40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

idk allot of confused members in there

Irma6z.PNG

A lot of confused members in here too. :(

Still room for a lot of error at this time range...not just with a subsynoptic scale tropical system, but for the synoptic/global pattern as well. It's worth tracking, but people need to remember that consensus at this range means little...lots of options on the table. 

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A lot of confused members in here too. :(

Still room for a lot of error at this time range...not just with a subsynoptic scale tropical system, but for the synoptic/global pattern as well. It's worth tracking, but people need to remember that consensus at this range means little...lots of options on the table. 

Singin' sweet songs
Of weenies pure and true
Sayin', this is my message to you

6 minutes ago, Hazey said:

It's 10 days out. Of course the forecast ridging is going to pulse in strength which has dramatic effect on the projected track. I see nothing wrong with taking a stab at a possible LF location. It's just speculation at this time. If it turn out wrong...well it's wrong.

I dont think anyone said this lol.  Just comment about a difference between the 00z and 12z eps.  

22 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I have a question for you tropical guys....   What makes a hurricane larger or smaller in overall size?  I understand intensity better...dry air....eyewall replacement cycles etc.  What I don't understand is overall system  size.  Some storms have hurricane winds/TS winds going out for hundreds of miles.  Other storms are small and compact but still have intense winds right around the eye.  If you have a storm like Irma that forms way out in the Atlantic and has a week over the tropical Atlantic does the overall system grown in size too?   I am guessing it doesn't.  Probably the mid layer moisture/ island interactions/shear all effect size too.  Thoughts?

Still slogging my way through the high fives and TD spikes on a landfalling major in New England, but I'm going to answer this anyway.

Research has found positive correlations with size and intensity, which is fairly intuitive. Stronger storm is more likely to be a larger storm. But the greatest relationships are tied to latent heat flux, so SST. And not absolute value of SST, but relative SST. A larger reservoir of warm temps will lead to a larger system. Especially if you can get some cooler than normal temps aloft (allows for more convective potential). 

Not to be a tropical Grinch ... but, consuming all data sources to date and also keeping the coveted hope people only think they hide ... out of the equation as much as possible, your chances of a strike up here in New England are still very low - yet, we "weather" the tenor of odious skies.  it's almost funny -

I'm surprised there isn't more dialogue/conjecture being shared about the sub 550 thicknesses and even snow over eastern Ontario on just September 1 - THAT is interesting... 

Archived