Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I'm not questioning the pressures. I don't understand the warm seclusion physics leading to rapid intensification. This clearly isn't going through normal mid latitude cyclone/TC development. I did some quick reading up on it; but there doesn't seem to be any text book universal "model" for how these systems strengthen...

Additionally this system continues to intensify long after H5 occlusion....What's driving that? 

I've been asking this since Tues morning with no answers and I still don't have a good grasp. The system occludes and is stacked by NC/VA. I believe it because pretty universal model consensus for deepening all the way to our latitude.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I would say the SPC mesoanalysis SLP is our to lunch. 

Based on satellite, the cusp has formed well west of the RAP analysis. It’s much closer to the WPC representation of the surface analysis.

This is a closer starting position to where models like the GFS has it last night. West of the 0z Euro.

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Most uncertainty, for me, lies in Fairfield and Litchfield counties. I could see pulling that 4-6 east and south, at the same time i was debating 6-12 statewide. Confident in reaching those numbers central on east. For now will leave it as is. Hopefully I won't have to change it tomorrow. 01_03.18_snow_forecast_1.thumb.jpg.1a4ba5d87353b7599f9e40eebce419f6.jpg

Think that's a really good and fair call.  As talked about by many if a deform band sets up somewhere may go higher

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well I would say the SPC mesoanalysis SLP is our to lunch. 

Based on satellite, the cusp has formed well west of the RAP analysis. It’s much closer to the WPC representation of the surface analysis.

This is a closer starting position to where models like the GFS has it last night. West of the 0z Euro.

Ugh :(

7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

I've been asking this since Tues morning with no answers and I still don't have a good grasp. The system occludes and is stacked by NC/VA. I believe it because pretty universal model consensus for deepening all the way to our latitude.

That warm seclusion helps it maintain strength. All signs point to this becoming asymmetric warm core for a time (maybe long time) and because of that latent heating can help to maintain strength long after upper levels would support strengthening.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

That warm seclusion helps it maintain strength. All signs point to this becoming asymmetric warm core for a time (maybe long time) and because of that latent heating can help to maintain strength long after upper levels would support strengthening.

Tough forecast with how it evolves. Seems like the SLP track is pretty agreed upon up here but the shape/size of the H7-H5 low seems more uncertain. 

6 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

It's really odd, and difficult to conceptualize. But when we say "cut-off" that's typically in the sense of both the UL jet and thermal gradients simultaneously. In this case, it's almost as though it cuts off twice -- the first time from the UL jet only (around 36N) and the second time from the thermal gradient only (around NS).

In this way it intensifies long after it is "cut-off" at H5. How the physical processes work, however is still beyond me at this point...

Interesting - that's easy enough to understand quickly...

Why does anyone care whether their backyard is actually in an adv, warn or watch ? 

baffles the mind, but serious energy is expended hand wringing over whether one's like "in the club" I guess - 

I'm preeetty sure the text says, in or "around" the region in question ...that should cover it. 

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

It's really odd, and difficult to conceptualize. But when we say "cut-off" that's typically in the sense of both the UL jet and thermal gradients simultaneously. In this case, it's almost as though it cuts off twice -- the first time from the UL jet only (around 36N) and the second time from the thermal gradient only (around NS).

In this way it intensifies long after it is "cut-off" at H5. How the physical processes work, however is still beyond me at this point...

Thanks guys

Warm core, as in tropical cyclone mechanics sustaining intensification north of VA/NC...? I'm not gonna pretend to understand the physical processes, how an asymmetric warm core relates to conveyer belt and other mechanics of cold core lows, and how this alters our interpretation of guidance. But much to learn from this system in next 24 hours.

Archived