Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mehham

Ginx snewx

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is like someone saying on Thanksgiving that they may never use their snowblower at this rate ;). 

Whoosh

I was amused a couple of weeks back when my wife kept pestering me to call the pool guy to get it opened. I tried to explain that we would be lucky to use it by mid June considering where we live. 

Its all good to go, we just need a pattern change and about a week of AN

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is like someone saying on Thanksgiving that they may never use their snowblower at this rate ;). 

Ehh. Not if he has a pool without a heater. The specific heat of water makes his point more valid. During an average season, you need a prolonged period of N to AN temps and BN precip to have the pool reach and then maintain a comfortable temperature. With the large negative departure for temperature this month, and above average rainfall, his pool is probably ice cold. It's going to take a prolonged dry period with several heat waves to raise the pool water temp to a comfortable level in June. And looking at the EPS and GEFS for the first couple of weeks in June, neither appears likely.

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Whoosh

I was amused a couple of weeks back when my wife kept pestering me to call the pool guy to get it opened. I tried to explain that we would be lucky to use it by mid June considering where we live. 

Its all good to go, we just need a pattern change and about a week of AN

lol I figured you were being sarcastic but couldn't pass up a reference to winter.  

Yeah all it takes is a few days to really warm the pool up I'd imagine if we get into a bout of HHH.  Not like turning it to bath water but at least a manageable swimmable level.

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

50.7F and spitting rain. Awesome.

i kinda wish we never got that big warm up. We could've had some solid negative departures for the month.

Yeah we'd be like -3 to -4.  

As it is it's been -2.5 even with the +18 and +12 days from the heat.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

50.7F and spitting rain. Awesome.

i kinda wish we never got that big warm up. We could've had some solid negative departures for the month.

Something to be said for the seasons starting later. Not sure if it's a recent anomaly or the beginning of a new trend, but this year seems to be following a similar pattern. Warm weather enthusiasts shouldn't feel hopeless; perhaps going forward May and early June is just a trade off for September and early October....

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It's unimaginable how these folks on here like this 

Haven't seen any such insanity on this thread.  However, most of us like having experienced unusual wx events, even when we don't particularly enjoy the sensible wx.  I'd planned a day on North Pond today, looking for pike, but 50F and steady east winds would mean 2 things - I'd be miserable, and the fish almost certainly would not be interested.  At least the woodstove keeps us from having to run the furnace for heat.

The 3 very AN days mid month had a cumulative departure of +40, and bumped up the month by 1.3F.  We'll finish May slightly BN, by 0.7 to 1.0F. 

Meh... there's a personal preference for every kind of perceptible weather.  It's simply a matter of a numbers game, finding who likes what ... And yes, there are even a few of those that like this poop; they may be fewer in numbers than those that like 78/49 with ample sunshine, sure. There are rare gray, and then more common blue birds. There are even those red robins that prefer upper 90s and stifling torridity. 

Then, there is that odd co-dependent upon cryo times of the year folk with that whole snow baggage that "seem" to actually secretly covet days like this. Not so much because they "like" this weather (they actually probably hate it), but because it's like ..some kind of a moral victory that they don't have to deal with the reality of a nice day in summer.  Those lurk in here too -

Either way, ...I just took a trip around the entire Nation using NWS's EDD web-resource and as far as I can tell, the coastal region of D.E.M southward through Boston and the western 'burbs are the coldest, cloudiest, wettest out of all officials spanning the contiguous US.  The wind at Logan is NE and it's SE up near Rockland on the Maine coast, sort of like maximizing each point along the way's ability to be specifically Labrador assaulted...  pretty remarkable really.  

I'm kind of if Brian's camp when he intimated earlier that the hot spell last week actually stole a cold trophy month. Too bad.  We don't even get to write home about this... we've had historic snow down to 1,500 foot elevations this month and all that plus this misery get criminally hidden by one warm up?  It's like personalized torment on multiple target observers.. Hahaha!  that's awesome.   Seriously though, warm spell or not... I get a distinct impression that when NASA comes out with it on June 15th that May was the hottest blah blah blah since records began on Earth, yet again ..one of the only blue regions of relative cool will once again show up over NE, SE Canada and the Martimes.   Such an interesting persistence with that.  It's survived pattern distinctions of variety ... and years..... spanning more than a decade, and we keep owning that distinction some 80 to 90 % of the months.  

You know ... there's something else about this New England...particularly eastern New England.   When cyclones with their associated tapestry of fronts go through we usually/routinely have anomalous air mass variance over the standard Norwegian cyclone model.

In that model, the lows have three sectors... The front side is cool, then there is a barotropic region/warm sector equatorward of the warm front, then there is a the cold region west of the cold/occluded boundary.  But in the spring, we typically find the coldest air in the front left quadrant above the warm front..

Systems sort of symbolically act like warm fronts in total... The warm front its self is...pretty much futile ... such that the warmest sensible air in the translation of the entire system tends to be behind the cold fronts.

This system is exactly like that... We end up with 20 to 25 C in a realm of LIs down to -1 or -2 regionally mid week, having passed through these cool/occluded boundaries.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Funny haven't seen many posts stating that anyone is enjoying it.  Must be the imagination.

I may have about a month ago since I work outside and like it cool . Enough is enough however , ruined a perfectly good graduation party today . Top shelf liquor and food wasn't even enough to keep me around for more than a few hours .

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

I may have about a month ago since I work outside and like it cool . Enough is enough however , ruined a perfectly good graduation party today . Top shelf liquor and food wasn't even enough to keep me around for more than a few hours .

For my work environment the cooler the better, but I would not mind some COC days over the next few weeks.  Summer can start in ernest at the equinox