Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ji said:

epic winter continues for you...meanwhile for me....

not sure 13" is considered epic, but okay

Just now, showmethesnow said:

If everyone is good with it then I'll throw up a thread if it hasn't been done already.

Ji beat you to it. 

39 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

I never expected this weekend to give us snow, but I thought this storm was a crucial part in setting up a 50/50 Low to help us with the upcoming storm for March 7-8th.  Is that still something that has potential? Thanks for your insight! 

Mentioned yesterday I thought there were a lot of similarities on how the models were evolving for the setup for the 7th/8th possible storm as we have seen with the storm that is now incoming. And as you know we are hanging on by a thread for our Fri. storm. So at this point my hopes aren't especially high.

But as you pointed out it will probably come down to where our current low we are tracking tracks and evolves. If we see that lolligag far to the south off the coast we will see heights build in the east again where the general setup leading into the 7th/8th will be very hard to overcome. On the other hand if we can get that to to exit stage right quicker we will be in a better position leading into the storm.  Probably too much to ask for it to rotate up into the 50/50 region at this point, which would be ideal, because of the strong blocking we are seeing. This blocking is evident by how the models are stalling and/or looping the current projected low off the coast.

But we are still talking seven days away so there is plenty of time to see improvements within the models.

22 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, it's better.  Long way to go though.  Develops a storm offshore.  And of course gets New England. 

The fact that we are still even discussing what will happen with a 48 hours storm should temper any definitive statements one way or the other on day 7+ stuff.   As it is right now the setup does favor New England...we have that stupid upper low track to thank for that... either get that to adjust south a bit or get it north and out of the way and that changes quick. 

ICON is about to go BOOM at 180 hrs lol.  Its rain because the surface is warm but I bet temps crash quickly after that panel.  Obviously NOTHING is likely right with details at that range but its pretty pictures none the less.  I bet based on what were seeing from the ops this morning that the ensembles spit out some pretty solutions today. 

Just now, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

The existence of a system that far out is meaningless.

Then why are you complaining about the location of that meaningless existence?

Snarkyness aside...the existence of synoptic systems in the general area and of a general type that COULD threaten snow is significant in that it says there is potential.  That is it.  The more guidance that suggests that the stronger the potential.  Seeing a well located trough ridge orientation with some scattered systems in the right area at that time range is all I care about.  Seeing a big arse ridge over us would not be good.  Getting into it any more then that isnt productive or is just for fun.  But you kind of imply that nothing matters at all at that range in which case why are you here looking at it and making comments about it?

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived