Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

GFS still says NAM is complete junk. SNE will not get smoked.

Good juju?

Canaan is the place to chase. Decent snow and not too far away.

Moved this from the old thread. I'm legitimately curious what the answer is.

I guess I don't understand the doom and gloom today. I was never that high on things that i felt we were likely to win. I did feel we had a chance. Maybe 30%. Still do.

Yea it would have been nice to get one of these early events as the pattern change to become a threat. But unless my memory is failing didn't we kind of know this march 1-2 thing was a LOOONG shot from 10 days ago?  I specifically remember numerous posts saying we probably are looking at the second to third week of march. 10-15 was thrown around a lot and not just by me. 

So not having anything before then work out sucks but I expected it. But the prime window we are looking at the 10-15 looks even better today then it did yesterday imo. The snow mean on both EPS and gefs went up for that period. It's only not up overall because the bogus fake snow from outliers this week fell off. 

So while I get pessimism what happened today that set everyone off on this negative?  Was it losing the 20" fantasy gfs op storm?  Or is there something I'm not seeing?  Were people actually expecting the rain storm this week that starts out north of Chicago with the 540 line near Montreal to trend south enough for us?  What looks worse today then yesterday that has the mood so down.

Yeah we are planning on heading to our place in McHenry Friday afternoon. Might need to make that Thursday night. 
I believe in the NAM and will head to Central Massachusetts. Looks like a massive walloping. 30 inches or bust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

GFS still says NAM is complete junk. SNE will not get smoked.

Good juju?

Canaan is the place to chase. Decent snow and not too far away.

They aren't that far apart. Nam is just 2-3 degrees colder at all levels and that makes all the difference. It's barely marginally snow on the nam much of the time. It's barely not snow on the gfs. The snow maps aside they aren't too far apart. Not like the euro thats on its own planet. But I don't care which is right both mean the same for us. Nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

its probably the worst run in the last 20 days

Agreed. It was a disaster. In every way. Nothing through day 8 matters since there are no threats there. But look at day 9...oh is that another ridge popping. And an AK vortex already destroying the pattern when it was supposed to be getting good...

IMG_4322.thumb.PNG.2dc642f48a6e51a58508e0390f0a5518.PNG

gee I wonder where that ridge is gonna go by the middle of what was our threat window on then 12z run. 

IMG_4323.thumb.PNG.54c962f2360053a9a5def24d02d9a822.PNG

It's just one op run but it was exactly what I didn't want to see.  In every way. If it's right there is no threat. That h5 look isn't even close. Again just one op run but I feel like we have said that a few times and then it becomes a few up runs then the ensembles are backing off then oh well next. At least there won't be any next this time lol. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Agreed. It was a disaster. In every way. Nothing through day 8 matters since there are no threats there. But look at day 9...oh is that another ridge popping. And an AK vortex already destroying the pattern when it was supposed to be getting good...

IMG_4322.thumb.PNG.2dc642f48a6e51a58508e0390f0a5518.PNG

gee I wonder where that ridge is gonna go by the middle of what was our threat window on then 12z run. 

IMG_4323.thumb.PNG.54c962f2360053a9a5def24d02d9a822.PNG

It's just one op run but it was exactly what I didn't want to see.  In every way. If it's right there is no threat. That h5 look isn't even close. Again just one op run but I feel like we have said that a few times and then it becomes a few up runs then the ensembles are backing off then oh well next. At least there won't be any next this time lol. 

you see what i mean...we get one good run...we hit a crossroads and then we take 3 steps back. Its been a theme of the winter. We cant ever advance

1 minute ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Don’t look at the H5 at the end of the 18z GFS. Yikes. 

Dunno if that trough in the west progresses and the Epo ride reloads by march 20th...

nope it's game over. Lol. No joke if the op gfs is right in tanking a trough into the PAC NW again and linking another ridge with the block in response then it's game set march. Lol

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well...if this really is it and we end up going two consecutive winters without a WSW...you gotta think we're due next winter...I don't know the records, but...wehn was the last time we went three straight without a WSW event?

I don't know about the WSW deal but 88 through 92 were 4 consecutive abysmal winters. I too would like to think we're due but that's not how it works. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Watch the 18z gefs come in with the weeniest run of the winter. 

Didnt we decide to toss the off hour runs?

If it’s good we won’t believe it.  This is the lowest morale I have seen since I have been here.  For good reason of course.   This ended way early if this is it.  I still had fun though.  I love tracking even if we fail.  

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well...if this really is it and we end up going two consecutive winters without a WSW...you gotta think we're due next winter...I don't know the records, but...when was the last time we went three straight without a WSW event?

Since the 70s at least probably and maybe longer. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea precip coming out. It's suppression city. Snow signal for NC lol. Light of course. Big in the apps. Dry here. Lol. Opposite of the op. But I'm ok with suppression at day 10-15. 

despite ensembles.....the operational has been the best model this year. How many weenie ensemble runs have we had....where the OP was like "wtf..you talking about" and in the end...look how much snow we have gotten. The OP GFS except for a few runs has been extremely stingy with digital snow this winter

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived