Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mmm ... Not to be Debbie buuuut...  we should keep in mind that these needle thread deals can shift on a dime by small lat/lon variances and the gradients being pretty tight it can mean a huge sensible difference in terms of impact. 

Oh no doubt...it goes back to my "unmanned firehose" reference. The small shifts early on make a big difference whereas some type of blocking downstream would act to "force" the storm into a designated slot with narrower goalposts...we obviously don't have that downstream blocking (whether transient or not)

But regardless...I def think we want to see it go flatter right now. We know these can come back north inside of 60 hours pretty good. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

But regardless...I def think we want to see it go flatter right now. We know these can come back north inside of 60 hours pretty good. 

That's why I'm not worried about whiffing south even with a GGEM type solution.  It seems we've had a few events this winter that have trended southeast for a while in the mid-range but then tick back the other way a bit inside of 48-60 hours.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

That's why I'm not worried about whiffing south even with a GGEM type solution.  It seems we've had a few events this winter that have trended southeast for a while in the mid-range but then tick back the other way a bit inside of 48-60 hours.

Risk is absolutely north with ++NAO. But at the same time nothing to amp this guy up. Will ride the boundary, wherever that sets up...SNE is where current guidance is zeroing in on.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

12z EURO more amped than the 00z run again.

Much more than any other of the 12z models.  Not too far off the GEFS mean though I think.

I mean a low of that origin usually makes me a little nervous, despite any trends. The front end here was a bit better which is usually a good sign to get that thing across the coastal areas and not over The berks.

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Has nothing to do with hope. The great Feb doesnt look so great anymore, thats the reality of it. We could sneak something mid month but if not its down to the last two weeks. Who knows what March brings but a sustained month it is usually not. Obv March 17 was pretty wintery but the numbers say thats an anomoly last 10-15yrs.  It is what it is, i call it like I see it. 

I agree with you. The famous February pattern change was aggressively promoted by some of the same people who feel every February will be February 2015, but many of the experts on here were trying to temper the zealotry. 

This winter hasn't been particularly fun. Although the January event was fun for 5 hours, we haven't had many events and we've gone days without any threats. I like a winter like 2008-2009 when the threats come fast and furiously even if there are no biggies.

But events that spare the population centers of all of New England yet give a few inches to rural hilltop communities don't excite me, nor do Windex events in the boondocks.

17 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

I agree with you. The famous February pattern change was aggressively promoted by some of the same people who feel every February will be February 2015, but many of the experts on here were trying to temper the zealotry. 

This winter hasn't been particularly fun. Although the January event was fun for 5 hours, we haven't had many events and we've gone days without any threats. I like a winter like 2008-2009 when the threats come fast and furiously even if there are no biggies.

But events that spare the population centers of all of New England yet give a few inches to rural hilltop communities don't excite me, nor do Windex events in the boondocks.

Pretty sure no-one in this subforum ever stated Feb 15 would be walking in the door,  sounds like hypebole

35 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I have had less time to look at things since the new job.  But Every time I look at models and out the window, I’m seeing meh.  

Note.....this in response to the comments on my eeyore remarks.

All guidance looks good in your area for Wednesday... of at least a plowable snow, if not double digit snow.

Archived