Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Anthony is right though-they wind up a storm just too far offshore.  Just having that is a big change.   

Hiw often have we had we had this much uncertainty within 72 hours?

Jerry you both are right, the GFS winds this storm up too far offshore for anything meaningful unless you live on the Eastern MA shoreline.  Cape Cod gets a warning event with a 987mb just too far east of CHH.  mY best guess is that the models start to show a much bigger storm and closer to coastline storm after 12z runs tomorrow afternoon.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Or again, this could be a sign that small difference in each model's handling of the Pacific shortwave is having large influences downstream.

Again great point, but again, it means the more amped solutions might not be that far off if the GFS and CMC show a better northern stream interaction with the southern stream disturbance.

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Again great point, but again, it means the more amped solutions might not be that far off if the GFS and CMC show a better northern stream interaction with the southern stream disturbance.

I'm trying to be devil's advocate here. Just as likely is a weak and flat solution at this point. Not every difference means more amped is on the table.

Question for those more in the know than I, but if the H5 look on the GFS looks quite nice as some have explained, and if the upper levels drive the surface, then shouldn't we question the GFS surface depiction??  And perhaps the H5 depiction on the GFS is the first sign it's tipping its hand to a more amplified solution going forward??   Or am I all wrong on that?? Lol.

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Question for those more in the know than I, but if the H5 look on the GFS looks quite nice as some have explained, and if the upper levels drive the surface, then shouldn't we question the GFS surface depiction??  And perhaps the H5 depiction on the GFS is the first sign it's tipping its hand to a more amplified solution going forward??   Or am I all wrong on that?? Lol.

No you are right to assume that the GFS operational model should have had a better surface depiction if looking at H5 setup.

7 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

How so?

With positioning the mean is similar to the OP

Also its further east and drier than it's been... significantly so compared to the 18z mean but slightly more juiced than OP due to a few amped members.

We'll see what Euro shows.

e55a53fa2d5545edbe68a5197909dec6.png

Archived