Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem V

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I wonder how many FB posts about "spring is here" pop up over the next few days. Revisit those posts in 10 days.

I just hope its worthwhile.   ...I think we'd all opt for spring over a NNE pattern w cold rain here ....I think sne gets another nice event, though.

Overnight teleconnectos shifted (GEF derived...) markedly going into March...particularly the end of that first week, say 10 days from now... 

(I hate reporting this; I'm mentally checked on winter on afternoons like this). 

Firstly, backing off the cold early next week was actually in the cards three days ago. NCEP mentioned in their extended product(s) that any cool down would be toward seasonal averages and short lived, prior to the warmth plausibly rolling back in and that's precisely what the operational models have modulated toward.  Kudos to them I suppose... But I did post that material in here.. 

Not that anyone cares of course... 

Beyond that, ...  we probably need reminding that March, 1956, brought that year almost the seasonal total in that ending month.  ...Maybe it was '57... not sure, but Leonard told me about living that experience in NYC.  Pounding 12" ers one after the other...  

At the tale end of 2015 mega snows.. March featured a high temperature of 19 F on the 12th.  I remember thinking that would be like September 29th sun at the other end.  

See ... it's not about "if" it can do so this late in the year; certainly no question there on just February 23rd by anyone mentally responsible... It's more a question of whether people can see outside their tormented boxes.  You're so used to being porked by wanting snowy weather, and not getting it... that it becomes difficult to imagine any other reality.  

So yeah ...tough to keep an open mind, perhaps.  One thing I do see as a legit limitation/concern is that we are still plagued with too much gradient in the flow. Looking at the GFS' evolution beyond mid next week, really does nicely to illustrate why that's a problem.  There are some six to eight clipper type impulses/short waves cutting SE in a flattish +PNAP pattern, but most if not all of them are not strong enough to mechanically over-power the fact that they are embedded in winds already moving along at some 70 to 100 kts of static velocity.  The waves have to have a wind max that is substantially stronger than the static winds, as they enter a given region, or less storm genesis/organization ensues.  That's just the physics of it all, 101.

That's exactly what's going on out there in time.  Plenty of S/Ws, but the existing gradient is a negative interference pattern.  

That also is what f'ed up our winter all along, save for the 2 weeks in there.  But even during those 2 weeks, systems was eroded for potential because of the fastness of the flow and this non-differentiable maelstrom of global velocities roaring over head at all times.  

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Overnight teleconnectos shifted (GEF derived...) markedly going into March...particularly the end of that first week, say 10 days from now... 

(I hate reporting this; I'm mentally checked on winter on afternoons like this). 

Firstly, backing off the cold early next week was actually in the cards three days ago. NCEP mentioned in their extended product(s) that any cool down would be toward seasonal averages and short lived, prior to the warmth plausibly rolling back in and that's precisely what the operational models have modulated toward.  Kudos to them I suppose... But I did post that material in here.. 

Not that anyone cares of course... 

Beyond that, ...  we probably need reminding that March, 1956, brought that year almost the seasonal total in that ending month.  ...Maybe it was '57... not sure, but Leonard told me about living that experience in NYC.  Pounding 12" ers one after the other...  

At the tale end of 2015 mega snows.. March featured a high temperature of 19 F on the 12th.  I remember thinking that would be like September 29th sun at the other end.  

See ... it's not about "if" it can do so this late in the year; certainly no question there on just February 23rd by anyone mentally responsible... It's more a question of whether people can see outside their tormented boxes.  You're so used to being porked by wanting snowy weather, and not getting it... that it becomes difficult to imagine any other reality.  

So yeah ...tough to keep an open mind, perhaps.  One thing I do see as a legit limitation/concern is that we are still plagued with too much gradient in the flow. Looking at the GFS' evolution beyond mid next week, really does nicely to illustrate why that's a problem.  There are some six to eight clipper type impulses/short waves cutting SE in a flattish +PNAP pattern, but most if not all of them are not strong enough to mechanically over-power the fact that they are embedded in winds already moving along at some 70 to 100 kts of static velocity.  The waves have to have a wind max that is substantially stronger than the static winds, as they enter a given region, or less storm genesis/organization ensues.  That's just the physics of it all, 101.

That's exactly what's going on out there in time.  Plenty of S/Ws, but the existing gradient is a negative interference pattern.  

That also is what f'ed up our winter all along, save for the 2 weeks in there.  But even during those 2 weeks, systems was eroded for potential because of the fastness of the flow and this non-differentiable maelstrom of global velocities roaring over head at all times.  

Wow. Must have been difficult walking around

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wow. Must have been difficult walking around

I was thinking the same thing...and that you might have some advice for him.

I am in spring mode, but know that we will get more snow.  But damn it is nice today, and snow has been melting at a DIT pace!  Lost 1.5ft in a week. If I'm lucky it will melt enough so that I can clear some old brush around stone walls, before the final assault.

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

I was thinking the same thing...and that you might have some advice for him.

I am in spring mode, but know that we will get more snow.  But damn it is nice today, and snow has been melting at a DIT pace!  Lost 1.5ft in a week. If I'm lucky it will melt enough so that I can clear some old brush around stone walls, before the final assault.

We tried telling folks.. but they insisted on chickens not seeing grass 

10 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Tip, what does the 2nd half of March look like for the west? We're thinking of squeezing in one more trip to Utah in late March.

You're best hope for that level of determination is to bop ahead ~ 200 years when there is a Weather Modification Grid ...like in Star Trek: Next Generation... 

J/k...  

Seriously ... it goes without saying there's no way to know for certain (duh).  The next best thing is analogs ... take into consideration the longer term indices, like the state of the ENSO and PDO and match against years of lore that were fed from similar set ups and see where those late March's ended up...

It's not my typical exercise but I think Scott or Steve or Jerry may have done that -

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

NWS forecasts for high temps today busting 5-10 degrees too low throughout SNH.

Also big bust potential tomorrow on temps. Tomorrow looks warmer than today so I'm not sure why NWS forecasts for NH are in the mid 50's away from the immediate coast...

I don't speak for NWS (obviously...) but... up through yesterday, NAM solutions were BD'ing down to almost the Pike are even HFD... They've backed off a lot on that, but... so long as there is a boundary up there ..

anyway, maybe vestiges of that in grids ? 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't speak for NWS (obviously...) but... up through yesterday, NAM solutions were BD'ing down to almost the Pike are even HFD... They've backed off a lot on that, but... so long as there is a boundary up there ..

anyway, maybe vestiges of that in grids ? 

Good point. From what I understand the signal was robust several days ago but had since weakened significantly. But if we BD this time of the year we struggle to get out of the 30s. So it's still difficult to use that as support for their forecast highs in the mid to upper 50's, unless they were aiming for some sort of "middle ground" to account for a low degree of confidence.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

The GFS has seriously been on drugs this week up here. Another 6hr forecast valid 18z. I'm currently in the mid 50s.morelolgfs.png

Yeah I feel like highs have been 10F to even 20F higher than even short range guidance this week.  It's been crazy...and not just one day but like 3-4 in a row now.

Archived