Newest Member
    joxey
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Last patch of natural snow that was not in a pile or snowbank officially melted from my yard today,  We done.  Not rooting for anything else unless it's a big dog.  Spring cleanup officially started today for me as some debris were picked up and a few areas raked out.  

Still full pack here . Wish it would go now but with return of winter this coming weekend and next week, ain’t no spring or cleanup to be had 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

It’s 530am at the end of March and it’s all after d5 in NNE. How much talk did you want?

Well we know this board really comes into its own when the only thing out there is NNE mountain snow on one model in the long range.  That really gets the post count clicking.

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Definitely noticed the change in Newry Maine Thursday afternoon before that it was snow white clean. What  a great month of ski conditions.  Not such a great month for homeowners in SNE. The damage to trees from 395 Ct to 290 to 495 Mass was incredible.  Haverhill was real bad

Damn man... hope you can get a good 6 months without any tree damage for once. It's not always fun and games when the storms hit.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Well we know this board really comes into its own when the only thing out there is NNE mountain snow on one model in the long range.  That really gets the post count clicking.

I considered pulling an all-nighter before work last night to see if the euro would roll out a 6-10d snowy solution. I regret going to bed before the NAM finished now. :(

Just now, powderfreak said:

Damn man... hope you can get a good 6 months without any tree damage for once. It's not always fun and games when the storms hit.

It's incredible.  The more I drive around, the more damage I notice.  And it's not just snapped trees, it's fully uprooted trees.  There is one I drive by everyday dropping my daughter off to school.

Here's a shot from a few years back from Google.  It has to be a 36" diameter tree.  Fully uprooted in the early March storm. 

tree.thumb.JPG.9c5c5706222a2c3f0439d29c9412d370.JPG

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Who in their right mind wants snow at the end of March, unless its historic(20"+)?  Normal highs for the day just hit 50F here.  There is a little snow left here and there from the storm on the 13th but it's not solid pack any more.

I wouldn’t mind a bit more to help with my skiing, but otherwise melt away

That being said, I think we are done 

11 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's incredible.  The more I drive around, the more damage I notice.  And it's not just snapped trees, it's fully uprooted trees.  There is one I drive by everyday dropping my daughter off to school.

Here's a shot from a few years back from Google.  It has to be a 36" diameter tree.  Fully uprooted in the early March storm. 

tree.thumb.JPG.9c5c5706222a2c3f0439d29c9412d370.JPG

lol where's the uprooted tree???  that pole isn't looking too good though....

31 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Who in their right mind wants snow at the end of March, unless its historic(20"+)?  Normal highs for the day just hit 50F here.  There is a little snow left here and there from the storm on the 13th but it's not solid pack any more.

Obviously I'm not in my right mind.  ;) 
I'm ready for snow almost any time, though even here big late season events are uncommon - only 4 decent storms 3/24 and later in 19 years.  (2001, 2007[2], 2011) 

I'm guessing it's that decadent-looking beast on the near side of the driveway.  Not the healthiest tree on the block.

36 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I'd estimate 30".  It varied depending on the aspect of the slope and exposure to the sun.  Here are more pictures

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

Nice pictures, conditions look great...my last ride was a couple weeks back in N. Maine and they will be riding up there for another couple weeks at least...

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Obviously I'm not in my right mind.  ;) 
I'm ready for snow almost any time, though even here big late season events are uncommon - only 4 decent storms 3/24 and later in 19 years.  (2001, 2007[2], 2011) 

I'm guessing it's that decadent-looking beast on the near side of the driveway.  Not the healthiest tree on the block.

The uprooted tree is the one dead-center in the photo.  Guess WW didn't read what I wrote about the image being from a few years back on Google.  Add I agree the tree is/was not the healthiest.  I think it's a Norway Maple, as we all know, suck.  The Google image is from April 2012.

38 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The uprooted tree is the one dead-center in the photo.  Guess WW didn't read what I wrote about the image being from a few years back on Google.  Add I agree the tree is/was not the healthiest.  I think it's a Norway Maple, as we all know, suck.  The Google image is from April 2012.

Oh ok...I understand now..sometimes when it's phrased like that it can be a tad confusing when one reads it quickly.  

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'll take more snow. Late March and early April is typically garbage anyway...so keep the snow coming. Maybe I can get another ski day in. 

This. The odds are stacked against most of us, but I'd rather a chance to follow a snow event or 2, than sulking in my sea of 40's and damp panties for the next 5 or 6 weeks. 

That pic from Canaan is pure sugaring season.  The angle of the light, the way that snow looks even in a photo reminds me of nothing more than the beginning of sugaring season.  

There had to be just a ton of water in the storms that came through because it has been sunny and 40-45 for highs and there's still significant amounts about in the back yard not counting the banks and piles.  Cold nights refreezing it has given it quite the legs.  In December or January that'd be gone in a day even with the low light.  

Archived