joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the wind had backed around to 350 at Logan during best UVM on the NAM's FRH(FOUS) grid and thought -...oh dern, this backed off some. 

Sure enough, come in here and it's been acknowledged.  

We enter the headache phase of the game. .. The original wetter more dynamics version could easily still verify, but it's tempting to force a tamer solution.  The "tone" of the 'came back to Earth' is okay; and, I understand what it is for and why (for few deeper reasons at that...) But, we should also remember - not that anyone isn't - that this is still a situation in flux?  Logically it makes sense to assume the margin scenario is less likely than that which is borne out of the consensus, but there is (obviously) no law in nature that says model x-y-z can't score a coup d'etat from time to time. In fact, every dog model has had that day. Even the GGEM scored a two or three weeks ago with that coastal  - never deviated, models joined in from 4 or 5 days out!

It could still flatten more or come back so ...when we say 'come back to Earth' let's be careful. Remember the mid January event from 2014... it was similar sceanrio with an open wave the models all but completely smashed to a forgotten yester-depiction until it was 24 hours out and boom - all models tsunami-ing toward a higher impact with like 18 to 24 room to spare.

One argument: west Atlantic ridging and/or perennial height wall just imposing more of a NW track ...particularly if convection gets going earlier on and there is a latent heat budget that gets lopped down stream...  

Lot of moving parts... Maybe this run is showing more convective contamination whereas the previous cycles seemed to correct for that more?   The list goes on ...  I happen to leave the options on the table - If this thing advisories out than so be it, but these needle thread west Atlantic jobs tend to need a closer temporal evaluation for many of the above reasons and then some. 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Not negative.... realistic.

what part of what I said is incorrect? It wasn't as good as prior runs... period. Doesn't mean it isn't a good hit still 

while true, you always swing as the op solutions. youre gonna bite your nails at hr 6 as the stuff moves and post how "gfs cut back from 12 to 10" and still end up with a foot. look at the bigger picture dood. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

christ sake, if I had feb 15 like se ma id be like james by now lol. ok thats a stretch...but damn, some east folks just suck. grow a pair and live a little, have some fun, let the pickle breathe...dont constrict yourself with tighty whities, free ball it.

LOL ease back on the throttle

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

LOL ease back on the throttle

Yup.  Nothing he wrote is incorrect.  Emotions are high as are some expectations.

Models were struggling with the amplifying PNA ridge and it became clearer yesterday that the trend was there for a larger system with Ensm being more robust that Op runs.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah esp for southeastern half of SNE, but everyone would prob get at least advisory on that....of course, RGEM at 48h caveats...but solution isn't really out of line with other guidance.

There are definitely signs...even on that sim radar image, of a band well NW of the QPF axis. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah esp for southeastern half of SNE, but everyone would prob get at least advisory on that....of course, RGEM at 48h caveats...but solution isn't really out of line with other guidance.

It's quite a bit deeper than the NAM at the surface. Could be timing differences though.

5 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Thanks i just quickly glanced at it while at work, and fwiw the RPM jumped on board with its latest run gives warning snowfall to a good chunk of SNE with a significant shift of LP to the NW, just a hair SE of the BM. 

It looks to set up a pretty sweet looking band well back NW from the surface low over the interior areas.

Archived