joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, calm the hell down. It's one model run.

Secondly, Even if the coast mixes, it's going to be after several hours of heavy snow, so don't sweat a little mixing at the end. Not every coastal storm jackpots the coast. The fact that we're even talking big snow at the coast in mid March is remarkable.

4k NAM showing some serious surface winds in the blizzard warned areas.

nam4km_mslp_wind_neus_25.png

2 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

Yes you are correct. This is a horrible run for I-95 and SE. Lots of rain and mixing. Worst case scenario for that area; I was afraid of this last minute trend. Your gonna have some bridge jumpers if the 12z globals agree.

I doubt rain with the low further East

Though the low is west on the 4km nam

The 12z NAM represented an improvement over the 6z run, especially at 700 mb and 850 mb. The end result was an increase in forecast snowfall amounts in the areas that had seen substantial reductions between the 0z and 6z runs. This development increases my confidence that the 6z run may have been an outlier and that the more consistent 3 km parallel NAM and RGEM may be providing better insight into what to expect from the storm. That the 12z NAM also showed the heaviest snows in the interior also increases my confidence as that area is quite similar to that shown on the 6z RGEM.

NAM0313201712z.jpg

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There is no way it rains outside of central or eastern LI.  The surface wind component west of there is too northerly.  Sleet maybe but no rain

The NAM isn't showing much rain outside of Suffolk County but it does have at least 3-6 hours of sleet.

Higher res NAMS at 12z seem to take an alternate route with the low, hugging the coast even more. Starting from the 6z runs, that is what it has been doing with the NAM models. 00z stayed offshore just enough. The 4km/3km NAMS are pretty ugly for most of us with tons of mixing. Be careful with the snow maps..it is a LOT of sleet, not accumulating snow for much of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, WintersGrasp said:

Higher res NAMS at 12z seem to take an alternate route with the low, hugging the coast even more. Starting from the 6z runs, that is what it has been doing with the NAM models. 00z stayed offshore just enough. The 4km/3km NAMS are pretty ugly for most of us with tons of mixing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the 3KM is snowier for the area

nam3km_ref_frzn_neus_26.png

Archived