• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

HRRRX looks pretty good for the city...12"+ with higher amounts inland of 18"+.

Also, admittedly I don't know the nuances of forecasting coastal storms, but what's wrong with the Kuchera method. It doesn't seem to be too far off from the Cobb (without compaction) and SREF methods. Which methods are considered best for your neck of the woods? 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Zelocita Weather said:

What model is that?

That's the 12z RGEM.  It shows a lot more snow than I originally thought.  Only about a 2-3 hour period where nyc mixes.  My apologies for jumping the gun,  I wasn't being specific in my post.  Northern NJ gets buried on this run. 

IMG_5098.PNG

The RGEM is a fantastic run for the five boroughs.  Even if it doesn't absolutely maximize snowfall totals for NYC  - which was true in 1996 as well, where the five boros briefly went to sleet and highest snowfall totals were ~10-30 miles west -  it puts NYC right in the path of the highest rates and highest winds.   15" high impact inches are a hell of a lot more fun than 18" of fluff.   Each run gets me more and more optimistic.

15 minutes ago, RutgersWx92 said:

No it doesn't, the 1993 storm tracked inland over northeastern NJ. This won't go as far west as that did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to me this has January 1987 written all over it....races up the coast, huge front end dump is done in about 7-9 hours and ends as drizzle or sleet.

15 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

This continues to look like 1987 shifted 50-75 miles east

I agree. I remember that storm well. 

I was in 8th grade, staring out the window in school waiting fro the snow to begin. It probably started snowing (in Forest Hills, Queens, NY) at 930ish and by the time I got home from school it was all over. 11" or so in 6 hours.

5 minutes ago, sferic said:

Are we looking now at a progressive storm with a duration of 12 hours?

1 minute ago, weatherlogix said:

to me this has January 1987 written all over it....races up the coast, huge front end dump is done in about 7-9 hours and ends as drizzle or sleet.

While the height of the storm will last around 12 hours. From about 3AM-3PM, lighter stuff should linger into the early evening. And we could get some lighter snows in by midnight. Overall it's roughly a 12-16 hour event. It's really hard to get a longer duration storm while the storm is still bombing out. The H5 low doesn't close off until the storm is up into New England, and by that time the SLP begins to weaken.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I think you're all rain down that way, and lots of it.

My thoughts as well. Although Mt. Holly remaining bullish for the ACY area has kept me intrigued. I'm more concerned about these winds, the flooding and the beach erosion which we can already ill-afford. 

Just now, RUMG11 said:

My thoughts as well. Although Mt. Holly remaining bullish for the ACY area has kept me intrigued. I'm more concerned about these winds, the flooding and the beach erosion which we can already ill-afford. 

Unfortunately with the storm nearly onshore until after passing your latitude it's going to be hard for you to get snow.

Archived