Newest Member
    joxey
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Latest HRRR nails areas North of 80 with multiple lines of storms.

Severe watchbox for Northern CT and mid Hudson Valley.  RGEM, NAM and 3K NAM have alot less than the HRRR however. (RGEM further north)  Could see a couple of spots getting nailed, especially areas that are heating nicely.  (not here)

On 5/30/2017 at 1:35 PM, bluewave said:

But the rainforest in Olympic National Forest is gorgeous.:D

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-04-25/soggy-seattle-lives-up-to-name-breaks-another-rain-record

SEATTLE (AP) — Soggy Seattle has broken another rainfall record, and Portland is inching closer to smashing its own record.

Seattle measured 44.7 inches (114 centimeters) of rain between October and April, making it the wettest such period since records began in 1895, the National Weather Service in Seattle said.

It marks the second year in the row that the city has topped the historic rainfall record for that period.

Seattle also set a record number for wet days from October through April.

They are classified as days with at least 0.01 inches (0.3 centimeters) of precipitation. The city had 144 wet days from October through April and only five dry days so far this month.

Some parts of Washington state have had it much worse than Seattle.

Quillayute Airport near the town of Forks along the state's northwestern Pacific coast has received 116.1 inches (294.9 centimeters) of rain since Oct. 1.

One resident of the Pacific Northwest, however, took a more practical attitude toward the never-ending wetness. Valerie Bass moved to Oregon 43 years ago for college from Southern California and stayed. Now, she's so used to the rain she doesn't use an umbrella.

"There has been quite a bit of rain," she conceded. "As long as we don't have to shovel it, right?"

____

How do our numbers around here compare to that?  I know we've had a pretty significant number of measurable precip days.  I can't imagine that 116" of rain since October, I'd be on suicide watch :o

After a dreary first half it sure did turn out to be a nice afternoon. It's beautiful right now, haze and humidity are down, breeze is up and there's quite a wall of clouds just to my north.  I hope the forecast is on point for tomorrow :) A nice warm day is sorely needed.

7 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

How do our numbers around here compare to that?  I know we've had a pretty significant number of measurable precip days.  I can't imagine that 116" of rain since October, I'd be on suicide watch :o

After a dreary first half it sure did turn out to be a nice afternoon. It's beautiful right now, haze and humidity are down, breeze is up and there's quite a wall of clouds just to my north.  I hope the forecast is on point for tomorrow :) A nice warm day is sorely needed.

We can't even come close to competing with the total number and consecutive precip days that that part of North America gets. I am sure the forum members here appreciate that.;)

C8qD-p7UMAAifgR.jpg-small.jpg.2d78a969f464b292fc9ce024102c7e5f.jpg

Archived