Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The sensor and study was based off flat surface accretion, which obviously doesn't have the same runoff issues. So they correlated it to radial accretion because that's what we measure.

Ah that makes sense. I see the I group from ASOS make it in all the LSRs around here so it looks like there's a bunch of different measurement techniques going in there. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Ah that makes sense. I see the I group from ASOS make it in all the LSRs around here so it looks like there's a bunch of different measurement techniques going in there. 

I mean technically speaking, I don't think we differentiate what is being measured when we report ice accretion. And that study suggests that it really shouldn't be radial, since ice rarely perfectly accumulates around a cylindrical object. What about all those icicles that hang off? They add to the weight but aren't counted.

I know I typically like to see the automated sensors approach a third of an inch (so radial is around 0.10") before we start getting serious impacts.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I mean technically speaking, I don't think we differentiate what is being measured when we report ice accretion. And that study suggests that it really shouldn't be radial, since ice rarely perfectly accumulates around a cylindrical object. What about all those icicles that hang off? They add to the weight but aren't counted.

I know I typically like to see the automated sensors approach a third of an inch (so radial is around 0.10") before we start getting serious impacts.

Is WSW criteria of 0.5" really 0.5" of radial accretion? 

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

20z HRRR consistently hits EMA hard between 0z-2z tonight... should be some nice snowfall rates if that holds up, verbatim maybe enough to stick at least 1"?

I'm skeptical of the dynamic flip to snow this evening, but it will be something to watch. The warm layers even on the ugly NAM really aren't that thick...it's like this intense thin band located near 850mb. So we'll have to see if some of this gets washed out.

1 hour ago, wxsniss said:

Ahhhh busy Friday at work FTL for following disco / guidance... Lots to catch up on.

I posted yesterday early thoughts of Boston 3-6" and mostly from CCB, have no idea how that's trended and won't opine until I review stuff.

Replies to my prior posts early this morning:

Ray: excellent FINAL map. For Boston (sorry for mby focus... it's the climo I have most experience with), 4-8" is very reasonable. Definite +bust potential if CCB trends more robust. It all comes down to the 6am-1p-ish period and how quickly we can wash out the junk warmth that comes in tonight, and if the mature system lingers a bit more Saturday. Same for northeast MA where 14" might bust low along MA/NH border into northeast MA if CCB really goes to town.

Iceberg: I know you're "just" a hobbyist as am I, but you have sure stepped up your game this season with great posts.

I amended last minute to 8-12 Boston...potentually less right at shore 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm skeptical of the dynamic flip to snow this evening, but it will be something to watch. The warm layers even on the ugly NAM really aren't that thick...it's like this intense thin band located near 850mb. So we'll have to see if some of this gets washed out.

It'll definitely be close. 20z HRRR (and GFS) is frozen the entire column 0z-2z...  NAM kisses > 0C 800-850mb... it will be an interesting early litmus of the NAM soundings

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Go hard and heavy...Im feeling tmw AM.

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

It'll definitely be close. 20z HRRR (and GFS) is frozen the entire column 0z-2z...  NAM kisses > 0C 800-850mb... it will be an interesting early litmus of the NAM soundings

Latest RAP re-cools the BOS column too...it has sleet but then back to snow around 7-8pm and then it snows for about 3-4 hours before re-flipping back to sleet/rain around 12-1am.

I'm still skeptical of this but it will be interesting to watch.

nteresting that the NWS seems to be quite a bit higher (as well as Ray) with snow totals in Northern MA and NH than Mets on air that I saw. max I saw on fox 25 and WMUR were 6-10". are they underselling the heavy stuff tomorrow morning?

43 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

ASOS says straight FZRA there now. 0.04" on the FZRA sensor so far (I think the general rule of thumb is take about a third of that value for the radial accretion).

Just about!!! I forgot who derived it, but radial ice accumulation is equal to 'ice thickness' multiplied by '0.394.' The FRAM SM, in particular, uses the conversion to go from ice thickness over to radial ice accumulation.

2 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

It'd be nice if there was a universal "snowboard" to measure ice accumulation.

Once I really dug into that study I realized how all over the place ice measurements are.

We'll accept 0.5" radial on a wire, but also on your deck or car. But 0.5" on a car only correlates to about 0.15" on a wire.

Archived