Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The only thing agreeable there is your synopsis of TH. It's heaven on Earth . Alter Ego is the little brother of Julius. 

If they have Doppelgänger or any of the Curiosity series. Try those next . 

Dew up to 68 here 

Haha you don't think today was a great summer day?! 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It was , but it was sticky 

Ha it's just good to get your perspective being here and feeling the weather.  

I usually attribute our differences to me being up in VT and you're south so obviously will average drier and cooler with dews.  But I honestly didn't think today was "sticky"...of course it's mid-summer so there definitely is a background level of humidity that's expected. But this was no TP Rolls and arses stuck to couches type sticky.  

Nothing that is at AC levels...ceiling fan and open screen doors this evening is very pleasant.  It just feels like a perfect warm mid-summer evening after a pretty much climo normal day.  

Last year when I was down here I don't think the temp went below 75F for 3 straight days.  That was humid.

On 7/15/2017 at 8:10 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

Here's what's going to happen today ...  The mid and high level cloud debris is in the process of moving off, effectively uncapping the BD vomit that still persists.

It came in 48 or so hours ago, and we've suffered a classic abandonment crisis ever since.  It's when these occur, and then immediately there is no countermanding forces that can scour/move it out.  Not that the collective reader in here isn't savvy as to our topographical quirk of nature, but, having the elevations west, with a cold ocean EN/E/S, that is essentially the San Fernando Valley of New England. 

This BD air mass is like when they get smog collected in the valley out west for days and can't get rid of it.  In our case, the elevations out west lift the environmental flow over top, and the cold stable marine environment east is a statically stable sounding with zippo vertical mixing... What we are left with is essentially no different than a 'stranded air mass' when these BD events happen in this fashion..  Anyway, the mid/hi level cloud deck passes off and it is exposing this circumstance to the naked sun - we are still in the apex insolation time of the year, so the sky should brighten and ultimately clear partially, particularly inland between now and noon, as said radiation flux should accelerate evaporation of the strata layer.  We could have done this processing yesterday ... but convective cast off kept capping the sky with dimming ceilings and that was enabling the BD air mass.

This was in part educational, and commiseration. 

Tip you really REALLY need to post a hell of a lot more!!!!!!! I love this stuff!:wub::wub::wub::wub:

On 7/15/2017 at 6:34 AM, CoastalWx said:

Come on up Jeb.

27DA8C2F-8DFF-4576-AE82-4F2555E4178A.jpg

Once I arrive in New England --- You will no longer need those snowblowers you all use as crutches. You wont need snow removal services anymore. They will all be PERMANENTLY out of business. I will dig all of you completely out of winter's biggest and greatest blizzards - all with my patented Jebman snowshovel. I will construct snowbanks hundreds of feet high, that the ski resorts will develop on lol.

I really LOVE to dig snow!

DIT humidity seems to be up a tick...I'd say today will get a bit sticky this afternoon in SNE as southerly flow pumps air north as NNE gets more rain.  Glad I'm not at home, looks like another day of occasional showers and storms.

Still very comfortable sleeping weather last night with windows open and ceiling fan on.

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

DIT humidity seems to be up a tick...I'd say today will get a bit sticky this afternoon in SNE as southerly flow pumps air north as NNE gets more rain.  Glad I'm not at home, looks like another day of occasional showers and storms.

Still very comfortable sleeping weather last night with windows open and ceiling fan on.

I'm in Farmington, but Tolland Wxstem says 70 dew right now. 

17 hours ago, weathafella said:

No.   At least the winter part.  Hard to navigate outdoors in winter as you go through your 70s and beyond.  I would probably look at places like CA, NC, and MAYBE FL but more likely somewhere warm abroad.  While I'm working we'll stay here and as a general sense stay put until our daughter graduates college which is 5 years away.  May stop working before then though.

I hear you, but as long as I can walk behind the snowblower and haul firewood onto the porch, I'll stick right where I am.

Just touched 80 yesterday, 1st time that warm since June 19, and dews approaching 65 made for some sweat.  Like the ORH data posted, I'm running about 0.5F BN for the month.  Had a surprise little TS at 9 last evening, only 0.08" but had the first lightning strike anywhere near the house this year - about a half mile to my east.

Fearing the following content will be miss-used.... 

It's interesting that there has been a recent surge in SSTs that surround New England ...and about this time, we are also now seeing that the higher DPs are actually at shore points where the wind is presently tipped on shore.    

It's not a big difference....but it's more 63'like in the interior and 67 to 70 nearer the coast(s). 

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha it's just good to get your perspective being here and feeling the weather.  

I usually attribute our differences to me being up in VT and you're south so obviously will average drier and cooler with dews.  But I honestly didn't think today was "sticky"...of course it's mid-summer so there definitely is a background level of humidity that's expected. But this was no TP Rolls and arses stuck to couches type sticky.  

