Newest Member
    joxey
December Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

When I was a young child (back in the 70s), everyone in my family owned ice-skates.  Vivid memories of ice-skating on a distant-relative's pond.  Sizeable crowds gathered doing the same.  Perhaps time has fogged my memory as to the frequency of such events, but they did occur regularly-enough back then for my parents to have invested in skates for all us kids.  Things are very different these days.

21 hours ago, uncletim said:

Your memory is correct about those years. My father's office complex in Springfield had a small pond where the employees' and their families had evening skating parties. My father was the chair of the skating club and it was his responsibility to check the ice and post a flag indicating that ice was thick enough. We all had skates and there was nearly always a period of a 2-3 weeks during the winter when the flag was up. Times have changed, both in terms of climate and liability!

21 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Honestly, 2.5" is totally safe you you are the ONLY one on the ice. Add another person and end up in the same area and it gets REALLY scary. lol. IME (and I have a lot of illegal skating experience), 3.5" is totally safe for a handful of spread out people. 4" is good for crowds. That's why most publications use that benchmark. 

The pond I use is totally shaded and pretty damn shallow. You can see bottom clearly through the ice in all but one section. I just stick to 50' from shore where it's less than 3' deep. Worst case is I slog my way back in the mud and broken ice. lol. Hasn't happened yet but I've had a more than a few propagating cracks that scared the F out of me even though there still wasn't much chance at breaking through. 

The teens that skate the pond don't measure ice thickness. They send a sucker out first and tell them to jump up and down. If he doesn't die then it's safe. 

21 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

The teens that skate the pond are used to me now. At first they HATED it when I showed up. I told them point blank I could care less what they drink and smoke. I used to charge 1 beer to keep my mouth shut but I don't drink anymore so I just say "hey man, puff puff give and nobody finds out"

Yes, years ago same here. People skated local ponds all the time when I was younger (53 now) and it was nothing for the kids/teens to be out skating after dark with a tire or two burning on the bank for heat. If not that, sleigh riding the local hill with the same heat source. I wonder just how many tires we went through in those years?

Bob, admit you are a bully and carry on lol.

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That's awesome! That reminds me that I used to pour buckets of water on our concrete patio so I could skate on it. Never did anything as good as what you've done. 

It is literally a tarp, leftover 4x4s and water.  It is so much better this year on the patio.  The yard, while seeming flat to the naked eye, had too much slope last year.

Weather ob - wind kicked up and some flurries are flying.  Gonna get cold.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

Two night ago it was 10 degrees colder than right now but it feels 10 times colder out there. Wind was kickin and it was cutting right through. Nice snow retention for getting close to freezing. Sidewalks are dangerous. Ice patches galore. That half inch of snow has some staying power. It can be 10 degrees in Feb and a half inch evaporates by noon. 

1 hour ago, Tenman Johnson said:

Cleared off and dropped to 19.8

i might not top that this afternoon 

YOU WON'T.

Heck, I might not get out of the upper teens. I dont think I have ever heard of Dale City with a DECEMBER high in the teens, EVER!

[snow and cold weather weenie]The North Atlantic Current HAS slowed some. Scientists have shown that to be the case. Could that be one reason it is so cold and why this string of frigid days is so long? I want the North Atlantic Current to STOP altogether right now and stay that way for the next 98 billion years. I WANT the cold wave to last for as long as possible, even years, and completely destroy us all because I worship cold and snow so much. I love Hansen's report, and I worship Hansen because I know he is correct. [/snow and cold weather weenie]

5 hours ago, Jebman said:

YOU WON'T.

Heck, I might not get out of the upper teens. I dont think I have ever heard of Dale City with a DECEMBER high in the teens, EVER!

[snow and cold weather weenie]The North Atlantic Current HAS slowed some. Scientists have shown that to be the case. Could that be one reason it is so cold and why this string of frigid days is so long? I want the North Atlantic Current to STOP altogether right now and stay that way for the next 98 billion years. I WANT the cold wave to last for as long as possible, even years, and completely destroy us all because I worship cold and snow so much. I love Hansen's report, and I worship Hansen because I know he is correct. [/snow and cold weather weenie]

After all of these years Jeb somehow Dale city has remained the coldest spot in our area congrats on the title. I know my area will get into the 20's today...so cool that you and Tenman stay in the teens

1 minute ago, RDM said:

If you want to see something impressive, check out the current scope of the WCA and WCW on NOAA.  Don't recall seeing that much of CONUS with that much of a watch or warning area - at least not in recent memory. 

http://www.weather.gov/

Yep, that IS impressive, about half the country it appears.

2 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Yep, that IS impressive, about half the country it appears.

Yea - and even the scope of the WCW is pretty bold.  Those folks in the upper Midwest are used to this stuff, so a WCW for them is probably old hat, or used to be in the good ole days of cold lore.  Still, temps of circa -20F with a wc of -35 or colder is cold in anyone's book.

The coldest I've ever experienced in my life is -42F.  Those sorts of temps do things to you...  Not sure I'd ever get used to that.  Hats off to the farmers and first responders in the upper Midwest who deal with this stuff as a normal course of life.

6:22am Christmas morning was the last time I was above freezing, with a high of 34.6, low that day 24

since then:

12/26: 30.7 20.9

12/27: 24.6 13.6

12/28: 19.8 8.4

12/29: 23.1 9.2

12/30: 29.6 14.9

Low of 9.8 today 

impressive stretch of cold 

Beautiful deep winter day. I'm planning on doing a hike this afternoon in a area that I've been wanting to explore but is to wet normally. It's been so dry and cold that the swamp is accessible. My coating of white yesterday morning really helped my mood. Dark, cloudy, cold with some white on the ground is a win. December has been great. I hope January produces.

Record low max at MRB for today is 19.  Currently 18 and overcast.  We will probably miss the record by a bit, as we did on Thursday when we missed tying it by a degree.  Tomorrow looks like we shatter the previous low max at the airport for 1/1 of 26.  

DCA is also forecast to have their coldest 1/1 high since 1918.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived