• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

I was referring to the precipitation shield which did not seem to give much more snow here from previous run.

Gap closes for coast up to Cape Haterras and again a little bit for New England.  We are closer, but still in the BN precipitation zone.  So our precip. changed little.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Chris look at what is trying to nose in 

5a478deb4e63f_f120(3).thumb.gif.afca342c9317776914d930781891b325.gif

There ya go,that’s why you are seeing the trend of things bottling up and getting closer to a phase off the coast.

If that holds true then the pieces will find their way together. Don’t be so concerned with any individual shortwave running out ahead at this point, watch for any hints of a transient block in the Atlantic and let the pieces fall where they may.

I still believe NYC has a 20% chance of measurable precip with this system and 40-50% chance for E LI. Historically, this is normally a MECS track for BOS. I suspect we will hallucinate for hours as we watch the precip shield hover just offshore.

5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Initially gfs looked better. southern stream was really holding back, but northern energy just wasn’t strong/dug deep enough and trough was more flat

The heavier snow actually made it further west to central CT. Perhaps further east but stronger.

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Initially gfs looked better. southern stream was really holding back, but northern energy just wasn’t strong/dug deep enough and trough was more flat

Could be the GFS se bias at play here. Ridge was stronger this run along with a slower southern stream. Oh well, I like where we stand right now. Onto the CMC and EURO.

The entire synoptic setup is a powder keg. If the phase is six to 12 hours sooner, we have a nuke off the coast. The whole setup has shifted west with a sooner, cleaner phase. Look out west. There has been a consistent trend for a more meridional ridge, which in turn amplified and digs the NS vort. If these trends continue, I would not be surprised to see a MECS by 00z.

C9D92169-7A1A-4AAC-9C9E-B7A08FE8A606.thumb.gif.67b5467fd2dcad8c3d81cf55c1b15742.gif

2 hours ago, JetsPens87 said:

There ya go,that’s why you are seeing the trend of things bottling up and getting closer to a phase off the coast.

If that holds true then the pieces will find their way together. Don’t be so concerned with any individual shortwave running out ahead at this point, watch for any hints of a transient block in the Atlantic and let the pieces fall where they may.

The higher heights we've been seeing creeping in have come too late to have any meaningful impact on these runs for our area.  12 or more hours sooner and it should be able to help slow things down a bit.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_19.png

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_20.png

1 minute ago, NortheastPAWx said:

My only concern from that is the 120 position being so far east. Would need to see what would happen between panels. 

Historically, this is a great track for New England, but not for NYC Mrtro/N MA. I think UKmet looks interesting, but we would likely be on the outside looking in.

1 minute ago, purduewx80 said:

850 0C line is over the DelMarVa at 120h...that is most def a double-barrel low and likely a big hit. Maybe even too close.

Good point! I suspect using the thermal gradient, heaviest snow will reach back to -8 C at H850.

Archived