joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to worry that this coastal storm is going to end our daily snow streak...at 16 days today at home with 1.75sm -SN continuing and likely will get tomorrow with WAA and Wednesday with CAA....but Thursday I can't see where we could get some snow from.

First world problems I guess.

I was against DIT's thoughts last night but this has some serious room to amplify, so I'd lean snowy south of the Pike at least.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm starting to worry that this coastal storm is going to end our daily snow streak...at 16 days today at home with 1.75sm -SN continuing and likely will get tomorrow with WAA and Wednesday with CAA....but Thursday I can't see where we could get some snow from.

First world problems I guess.

I was against DIT's thoughts last night but this has some serious room to amplify, so I'd lean snowy south of the Pike at least.

I know Ray is disappointed. :lol:

I can understand why some think it's going to be a solid hit..and nothing wrong with that. Models playing catch up with the increasing ridging out West as baroclinic mentioned etc.

I can also see where people are proceeding with caution too...there's room for this to miss just as easily.  I'm guardedly optimistic at the moment..it has potential for sure.  But the momentum hasn't exactly been with us this season to date either(maybe we can change that this time??).   At least we have  something decent to watch.

26 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I can understand why some think it's going to be a solid hit..and nothing wrong with that. Models playing catch up with the increasing ridging out West as baroclinic mentioned etc.

I can also see where people are proceeding with caution too...there's room for this to miss just as easily.  I'm guardedly optimistic at the moment..it has potential for sure.  But the momentum hasn't exactly been with us this season to date either(maybe we can change that this time??).   At least we have  something decent to watch.

I would say for all the storms that hit in CT this season...12/17, 1/7, and 1/31 all trended in a positive direction days and hours before the storm hit, so for what we did get the juju has been with us.

14 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I would say for all the storms that hit in CT this season...12/17, 1/7, and 1/31 all trended in a positive direction days and hours before the storm hit, so for what we did get the juju has been with us.

I guess you can look at it that way too lol...good point in that regard.  :-).  

21 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yes. That's why they are "the storms that hit CT this season." Otherwise they would be the storms that didn't hit CT this season, of which there have been plenty.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yup... it's literally a toss up at this point 

everything from a whiff to 12+ on the table 

Nearly half the variance in GEFS solutions comes with a difference of 6 mb from the mean just south of SNE. 

So a slightly flatter, weaker wave initialized tonight at 00z we could expect would produce a 1008 mb low instead of 1002. Likewise, a sharper, stronger wave could be 6 mb deeper. We're at the mercy of model whims in initializing a shortwave we have very little real information about right now. And unfortunately, raobs are no help until at least 12z (more likely 00z) tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

If the Pats can come from 25 behind and win the Superbowl, this storm can go from a nothing to a crippler... 2 feet +, howling winds, blizzard conditions for everyone east of the Hudson.

Hey magical thinking worked last night, why not go for a roll?

Welcome to the "what can go right" world, it can be a much more delightful place with pretty colors, sex, drugs, and techno. It can also leave you depleted of brain cells locked up in a looney bin someday....but we will worry about that down the road.

32 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If the Pats can come from 25 behind and win the Superbowl, this storm can go from a nothing to a crippler... 2 feet +, howling winds, blizzard conditions for everyone east of the Hudson.

Hey magical thinking worked last night, why not go for a roll?

32 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Welcome to the "what can go right" world, it can be a much more delightful place with pretty colors, sex, drugs, and techno. It can also leave you depleted of brain cells locked up in a looney bin someday....but we will worry about that down the road.

Brain cells are overrated most of the time. And sex, cannabis, pretty colors and easy jazz are a nice combo on a snowy afternoon... but we digress

Archived