• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

Another thing to consider. As we head into the core of winter we won't need extreme cold patterns to get snow as much. A look that may not work now could work fine in 2/3 weeks.  Keep the look up top favorable and we will do ok sooner or later. My only fear would be if we flipped as we enter our prime snow climo. But no signs of that right now. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Though it looks like failure is the most likely outcome for this weekend, the lr continues with a very nice look.  The more times you roll the dice the more likely you are to win a few bucks..

18z gefs with a look nobody can complain about....well, almost nobody...

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.thumb.png.a8a322a9c528ed657ae3766d05b49135.png

And I kinda fell in love with this one from the EPS- Pretty sweet looks heading towards Xmas.

eps_z500a_noram_57.thumb.png.2838a917923ba948faf3d76ce316d6c9.png

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Another thing to consider. As we head into the core of winter we won't need extreme cold patterns to get snow as much. A look that may not work now could work fine in 2/3 weeks.  Keep the look up top favorable and we will do ok sooner or later. My only fear would be if we flipped as we enter our prime snow climo. But no signs of that right now. 

The thing that's sucking right now through the next 10 days is the really steep ridge/trough alignment. The pattern looks like the Intimidator at kings dominion.   Energy straight downhill and making a sharp u-turn in like 6 hours sucks. 

We need a NS wave to ride the kiddie coaster down a gentle slope from around Montana'ish and make a nice gradual turn as it crosses the midsection of the country. Even if one of these waves makes a decent u-turn below us in the current LW pattern, it's going to be weak and dry until it gets over the ocean and by then it's too late. I'm actually looking forward to a relaxation. The amplified pattern is good for pushing cold way far south but it's a pretty lame storm pattern for pretty much everyone except the far NE and even they will struggle. 

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

And I kinda fell in love with this one from the EPS- Pretty sweet looks heading towards Xmas.

eps_z500a_noram_57.thumb.png.2838a917923ba948faf3d76ce316d6c9.png

I actually don't like that panel too much for precipitation prospect. Storm track is the dakota's/MN. Pretty much what were seeing right now.

Hopefully the PNA ridge retro's at times and give us a better shot at system that can tap the gulf or phase with something in the southern stream. Or simply get a chance to amplify to the west of us anywhere. The EPS panel looks cold/dry/boring for our area. 

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

My biggest fear as well...though my weenie brain picks through each vort panel hoping for positive trends I know that this is a tough time of year for snow in the MA...Just keep this general pattern until 3rd week in Jan and we should be in decent shape with a few nice events.  No sign of a pullback in the pattern so far...

10 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I actually don't like that panel too much for precipitation prospect. Storm track is the dakota's/MN. Pretty much what were seeing right now.

Hopefully the PNA ridge retro's at times and give us a better shot at system that can tap the gulf or phase with something in the southern stream. Or simply get a chance to amplify to the west of us anywhere. The EPS panel looks cold/dry/boring for our area. 

The pattern is what it is I guess. I wont complain given the possible alternatives. I like the look up top, especially in the NA, and we are seeing this look quite a bit on the ensembles(-NAO, low heights in 50-50 region), so odds are there will likely be opportunities. The western ridge will relax at times, and at some point I am sure we will get to try our luck with a -PNA.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I always thought the old rule of "Boise to Balt" for the ridge axis was what we wanted...maybe that applies later in the season due to shortening of wavelengths?  That ridge axis is more like Seattle...

30 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Though it looks like failure is the most likely outcome for this weekend, the lr continues with a very nice look.  The more times you roll the dice the more likely you are to win a few bucks..

From what it looks, cold pattern heads in 3 days before Christmas. Either cold during Christmas, or a storm during Christmas or shortly after. We Hope

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

The gefs and GEPS looks better for precip chances. But EPS isn't that far from good.  with that  pattern I can even see the chance of getting some help from a well timed 50/50. That could buckle the jet upstream for us. It's not perfect but it's workable. It's been a while since prolonged cold/dry was a problem. In the last many years if we get prolonged cold we usually get some snow. If we get 3 weeks of cold and no snow I will stand corrected but I'm not worried about that yet. 

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The gefs and GEPS looks better for precip chances. But EPS isn't that far from good.  with that  pattern I can even see the chance of getting some help from a well timed 50/50. That could buckle the jet upstream for us. It's not perfect but it's workable. It's been a while since prolonged cold/dry was a problem. In the last many years if we get prolonged cold we usually get some snow. If we get 3 weeks of cold and no snow I will stand corrected but I'm not worried about that yet. 

This is pretty much how I see it.

We are pretty consistently seeing ridging around GL, and lower heights underneath(50-50) in the LR. That should enhance our chances.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This is pretty much how I see it.

We are pretty consistently seeing ridging around GL, and lower heights underneath(50-50) in the LR. That should enhance our chances.

Besides a brief relax with the EPO and a dampening of the PNA on the EPS I really don't see anything that warrants concern on either the GEFS nor the EPS at this time. Granted I have devoted most of my time with this weekend over the last week so maybe I am missing something with a quick glance. And I am a simple kind of guy. Give me a trough in the east and ridging in the west through the long range and I am happy. I let all the other details work themselves out as they get closer in time.

49 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Besides a brief relax with the EPO and a dampening of the PNA on the EPS I really don't see anything that warrants concern on either the GEFS nor the EPS at this time. Granted I have devoted most of my time with this weekend over the last week so maybe I am missing something with a quick glance. And I am a simple kind of guy. Give me a trough in the east and ridging in the west through the long range and I am happy. I let all the other details work themselves out as they get closer in time.

one thing that I noticed on the GEFS 6z was the temp anomaly going in the wrong direction at 850/2m.  Yes, the ridge/trough is still there which argues for chances but I would still rather keep it real cold if possible because I am not in the camp that says give me the precip and I will take my chances with temps..not here...no way.  I don't have the skill to know if the LR temp anomalies really mean anything.  2m temps look cold for sure but nothing crazy.  but again ridge/trough look right to me.  

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

one thing that I noticed on the GEFS 6z was the temp anomaly going in the wrong direction at 850/2m.  Yes, the ridge/trough is still there which argues for chances but I would still rather keep it real cold if possible because I am not in the camp that says give me the precip and I will take my chances with temps..not here...no way.  I don't have the skill to know if the LR temp anomalies really mean anything.  2m temps look cold for sure but nothing crazy.  but again ridge/trough look right to me.  

I don't like the overnight gefs/EPS runs that much. Both went the wrong way. Neither looks awful. They degraded into a mediocre look towards the end. Certainly not anything hostile like last year but nothing exciting either. 

13 hours ago, poolz1 said:

Looks cold and dry to me. Look at the Northern jet. Not really a great storm track for our area. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived