joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem V

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's interesting ... the individual GEFs members also supports the continued sore butt look for the eastern 1/3 of N/A (south of the 50th), despite the -EPO.

you can tell by looping each one that the 'base-line' pattern still wants outside sliders along the WC...right out to the end of week two; and they are doing that while on whole, the mean drills the EPO down to some -2 standard deviations.  yesterday I postulated that as the EPO descends...eventually, the trough might broaden and force a last sort of gasp of winter into the east (as such a structure would mean positioning the storm track east and bringing cold with it in time...). 

as has been the case on numerous times since ...Halloween for that matter, whenever anyone dares formulate a cogent hypothesis for deterministic weather, the atmosphere in the models [deliberately] contrives some fercockta look that is on purpose inserting antithetical inches deeper into said butts.  

Ha ha.   yeah, yeah.  we said yesterday - also - that it's possible that the EPO dips and rises over the next 10 days, ...and down stream structural changes don't occur, true. Hence the word might. 

in which case, it's another opportunity to get much need snows into the elevations of the west that service res' and rivers for spring and summer.  someone does benefit from our loss as an upshot.  we'll see.  

not that anyone asked but ... for me, 70 until next October? couldn't be happier.  oh, I follow the charts and sh*t just because I'm into the subject matter, and if there's a run in with winter again I'm sure i'll be sipping from the hypocrisy goblet ... but, my expectations are already turned.  this year, despite somehow getting blind lucky with snow totals (when considering the pattern history(s)), really is uniquely designed to just sort of not care... heh.  So, I'm already dreaming about disk golf, and long cycling rides, and the beach, ...crispy towering cu, and the reams of disgruntled posting content starring how several weather in NE is worthless so don't bother even logging in... as x town is getting hammered by golf balls. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol at the modeled 2m temps for this afternoon. Phantom 18z mega inversions on the NAM and GFS. Take'em up.

yeah... I've noticed this about early warm ups.   

Back in the 1990s when dino's roamed ... it was known that machine derived guidance was tinted ever more toward climatology for ever additional day. By the time you got to D5, a sprawling ridge with 850's of +10C, on a wistful WSW well-mixed continental wind in late February was a slam dunk to at 15 F to the MOS.  

Is that still the case though?  

Because it definitely seems like these product are truncating the adiabats like 200 mb above surface.  

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah... I've noticed this about early warm ups.   

Back in the 1990s when dino's roamed ... it was known that machine derived guidance was tinted ever more toward climatology for ever additional day. By the time you got to D5, a sprawling ridge with 850's of +10C, on a wistful WSW well-mixed continental wind in late February was a slam dunk to at 15 F to the MOS.  

Is that still the case though?  

Because it definitely seems like these product are truncating the adiabats like 200 mb above surface.  

This is what the 6z GFS has for a 12hr forecast here valid 18z. It's currently a little after 10am and I'm already at 34F with full sun.

lolskewt.gif

13 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

HRRR is doing it too. Here is the 14z run. Not ideal mixing today, but this map is ridiculous

HRRR.PNG

Yeah...looks like they're all doing it. It seems when mixing is poor the models get a little overzealous with the inversion in the afternoon when it's sunny, shallow, and over snow pack.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Going forward next week and beyond certainly looks like quite a bit of snowy potential 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

And if the EPS is right, cutter potential.

Poking the hornets nest.

41 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like some nice swfe thumps 

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For Quebec City.

Spraying gasoline on the hornets nest...Match in-hand.

I highly doubt we are "done" anyway. And to avoid the subjective semantics, I'll define "done" as a minimum of advisory snowfall criteria. 

Lots of cold in Canada...even if the west has a trough, doesn't mean we can't get a big system. Just increases the cutter chance. But also keep the cold lurking and the threat may be high as the bowling league starts warming up as we go through the month. Early on, it's still a tighter longwave winter gradient, but that probably starts relaxing at some point. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I highly doubt we are "done" anyway. And to avoid the subjective semantics, I'll define "done" as a minimum of advisory snowfall criteria. 

Lots of cold in Canada...even if the west has a trough, doesn't mean we can't get a big system. Just increases the cutter chance. But also keep the cold lurking and the threat may be high as the bowling league starts warming up as we go through the month. Early on, it's still a tighter longwave winter gradient, but that probably starts relaxing at some point. 

I agree ....I think I'll get double digits additional....just saying, been decent as is.

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree ....I think I'll get double digits additional....just saying, been decent as is.

And this is about what most pro's felt about the winter coming in.   Average to slightly above average snowfall for season, looks like we end up right about there. 

Archived