Nothing that is at AC levels...ceiling fan and open screen doors this evening is very pleasant.  It just feels like a perfect warm mid-summer evening after a pretty much climo normal day.  

Last year when I was down here I don't think the temp went below 75F for 3 straight days.  That was humid.

Sticky starts when ORH is in the mid 50s for dews. 

Honestly as much as he hates the ocean influence, it was probably "stickier" near the coasts where I would say you could really fell the heaviness of the air with moisture and salt. 

Today though, Tolland's reporting of a 70 dew is at least within the ballpark of the summer site at BDL.

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

I hear you, but as long as I can walk behind the snowblower and haul firewood onto the porch, I'll stick right where I am.

Just touched 80 yesterday, 1st time that warm since June 19, and dews approaching 65 made for some sweat.  Like the ORH data posted, I'm running about 0.5F BN for the month.  Had a surprise little TS at 9 last evening, only 0.08" but had the first lightning strike anywhere near the house this year - about a half mile to my east.

Yeah parts of winter are fun but I find myself spending too much time indoors the past few years.  I used to get my exercise outdoors no matter what time of the year Ann's my disdain for cold causes me to grow fat every winter now.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah parts of winter are fun but I find myself spending too much time indoors the past few years.  I used to get my exercise outdoors no matter what time of the year Ann's my disdain for cold causes me to grow fat every winter now.

Still like the cold, though with compromises - I no longer go icefishing when it's below zero, partly because my hand auger only drills a 6" hole and when it's real cold I not only have to skim but sometimes re-drill as the hole closes in from the sides.  And if our rescue-mutt (advertised as yellow Lab, has the color and feet but forgot the "retriever" part and doesn't like water), which arrived from TX on Feb. 4, could adapt to Maine cold, I've no excuse not to do the same.  (She was really spooked by the March blizzard, however.  SN+ at 40 mph left her cowering on the porch until I dragged her out to do her business.  Sweet pup, otherwise.)

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Still like the cold, though with compromises - I no longer go icefishing when it's below zero, partly because my hand auger only drills a 6" hole and when it's real cold I not only have to skim but sometimes re-drill as the hole closes in from the sides.  And if our rescue-mutt (advertised as yellow Lab, has the color and feet but forgot the "retriever" part and doesn't like water), which arrived from TX on Feb. 4, could adapt to Maine cold, I've no excuse not to do the same.  (She was really spooked by the March blizzard, however.  SN+ at 40 mph left her cowering on the porch until I dragged her out to do her business.  Sweet pup, otherwise.)

If I still skated I'd like it a lot more.  Few things are better than skating on a pond in winter.  I can snowshoe though if we get copious snow.  When there's snow and it's daylight I get out with the dog but that's mainly weekends.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Low 80s with dews near 65...naso bad. 1P1 even tickled down to 59.

Looks like a High of 76F back up in Stowe before the storms hit and knocked it back into the 60s with a flash flood warning for Stowe/Waterbury/Waitsfield ski town corridor on RT 100.

I feel like there's been an abnormally large number of afternoons this year up there that've gotten cut down in temps by FROPAS or storms.  Likely adding to the below normal numbers relative to the rest of New England... -2 for the month so far at St Johnsbury and Morrisville-Stowe.

Highest temp this month remains at 82F up there.

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like a High of 76F back up in Stowe before the storms hit and knocked it back into the 60s with a flash flood warning for Stowe/Waterbury/Waitsfield ski town corridor on RT 100.

I feel like there's been an abnormally large number of afternoons this year up there that've gotten cut down in temps by FROPAS or storms.  Likely adding to the below normal numbers relative to the rest of New England... -2 for the month so far at St Johnsbury and Morrisville-Stowe.

Highest temp this month remains at 82F up there.

I love that kind of thing ...  totally bucks the predominating signal.  It's like picking on them - heh

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I love that kind of thing ...  totally bucks the predominating signal.  It's like picking on them - heh

Lots of rain and clouds keeping maxes down, while not being excessively humid so the mins are fairly normal.

I've noticed the maxes really seem to be different from SNE/CNE this particular summer for some reason.  Lots of congestive Cu off the mountains while BTV gets full sun all day so east of the Spine is shadowed by those orographic clouds.  BTV sees a high of 86F while it's 80F at the interior sites.  Lots of days like today where most everyone in New England gets well into the 80s but NW gets rain/storms by 12-2pm and it's over at mid-70s.

I do think the predominant W/NW flow in the means around that gyre up north does keep the upslope regions cooler on that flow from precipitation but also largely clouds that form over the mountains and drift downwind.  Then we got hit with back to back -10 departures with that marine mank a few days ago and no real heat to offset it.

Archived