Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, OceanStWx said:

It is so close in S NH (not south North Haven).

The previous NAMs had a little warm nose of +2-3C around 850, but if that's more of a figment than reality it could paste.

Still evident on the 12z soundings but it does seem to wash out near 21z

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That would be quite painful for us.

This has been a non event here for a few days now with that blocking, Congrats to the western folks down in MA and NW CT, Its looked good in that area for several runs, The folks east of there, Its going to be a battle to flip before they lose the heavy rates.

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Def seeing a trend further northeast over time, before the full phase and capture...I think this trend needs to be watched closely. Would mean more snow for all...

Yes it would be snowier. NAM really goes insane with the firehose.

Even on this weenie-azz NAM run I'd hesitate to get that excited for eastern areas as far as big accumulations. No one is sniffing 10:1 so even if we can bang out an inch of QPF after 21z, some of which is probably wasted at the onset while it's still daylight, I wouldn't expect more than a few inches of slop. I'm not old enough to remember April '97 and wasn't alive for December '92 so maybe I'm underplaying how fast it can pile up but at low elevations I wouldn't expect it to be efficient. 

I still can't get over the potential in the Catskills.  Gonna be some big totals coming out of that area.

I think the ALY forecast for that area is low but honestly, 12-24" gets the word out.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Albany NY
400 AM EST Thu Mar 1 2018

NYZ047-051-058-063-011800-
/O.UPG.KALY.WS.A.0005.180302T0500Z-180303T0800Z/
/O.NEW.KALY.WS.W.0007.180302T0500Z-180303T0800Z/
Schoharie-Western Albany-Western Greene-Western Ulster-
Including the cities of Cobleskill, Breakabeen, Gilboa,
Livingstonville, Middleburgh, North Blenheim, Jefferson,
Westerlo, Altamont, Berne, Knox, Preston Hollow, Hunter,
Tannersville, Windham, Prattsville, Ellenville, Woodstock,
West Hurley, West Shokan, Kerhonkson, Napanoch, and Sundown
400 AM EST Thu Mar 1 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 3 AM
EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 12 to
  18 inches, with localized amounts up to 24 inches, are
  expected.

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

Even on this weenie-azz NAM run I'd hesitate to get that excited for eastern areas as far as big accumulations. No one is sniffing 10:1 so even if we can bang out an inch of QPF after 21z it's still, some of which is probably wasted at the onset while it's still daylight, I wouldn't expect more than a few inches of slop. I'm not old enough to remember April '97 and wasn't alive for December '92 so maybe I'm underplaying how fast it can pile up but at low elevations I wouldn't expect it to be efficient. 

If it actually flips to heavy snow, then it won't matter that its still daylight or that temps are marginal. But there's a huge difference between 3/4 or even 1/2 vis snow and 1/4 vis or less at 32-33F.

Archived