Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

1 minute ago, snywx said:

I don't think I've ever seen 6-7" an hr rates in my life.. Most of the guidance the past 24 hrs has been showing this for the HV. Gonna be wild!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 9.11.51 AM.png

Parts of the Mohawk Valley snowed 6-7 inches per hour in the Christmas 02 storm and Keene NH I think had 7-8 an hour in March 2001

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, snywx said:

I don't think I've ever seen 6-7" an hr rates in my life.. Most of the guidance the past 24 hrs has been showing this for the HV. Gonna be wild!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 9.11.51 AM.png

I've seen rates like that,it's FKNA awesome.  When I lived in Tahoe (a loooong time ago) we had 10"/hr for 4 hrs once, I watched it go from light in the house to dark as the banks outside the windows went from sill level to over the top.  When you have to dig your way out of the house you gain a new respect for heavy snow :) 

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Parts of the Mohawk Valley snowed 6-7 inches per hour in the Christmas 02 storm and Keene NH I think had 7-8 an hour in March 2001

I got over 20" here from the xmas storm in 2002. I don't ever remember rates that high! Thats some LES or Lake Tahoe stuff

36 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Here's my final call. 

12-18" in NYC proper and immediate surrounding areas. Remember that strong winds, possible mixing and approaching dry slot will limit totals somewhat. Still a historic storm for the coast in March. 

10-14" for Eastern Nassau and Western Suffolk County. 8-12" for the rest of Long Island with possibly 10-14" in the usual North shore spots.

I like a general 12-18" for most of Central NJ, north of 195 till about Rt. 78. North of 78 and West of the GSP in NJ I like a general 18-24" with a few localized 24-30" amounts in the elevated areas of NW NJ and then up into Orange County. Otherwise North of 84 I like a general 18-24".

For Northeast PA I like 12-18" with a few isolated areas >18" possible in the higher terrain. For the area from about Philly to Trenton I like 8-12" with isolated areas of 12-18" North of Philly in the hill country.

Overall a historic storm for the time of year. 

Very strong winds will cause coastal flooding, possible power outages and white out conditions for a period tomorrow morning into early afternoon. 

Comes in as a wall of snow around 2-3AM. Height of the storm is from about 6AM to 2PM. Should be all gone by about 6-7PM except for a few lingering snow showers.

Yanks I agree with all this good call

5 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Yanks I agree with all this good call

I agree, pretty solid as it looks right now.

im still feeling the big time power outage issue for the coast. So even though amounts will be less with heavy wet snow and any sleet the cake effect mixed with gusts over 60 is going  To bring down trees and power lines. So even though there may be less snow overall the net effect is worse at the coast

1 minute ago, sferic said:

Why would NAM track further east on 12z introduce mixing? Isn't further east good for NYC?

It is good, but IMO the more important question is where the 700 and 850 lows track. If those lurch east, the mix line lurches east with them. So far the NAM seems to be bringing them east a decent bit. 

Archived