Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

9 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

box is on it's way to becoming the weather equivalent of the new york daily news

Maybe for some but for my locale they have been pretty good inside of 48 hours this season.  Sure, it may not be the forecast I want to see (too much rain this winter), but it is what it is.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this number... crap like this that makes the public so skeptical of meteorologists...

For much of eastern Mass south of Cape Ann including Boston metro, writing was on the wall on this one since the 0z-12z runs this morning, specifically that the CCB would miss too far northeast, yet look at this article timestamped 8pm tonight, full article (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/blizzard-conditions-feet-of-snow-to-bring-new-england-to-standstill-by-monday/70000826) excerpted below:

Blizzard conditions, feet of snow to bring New England to a standstill by Monday

By Renee Duff, AccuWeather meteorologist
February 12, 2017, 8:03:54 PM EST

A blizzard will unleash feet of snow and threaten to bring travel to a halt across eastern New England through Monday.

In some areas, this will be the second storm in less than a week to unleash a blizzard and over a foot of snow.

Behind a weak system that returned snow to New England to start the weekend, a second and more potent storm is following to end the weekend and start the new week.

Accuwx.jpeg

Slick and hazardous travel will continue to unfold across eastern New York and New England through Sunday evening as a band of heavy snow pushes through.

The snow will fall at a rate of an inch or more an hour, quickly covering roads and sidewalks.

Wind and snow will then increase across eastern New England later Sunday night into Monday as the blizzard ramps up.

"The key to whether the heaviest snow zone remains north of Boston or slams the city will depend on how much rain mixes in on Sunday evening," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Kristina Pydynowski.

"Based on latest indications, heavy snow is expected to win out over rain mixing in and allow totals to approach or reach a foot in Boston, with higher amounts in the northern suburbs."

Winds will whip past 50 mph (80 km/h) along the New England coast, causing the blizzard conditions and significant blowing and drifting snow. This includes in Boston, Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Portland and Bangor, Maine.

4 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Some image hosting sites probably block proxies, which messes with the board when it goes to save a copy for your post.  Try photobucket, images from there are posted here frequently and they show up like normal.

Thanks. The site I used worked here in the past. I was curious about what was happening.

9 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

It's snowing at Fenway, snowing on the coast nearby, but raining here. Don't even want to hear it. Started off puking dendrites earlier and now can't get out of mix and I'm only losing snow. Fooking torturous. 

Yeah. Event sucks here. It was coming down at a good clip for a little bit there, but back to crap now with it snowing, but not really sticking much.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This was obvious.

I'm not sure a 100% whiff was so obvious and easy to forecast if that is what happens. I agree that the chair was getting pulled out from under the 18-24'' Essex Cty forecasts but I still figured at least an additional 2-5'' was possible from getting nicked by the CCB. That'd still yield a lot of double digits N and E of ORH. Not too optimistic about even that anymore, but we'll see. 

Archived