Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Russian Popups?

Casualbrain

23 minutes ago, H2O said:

and the pop ups are fuucking dumb.  Get rid of them.  

Just get uBlock or adblock then. 

I tend not to run them on sites I support (such as this one) but if it's getting too much, you have that option. I usually get 2-3 banner ads which is not too bad. And if the ads seem benign, I'll click on them because ad clicks bring much more money to the site owners than just impressions...or at least that's how it is for Google Adsense. 

On 1/17/2018 at 11:14 PM, nzucker said:

Why do we need pop-ups at all?

Pathetic cash grab.

This comment is absolutely disgraceful! Especially for someone who has used this site as often as you have, since its inception. I can't believe I'm the first person with the ballz to call you out on this.

Some of the top meteorologists in the northeast post on this site on an hourly basis! Free of charge! This site has meteorologists from top 30 television markets posting on a daily basis. All for free! This site has weather enthusiasts posting valuable weather data, for free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Is this site perfect? Of course not. New users and novice weather enthusiasts who don't understand model data are often treated like staffers at an all you can eat buffet once they tell Chris Christie the kitchen is out of prime rib...but nevertheless this is the best site for weather model data and discussion for any weather enthusiast who lives along the eye 95 corridor from the D.C. suburbs on up into Portland Maine.

My advice to the owners of this site, start charging. Forge an agreement with maue or Bastardi. Then get rid of the pop ups. 

On 1/18/2018 at 8:48 AM, tstate21 said:

FYI I have been getting a ton of redirects and ads on the mobile version of the site in the past couple days. Wasnt having this issue before. 

I had one last night on my mobile that took me to an Amazon.com spinning prize wheel. It's tough to get back out of it. It's the first time it's happened on my phone, which was good during the previous months issue I had with the desktop.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

You made some good points but then...

I don't know anything about the distribution of weather model data and the economics behind it, but I do know that both gentleman are bringing weather model data to people at an affordable price and people who use this site at times are posting this content. I'm not a fan of politicization of weather of weather on either side of the political divide, nor am I fan of degreed meteorologists who jump into bed with guys like Sean Hannity but I like the idea that maue and bastardi are making weather data more accessible to the general public even if they're trying to profit off it and have a political belief system I oppose.

Having constant pop-ups on the screen dilutes the site's content, and some are linked to malware. Do YOU want malware on your computer?

Furthermore, some ads like the Amazon prize wheel, which I've seen elsewhere, are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of.

I'd be fine with a donation drive, small fee, fundraiser, etc. But constant pop-ups disgust me.

6 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Having constant pop-ups on the screen dilutes the site's content, and some are linked to malware. Do YOU want malware on your computer?

Furthermore, some ads like the Amazon prize wheel, which I've seen elsewhere, are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of.

I'd be fine with a donation drive, small fee, fundraiser, etc. But constant pop-ups disgust me.

Thanks for your answer and of course I agree with you.

49 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Thanks for your answer and of course I agree with you.

I'm glad we reached a compromise position. Sometimes stating views in a clear fashion helps people understand and ultimately agree.

I think the beauty of the Weather Forums is that it is NOT monetized. That allows pure meteorology to reign. Once you start courting money, things change. What if Exxon Mobil wants to display ads on the climate forum? Do we allow that?

The realities of the modern world mean that money is a factor. But there are other ways to get it besides running insidious ads filled with malware and inescapable loops. I'd support many other means of raising funds.

1 hour ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

I don't know anything about the distribution of weather model data and the economics behind it, but I do know that both gentleman are bringing weather model data to people at an affordable price and people who use this site at times are posting this content. I'm not a fan of politicization of weather of weather on either side of the political divide, nor am I fan of degreed meteorologists who jump into bed with guys like Sean Hannity but I like the idea that maue and bastardi are making weather data more accessible to the general public even if they're trying to profit off it and have a political belief system I oppose.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that almost all models can be accessed for free through dozens of different sites, and if you take a little time to learn about synoptics, you can get all you need to know about the Euro from the WMO mandatory levels reproduced on Levi's site and elsewhere. Really, the only thing those guys have done is brought over-resolved and obnoxiously inflated Euro snow maps to the general public, and those aren't something that anyone needs... especially not the general public. We don't have to pretend someone is changing the world to acknowledge that they're good at getting money from people.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that almost all models can be accessed for free through dozens of different sites, and if you take a little time to learn about synoptics, you can get all you need to know about the Euro from the WMO mandatory levels reproduced on Levi's site and elsewhere. Really, the only thing those guys have done is brought over-resolved and obnoxiously inflated Euro snow maps to the general public, and those aren't something that anyone needs... especially not the general public. We don't have to pretend someone is changing the world to acknowledge that they're good at getting money from people.

You make an excellent point those Euro maps maue posts are comically over inflated. He was getting thousands of retweets from fancy color coded maps depicting gusts to 140 up and down the eye 75 corridor during Irma that didn't verify anywhere or even come close. But nevertheless I applaud his marketing attempts and an ability to get a plug from drudge.

The problem with content based sites on the internet...even high quality content, is the fact that no one wants to pay. I won't pay to access the Boston globe, but I'll pay for the ny Times because their reporters get all the scoops. But if a normal, generic president were in office I wouldn't pay online for the Times because there's so much free content out there.

If a site like politico went subscription they'd be out of business, and if drudge went subscription based he'd lose millions of clicks and trump never would've won.

I purposely stayed off this site (on my phone) today because of the spinning wheel pop-up that I got last night. So, a few minutes ago I get on to see if the problem has been fixed, but it hasn't. As soon as I clicked onto this page (on my phone) the spinning wheel pop-up again took over the site rendering it uselss. It took quite a while to get another Google tab open so I could close the spinning wheel tab and get back to normal.

That spinning wheel tab is the most insidious of all the pop-ups because it's so difficult to get out of, and it practically renders not only this sight, but the browser itself useless.

Please guys, until you can isolate and find out which sponsor is using it, disable all pop-up ads. It's getting increasingly frustrating to have to deal with this, and I had to go back onto my desktop just to access the site and post this.

49 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I would suggest people get adblocker and use them on. Not worth subjecting yourselves to potential virus because the odd decision to use pop up ads, as if this is 2001 or something.

Done. I have it on my desktop, but never really had a need before on my mobile. Works good. Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I assure you that @Wow is doing all that he can to resolve this.  As @Stebo stated above it doesn't hurt to add an ad-blocker to your browser.  

I'm sure he is, and usually pop ups don't bother me, but that spinning wheel one takes over the browser and is a pita to get out of.

8 hours ago, Mdecoy said:

I have one that keeps popping up at the bottom of the screen.

One was for treatment of premature ejaculation. No joke.

Just FYI, I don't have a problem with that. Thanks/

I am so glad to hear this. But with the number of problems you do have, be patient, there will be an ad that pops up soonest that you do really need.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4