Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem V

Typhoon Tip

13 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Monday could actually be kind of a sneaky chilly day with the BDF.

But I'd watch Wednesday as a torch day too...we'll see. It's 6 days out, so it could change, but we may have a low to our north in Quebec trying to give us westerly flow with warm thicknesses. I think the period Feb 24-26 should be watched...could be a overrunning/SWFE type system if it goes right.

So you still like the idea of a winter storm threat in SNE during that period? Seems like that's our next window after later next week chills down. And then looks like we have fun right into Mid March with mojo going from 8-1

Close
C4yFRqSXUAAg7oZ.jpg:large

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Long range is sort of interesting. Next weekend may be a cutter, but sort of a -EPO look. That also comes with a ridge off the coast....so we know what that means. Might have to gamble....but at least a cold source will be there.

Does the 23/24th for next week still show up as a possibility?

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think it's more like 25-26 or so. However it looks like it could be a messy storm. Maybe rain SNE/coast and snow to ice well inland. But, it's early and other models have different idea.

That's about all we can hope for at this range.  I suppose the way this season is going this could be the last hurrah...or not.  Been dreaming about a 1993 March Superstorm for a few nights now. 

I wouldn't trust the extended at this time even more so than the usual caution for those sort of time leads... 

There are conflicting signals everywhere ...teleconnectors to operational runs, and back and things could break just about any direction ..warm...cool, wet dry or even white... 

Both agencies are trending warm in the general teleconnector layout. 

Meanwhile, we have a whopper MJO wave passing through phase 8 ...and the extended outlook for that particular phenomenon actually kills it and re-emerges a new wave back in 7 ...threatening to repeat the cycle.  That's just a pig ton of tropical/subtropical forcing in the Pacific...

Which lends to the operational guidance of -EPO ridging as a correlation. All the operational runs have it, but of course vary some on timing, amplitude and placement.  The sum of which connotes a cold dump into the Canadian shield; preparatory in its own regard. 

Yet the teleconnectors as they are derived from the GEFs through yesterday are not nearly as emphatic about any -EPO ridging.  The EPS derivatives ...I don't even know if those are calculated and presented the same way; never could get an answer to that.  But just from what I can surmise looking at the mean, there is a reasonable expression for ridging near the Alaskan sector. Just not as amplified as the operational - which sort of backs us into a similar conclusion that for whatever reason, the means of either are not as interested as the operational for that all important feature. 

Putting all that into the crucible and melting it down is like going to the soda machine dispenser and filling one's cup with 1 second under each flavor including the cool-aide. 

Personally ... I have always thought the MJO was over-rated.  It's useful (more so) when the surrounding hemispheric medium is in constructive interference - when such is the case, it looks like the key-stone holy grail of mass-field indicators.  But when the opposite is true ...seems the wave either hides in the incoherence circle, or comes out at little to midland strength and isn't really correlating nearly as well.  Not sure which side of the interference spectrum this particular wave resides, but seeing as it is soo strong as of last check, and in phase 8, and the Pac recently was in +PNA mode... stands to reason that it may be more effectual on the pattern.  interesting...  It's possible that the -EPO gets more coherent in future modeling cycles and things just up and break colder after a weak of this banal mild pattern we seem destined for.  

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wouldn't trust the extended at this time even more so than the usual caution for those sort of time leads... 

There are conflicting signals everywhere ...teleconnectors to operational runs, and back and things could break just about any direction ..warm...cool, wet dry or even white... 

Both agencies are trending warm in the general teleconnector layout. 

Meanwhile, we have a whopper MJO wave passing through phase 8 ...and the extended outlook for that particular phenomenon actually kills it and re-emerges a new wave back in 7 ...threatening to repeat the cycle.  That's just a pig ton of tropical/subtropical forcing in the Pacific...

Which lends to the operational guidance of -EPO ridging as a correlation. All the operational runs have it, but of course vary some on timing, amplitude and placement.  The sum of which connotes a cold dump into the Canadian shield; preparatory in its own regard. 

Yet the teleconnectors as they are derived from the GEFs through yesterday are not nearly as emphatic about any -EPO ridging.  The EPS derivatives ...I don't even know if those are calculated and presented the same way; never could get an answer to that.  But just from what I can surmise looking at the mean, there is a reasonable expression for ridging near the Alaskan sector. Just not as amplified as the operational - which sort of backs us into a similar conclusion that for whatever reason, the means of either are not as interested as the operational for that all important feature. 

Putting all that into the crucible and melting it down is like going to the soda machine dispenser and filling one's cup with 1 second under each flavor including the cool-aide. 

Personally ... I have always thought the MJO was over-rated.  It's useful (more so) when the surrounding hemispheric medium is in constructive interference - when such is the case, it looks like the key-stone holy grail of mass-field indicators.  But when the opposite is true ...seems the wave either hides in the incoherence circle, or comes out at little to midland strength and isn't really correlating nearly as well.  Not sure which side of the interference spectrum this particular wave resides, but seeing as it is soo strong as of last check, and in phase 8, and the Pac recently was in +PNA mode... stands to reason that it may be more effectual on the pattern.  interesting...  It's possible that the -EPO gets more coherent in future modeling cycles and things just up and break colder after a weak of this banal mild pattern we seem destined for.  

The EC ensemble mean looked like a decent -EPO developing. I suppose heading into March...that could be a good thing. a -NAO which would be more ideal looks non-existent. 

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The EC ensemble mean looked like a decent -EPO developing. I suppose heading into March...that could be a good thing. a -NAO which would be more ideal looks non-existent. 

Ugh, a -nao closing out winter would be ideal. But it wont form until mid april just in time for the cutoff rain season. 

Archived