Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Hopefully the ski areas get some natural base out of the upcoming storm cycle.

Friday looks meh' Monday looks like it could miss so I wouldn't get too excited for powdah' days in S VT.   I'm not trying to be a debbie d just calling it like I see.    I'm in the same boat as you, S Vt and Berk E are my local ski areas.  They really need a SWFE or a coastal hugger in WNE to hope any natural terrain opens again this year. 

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Friday looks meh' Monday looks like it could miss so I wouldn't get too excited for powdah' days in S VT.   I'm not trying to be a debbie d just calling it like I see.    I'm in the same boat as you, S Vt and Berk E are my local ski areas.  They really need a SWFE or a coastal hugger in WNE to hope any natural terrain opens again this year. 

I'm more hoping the skiing areas can have some strong weeks going forward. After a too cold Christmas week and rain on MLK, business is way down from last year.

Berkshire East was not the best last Friday, but considering the rain three days before, it could have been worse.

Probably don’t want Friday to be too potent because it may force the thermal boundary too far east and screw Monday up which may have more potential to be a big event. It still seems hard though with that initial GL/NNE low.  Unless that blows up quickly as it departs I think the zipping flow makes Monday another 4-8 inch type deal at the very best 

I have no idea how well this ICON's on-going verification scores are; I've yet to dig around on-line to find those.  Others on here have labeled it useless out of box, but I wonder how much of that is new kid in the playground more so than fairly/adequately scoring.. 

It backed off a little at 12z ... Not knowing it's usefulness or native biases, perhaps that's the beginning of the end, but it's been persistently detonating a low along the arctic boundary on Friday ...even in this weaker 12z version...it's like 9 steady hours of moderate snow in a stripe from mid CT to SE NH... 

Thing is, the total tropopheric mechanics are intrinsically problematic for all guidance between tomorrow and Friday.  Why?  Because that sucker is about as flat a wave as there can be. Almost no curvature - all velocity in amplitude. And, coming like a bullet straight off the Pac at ludicrous speeds.  The models almost never handle that sort of thing well... This just may be the 10 day challenge for all models for this season we got going on... 

Also, let's start a new model/discussion thread... use this or some one else other ?

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I have no idea how well this ICON's on-going verification scores are; I've yet to dig around on-line to find those.  Others on here have labeled it useless out of box, but I wonder how much of that is new kid in the playground more so than fairly/adequately scoring.. 

It backed off a little at 12z ... Not knowing it's usefulness or native biases, perhaps that's the beginning of the end, but it's been persistently detonating a low along the arctic boundary on Friday ...even in this weaker 12z version...it's like 9 steady hours of moderate snow in a stripe from mid CT to SE NH... 

Thing is, the total tropopheric mechanics are intrinsically problematic for all guidance between tomorrow and Friday.  Why?  Because that sucker is about as flat a wave as there can be. Almost no curvature - all velocity in amplitude. And, coming like a bullet straight off the Pac at ludicrous speeds.  The models almost never handle that sort of thing well... This just may be the 10 day challenge for all models for this season we got going on... 

Also, let's start a new model/discussion thread... use this or some one else other ?

The ICON was the strongest with Friday at 12Z of any model so far and of course it has Sunday into Monday being the weakest as well which would make sense 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Anafrontal looks more and more meh. Maybe 1-2?

Go Ukie or go home.

All kidding aside, it's prob kind of an ugly 1-3" event...seems like it won't look amazing on radar. But I'll take a refresher. Maybe we can squeeze a pretty good system in Monday after the SB....we'll need that shortwave diving down through upper plains to trend a bit better.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Go Ukie or go home.

All kidding aside, it's prob kind of an ugly 1-3" event...seems like it won't look amazing on radar. But I'll take a refresher. Maybe we can squeeze a pretty good system in Monday after the SB....we'll need that shortwave diving down through upper plains to trend a bit better.

What’s Ukie got? 3-6”

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Go Ukie or go home.

Without a wave, it's almost like a fropa with moisture lagging behind. It's too bad we couldn't pop something sooner.  But whatever..hopefully 1-3.

Nobody's askin' or talkin' 'bout it but I still think it's interesting (if not weird) that the models are really failing to bring even more of a polar outbreak of air (let alone arctic) off of that immense leading -EPO ...relay into +PNA.  Still, this Euro brings blase chill relative to climo despite those mass-field index modes/modality.  

Spoke a bit about the MJO's contribution to this month ... I wonder if tropical forcing in a favorable wave space is just not not yet registering in the physics...  Without out it you'd expect a -3 SD EPO and then +PNA following a week later to do more than -12 C at 850 at ORD.  Maybe we'll get an assist. 

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes sir

That one has a little more potential than Thursday night...we have that pretty good shortwave in the plains diving SE...if we can turn that over neutral/neg in time, we could get Superbowl Sunday to pop that night into Monday morning. Not a lot of room to do it, but it's attainable.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That one has a little more potential than Thursday night...we have that pretty good shortwave in the plains diving SE...if we can turn that over neutral/neg in time, we could get Superbowl Sunday to pop that night into Monday morning. Not a lot of room to do it, but it's attainable.

Kev asked me 3 days ago what was Mon Tuesday like I was dreaming or gone wild. These guys don't get it. I just don't hype but rather watch and study patterns. I am  very enthusiastic when I see something I like but never make things up. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Freak won’t love the Euro 

Its actually not bad at all for ski areas up north....a lot of smaller refreshers including Wed night/Thursday during the day while we are milder. Then a bunch of other smaller events...it would be better if they could get one big QPF bomb in the pack, but a bunch of smaller refreshers is probably the next best thing.

Archived