Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

that's an amazing system actually..  that's below 974 mb over Cleveland, with reasonably strong lead side polar high nosing some damming down into SNE from Maine. 

technically, N of the Pike is still scalping/snow mix at 168 hours 

974, cleveland, hmm I know that number lol

that's an epic blizzard for eastern 
Wisconsin, Michigan/Indiana and probably wrapping briefly into NW Ohio..

Two days later and i'll be damned if that's not a low latitude Sonoran heat plume pulled out into the lower Plains... 20 to 21 C 850 mb air?!  zomb so early -

but anyway ...these post D 5 runs are nothing if not entertaining... 

The Euru has done this now three years in a row... (yes, i'm just dorky enough to have kept track). 

I tries to pull a heat signal in winter into Kansas, OK and Tx...  For shear morbid fascination I'd love to witness it be 21 F in Boston while it is 89 F in Oklahoma. 

f240.gif

13 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Even that wound up that's an icy system for the interior. Euro is frigid at the sfc to start. Meaningless this far out but that's a good cad signal

yeah ... sure is. 

that would almost have to correct the surface fronts toward some long ass occlusion with trippy on the LI sound... nice ageo lock in 32.1 F with tree sag ice over a matted down 3-6" from the initial IB snows before the icing. 

it's amazing how we can visualize so much from a la-la chart.  hahaha. 

but, anyway - that cold high up there changes the map in my mind.  don't focus on the quasar at the center of the galaxy when there's nice mixy super nova out here on the arm. 

This is definitely a system that could easily stay all frozen. There's actually some larger scale wave patterns that would favor colder...esp the huge EPO dump going on at the time of the system developing...along with an amplifying ridge into the west coast.

We even have a really weak pseudo block in the Davis Straight from two ridge nodes (one from east of Greenland and the other from the downstream ridge of a PV lobe in NW Canada)

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is definitely a system that could easily stay all frozen. There's actually some larger scale wave patterns that would favor colder...esp the huge EPO dump going on at the time of the system developing...along with an amplifying ridge into the west coast.

We even have a really weak pseudo block in the Davis Straight from two ridge nodes (one from east of Greenland and the other from the downstream ridge of a PV lobe in NW Canada)

Any blocking - anything at all to slow down the Tuesday storm and drive it north of Nova Scotia - and this would duck under that high and go to town. But that thing flies out into the Atlantic. Unfortunate.

ECMWF and GFS are concurring on a coherent p8 MJO propagation post D10. Will be interesting to monitor constructive interference with ongoing precursor. I am becoming more confident that a negative NAM period will occur (NAO too) regardless of whether we destroy the upper stratospheric vorticies, though obviously ideal. W 1/W2 follow up are typically effective.

13 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

ECMWF and GFS are concurring on a coherent p8 MJO propagation post D10. Will be interesting to monitor constructive interference with ongoing precursor. I am becoming more confident that a negative NAM period will occur (NAO too) regardless of whether we destroy the upper stratospheric vorticies, though obviously ideal. W 1/W2 follow up are typically effective.

Prolly end up being the most incredible winter in spring ever with that beast...  it like just reaches Phase 8 then goes straight into orbit with the PNA already crankin'

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The Euru has done this now three years in a row... (yes, i'm just dorky enough to have kept track). 

I tries to pull a heat signal in winter into Kansas, OK and Tx...  For shear morbid fascination I'd love to witness it be 21 F in Boston while it is 89 F in Oklahoma. 

f240.gif

Last March 2016, I left Northern Maine(Madawaska) in the morning to head back to SNE.  It was 19 degrees and snowing there...6 hours later in Portland, ME it was 81 degrees..I had to literally put the AC on in the truck!!!  Craziest temp swing I've ever seen in the same day ever..and all in the same state! 

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro ensembles looking very CADish for next week.

I could even see a significant mixed storm (snow/ice) on Tue into Wed AM... followed by a delayed torch and some rain.

Maybe even a full first wave that's all frozen and then we get something as the front passes Wednesday with the primary way west.

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I could even see a significant mixed storm (snow/ice) on Tue into Wed AM... followed by a delayed torch and some rain.

Maybe even a full first wave that's all frozen and then we get something as the front passes Wednesday with the primary way west.

Yea that seems reasonable given the look

21 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Last March 2016, I left Northern Maine(Madawaska) in the morning to head back to SNE.  It was 19 degrees and snowing there...6 hours later in Portland, ME it was 81 degrees..I had to literally put the AC on in the truck!!!  Craziest temp swing I've ever seen in the same day ever..and all in the same state! 

March in NNE.  On 3/31/98 I was in the woods NE of Patten, perhaps 80 miles south of Madawaska, and we had mid-30s fog and sprinkles.  Meanwhile, PWM was sniffing at 90.  (Peaked at 88.)

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The extended never looked terrible. The modeled cutter yesterday just sent everyone over the edge. I mean, 2015 is not walking through that door...but it wasn't God awful by any means.

Jerry and Ray were rescued in the Charles and seem to be recovering although Ray is clinging to his life vest like a kid with a new toy.  CG did report they heard shouts of screw Ct, screw the ski areas please let me drown.

Archived