Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

4 minutes ago, mimillman said:

It's American. You really think 9:20 was the better shot of taking off?

No I would take the chance on the first one, but American is extremely conservative when it comes to cancellations for weather.  They drop more flights than most other airlines will. I would take my chances with the earlier flight though 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

So we're getting less than the models are showing?

13 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Often times we see models overdo QPF in fast moving systems and then in the final 24-36 hours they start cutting back.  That doesn't always work though in this area of the country with coastal storms due to the massive moisture with the Atlantic and the mesoscale banding that can occur.  There was a storm in the early 2000s where NE PA and the Hudson Valley saw 12-20 inches of snow and the storm lasted all of about 4-6 hours 

If models are going to start cutting back, I'd expect it by 12z tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Often times we see models overdo QPF in fast moving systems and then in the final 24-36 hours they start cutting back.  That doesn't always work though in this area of the country with coastal storms due to the massive moisture with the Atlantic and the mesoscale banding that can occur.  There was a storm in the early 2000s where NE PA and the Hudson Valley saw 12-20 inches of snow and the storm lasted all of about 4-6 hours 

Jan 2001 and March 2009 come to mind. 3/09 was a bit different because I believe there was a coastal transfer so there was a screw zone. Jan 2001 just moved very quickly and got like 4-5" instead of 6-10 that was forecasted

4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Jan 2001 and March 2009 come to mind. 3/09 was a bit different because I believe there was a coastal transfer so there was a screw zone. Jan 2001 just moved very quickly and got like 4-5" instead of 6-10 that was forecasted

January 02 was the one I was thinking of.  Albany had 14 inches in 4 hours or something 

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

People can definitely get over a foot from a storm lasting less than 12 hours. Jan 26, 2011 dropped 13" where I am in 4 hours or so. 1/12/11 did the same in CT and eastern LI. Boxing Day 2010 dropped 18" in eastern NJ in 6 or 8 hours (with totals over 2 feet). About a month ago parts of ME had 20" in 6-8 hours. There won't be huge totals everywhere and it will likely be localized where bands are most persistent, but the models now definitely support totals over a foot within a good sized swath. Fast movement alone won't "greatly cut totals". 

27 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I grabbed 2 feet on 1/12/11 in Western CT in roughly 12 hrs with about 18" in 5

18 minutes ago, RUMG11 said:

Weather channel latest

Capture.JPG

This is a pretty reasonable forecast, which largely aligns with the NWS forecasts for Philly to NYC and is not what some posters were saying earlier about them underplaying snowfall amounts.  Also, the map above is a little out of date.  Their 8-12" swath includes most of North Jersey and west Central Jersey (as far east as Somerville) and it just about brushes NYC (looks like it includes Newark) and goes through the Hudson Valley into CT.  

9 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

This is a pretty reasonable forecast, which largely aligns with the NWS forecasts for Philly to NYC and is not what some posters were saying earlier about them underplaying snowfall amounts.  Also, the map above is a little out of date.  Their 8-12" swath includes most of North Jersey and west Central Jersey (as far east as Somerville) and it just about brushes NYC (looks like it includes Newark) and goes through the Hudson Valley into CT.  

Care to post it? I didn't see that one

30 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

People can definitely get over a foot from a storm lasting less than 12 hours. Jan 26, 2011 dropped 13" where I am in 4 hours or so. 1/12/11 did the same in CT and eastern LI. Boxing Day 2010 dropped 18" in eastern NJ in 6 or 8 hours (with totals over 2 feet). About a month ago parts of ME had 20" in 6-8 hours. There won't be huge totals everywhere and it will likely be localized where bands are most persistent, but the models now definitely support totals over a foot within a good sized swath. Fast movement alone won't "greatly cut totals". 

I was just thinking jan 26 11. Highest rates I have seen anywhere pushing 5"/hr at the peak. This is a different setup but that illustrates big totals can be done quickly in banding. The way this is being modeled i would really want to be stuck in that 3"/hr deform band for as long as possible to get over a foot. Of course where that happens is all about now cast. Good dynamics and rates look like a given for a time 

30 minutes ago, danstorm said:

I grabbed 2 feet on 1/12/11 in Western CT in roughly 12 hrs with about 18" in 5

I posted in the NE forum about this storm.  I had TWC on, the snow rate had an intensity level to the point where the TWC forecaster said they never seen the color graphic used before.  The snow rate was 5" hour rates.  Madness.

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was just thinking jan 26 11. Highest rates I have seen anywhere pushing 5"/hr at the peak. This is a different setup but that illustrates big totals can be done quickly in banding. The way this is being modeled i would really want to be stuck in that 3"/hr deform band for as long as possible to get over a foot. Of course where that happens is all about now cast. Good dynamics and rates look like a given for a time 

Oh yeah here we go. Lol

Archived