Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Never said anything about the coast jackpoti g. But a 50 shift SE this time saves my home town from a full on slop fest. I still think the best totals are 30 miles NW of the park

I think the city is fine right where it's at. The only place with significant issues is E LI.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I think the city is fine right where it's at. The only place with significant issues is E LI.

I love where I'm going to be on the far UWS. I think we do great there. But the best banding with the deform looks to setup up from about you to Orange County (of course) that's where the 24" potential is. My home town will probably go to sleet for a while at least. 

53 minutes ago, JBG said:

February 1995 didn't have much cold air in place before the storm. This one does.

Another analog is February 1994 II- that storm dumped a bit more than a foot of snow and then went to sleet in the afternoon at JFK, not at Central Park though (Central Park had a similar amount of snow but no sleet.)

Just now, Paragon said:

Another analog is February 1994 II- that storm dumped a bit more than a foot of snow and then went to sleet in the afternoon at JFK, not at Central Park though (Central Park had a similar amount of snow but no sleet.)

That was the Friday storm that followed the Tuesday storm right? (that's how I remember them for some reason.)

11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I love where I'm going to be on the far UWS. I think we do great there. But the best banding with the deform looks to setup up from about you to Orange County (of course) that's where the 24" potential is. My home town will probably go to sleet for a while at least. 

I think we end up close to a foot combined snow/mix in southern Nassau, around 12z is the key time to see if the mix line can be held off. I'm pretty sure at least I mix for a while. But it could be more if we get walloped overnight. Central Park should make it to 15".

7 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

That was the Friday storm that followed the Tuesday storm right? (that's how I remember them for some reason.)

Yep, they were back to back, I actually found the first one to be better because we had lots of thundersnow and insane rates during the day.  The prediction for the first one was 4-6 and we ended up with like 8.

With the second one it was originally supposed to be south of us and kept coming further and further north, the prediction for it was 12-18 which was spot on, EWR got the jackpot with 17.  Total amount of snow on the ground was like 31" at the end lol.

Terrible analysis here. The Ukmet moved the 850mb low well SE of 0z run. It tracks it off the Jersey shore and south of NYC, keeping NYC cold until the 700mb low moves overhead at about hour 27 and dry slots the area.

Ukmet verbatim is 40mm of precip as snow, then the 700mb low comes west and overhead and the dynamics are gone and they switch to snizzle/mix with about 7-10mm of precip left.

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Those back-to-back major storms were the only time I can recall the city having a Winter Storm Watch and Warning up at the same time.

Actually when you look at the center of the circles of both UKMET runs, instead of where the unscientific "L" is, both the 0z and 12z runs are centered in almost exactly the same spot (as the model track map indicated), therefore no significant difference between the two in terms of track.

edit- I had to magnify it to see a slight bit of difference- the newer run is slightly more NE, but that doesn't mean it's more east, but slightly faster.  But again, the differences are not significant.

Archived