• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

Flash freezes need specific ingredients in place (low level RH around 100%...preferably precip falling while sfc temps go from above freezing to below fairly quickly)...but they are present on Friday morning.

That could change obviously. But as of now, the Euro def shows a legit flash freeze...mixed precip changing to snow with a crash in temps well below freezing.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Flash freezes need specific ingredients in place (low level RH around 100%...preferably precip falling while sfc temps go from above freezing to below fairly quickly)...but they are present on Friday morning.

That could change obviously. But as of now, the Euro def shows a legit flash freeze...mixed precip changing to snow with a crash in temps well below freezing.

Great explanation.  Sure, I believe it could happen near the shore with this one.  We'll see.  It's just that I haven't seen one in my area in quite a while...you hear from time to time that it may happen, but here it fails more than it happens...guess that's what I meant.  Thanks for explaining it.

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'm sitting at about half my season average so it's time to start snowing if this season wants good grades on it's WNE report card. 

We’ve stalled out since the first week of Jan. Sucks to lose a few weeks but we can not only make up ground but get way ahead with a good run here. Gotta believe.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'm sitting at about half my season average so it's time to start snowing if this season wants good grades on it's WNE report card. 

At my place the cumulative snowfall is split almost evenly between Oct-Jan and Feb-May (current split is 44"/45".)  Of course, March is quasi-winter here.

15 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That's is a very active run on the OP GFS.

Seem like later this week we start rolling again.  I would bet once we get a good 3-6 incher then we will start to get regular events and probably a couple of 8+ers.  I'm up for winter part 2.  Maybe a 4-6 week period?  By this date I'm either "bring it all" or if not "early spring."    It has started to get quite muddy and that either needs to freeze or dry up.  Freeze being the preferred option.

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

Seem like later this week we start rolling again.  I would bet once we get a good 3-6 incher then we will start to get regular events and probably a couple of 8+ers.  I'm up for winter part 2.  Maybe a 4-6 week period?  By this date I'm either "bring it all" or if not "early spring."    It has started to get quite muddy and that either needs to freeze or dry up.  Freeze being the preferred option.

If the modeling and ensembles are right, Its going to be a very wintry next 15 days+

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

If the modeling and ensembles are right, Its going to be a very wintry next 15 days+

I hope so. I’ve got about 200 miles on the sled and want more!  I should have trailered north this weekend as decent trails weren’t that far away. Have to remind myself to get it when I can and not wait for “perfect” conditions. 

Ice, there have been some wintry March’s since you’ve moved here.  March of 15 was snowy. Last March we had a blizzard warning. March of 13 was snowy. March of 08 I remember a good storm.  

Sure there’s been some warm ones too...it happens.  But to say there hasn’t been wintry March’s just isn’t accurate in my opinion. 

Archived