progressive enough or phase too quickly) and usually when we need that its a fail.  I am fine with seeing a STJ system slide west to east south of us at this range.  This is not the same as needing a NW or W trend like both January storms that hit the immediate coastline.  

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There is a big different between needing a NORTH trend and needing a WEST trend.  Sometimes people confuse the two.  North trends happen much easier.  So many ways...more amplified system, slight shift north of boundary.... but west trends rarely work out (models are more often not progressive enough or phase too quickly) and usually when we need that its a fail.  I am fine with seeing a STJ system slide west to east south of us at this range.  This is not the same as needing a NW or W trend like both January storms that hit the immediate coastline.  

I don't think we're really even in "trend" range, esp in a season like this. The models should be more stable in a blocking regime and maybe the last event/s plus this week are modeled better than we saw early winter but still not amazing. Typical Nina stuff. I'd rather have a fat STJ bowling ball or something but the ensembles have been focusing in on a pretty solid pattern. I think for now we still have to mostly look at that and disregard a lot of the op details. We should start to get into a better place over the next few days.  It is March 10+... DC norm is 0.6" of snow from that point on... so people should probably not have insane expectations even though they will. 

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if the storm everyone is keying on (day 7) is a complete fail and the storm most have already dismissed (Wed storm) ends up being the haymaker? 

Okay commence with the bashing. :D

speaking of that...the ICON for next week(day  7) looks exactly like Wednesdays Fail. So Double Fail 

Just now, Cobalt said:

Well yeah, but it's better than having the GFS show zero, but from a rainstorm that jackpots central/western PA

well that wasnt happening. Its either snow or too far south. I guess the good thing is all those rainy solutions from 2 days are gone

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if the storm everyone is keying on (day 7) is a complete fail and the storm most have already dismissed (Wed storm) ends up being the haymaker? 

Okay commence with the bashing. :D

That thought has crossed my mind, though so has the though that we just miss on this one and the next one doesn't work out. That said, I still like our chances of a big storm to end the pattern and basically end winter.

1 minute ago, Ji said:

speaking of that...the ICON for next week(day  7) looks exactly like Wednesdays Fail. So Double Fail 

The GFS, ICON, and GGEM all manage to miss in the same general way.  They eject the energy in pieces and thus nothing really amplifies right.  That is a concern.  But the general setup is there and that is the kind of thing the models will struggle with.  A lot of times they start to pick up on discreet waves coming out at this range...and it messes things up.  Often there is SOME splitting of energy but in the end often the idea of a big storm comes back when the models then figure out which piece to key on and amplify.  It's way too soon to worry about any of it too much.  But I will admit that strung out ejection of waves is NOT what I wanted to see from the 12z guidance so far.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived