Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Next week could def still be ugly but on the other hand the euro continues its march eastward. The primary is well east of even yesterday's 12z run...went through Detroit and now goes through BUF/ROC. 

That storm is still like 5.5-6 days out though so keep that in perspective. That's what happens though when you start following a system at 240 hours. The Super Bowl threat is now basically nothing still with several days to go and a storm that everyone was jumping off the bridge about on a 228 hour prog is now trending fast into a legit winter threat. 

Will is feeling it.

Given the recent pattern a SWFE to liquid seems like a prudent approach.  

Folks need something to be semi-excited about.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Will is feeling it.

We've had trouble managing a good SWFE this year. The December events were ok but the high was in a terrible spot...esp for 12/17...just the antecedent airmass was so cold that we got a big thump anyway, but it also allowed a huge warm sector eventually for most. The January 17-18 threat was actually a nice SWFE setup but had a putrid airmass so we kind of wasted a bunch of qpf on cruddy snow growth and cat paws/sleet pellets. I think we had like 0.65 of qpf on 2-3" of snow (not to be confused the with the big coastal a week later that also had a marginal airmass where we got a good sleet/snow mix). 

Maybe this can finally be the system where we keep a good high position on a SWFE with a legit solid airmass. 

Lot of time though to go. 

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Will is feeling it.

It's definitely a good look verbatim..the gfs esp. The high has trended better. It's just a little early and wouldn't take much to change.

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any mets want to comment on long range? We have Isotherm who has been torching all winter to date liking Feb right thru month end for cold and snow... and we have other mets citing, weeklies, JMA, Cansips, CFS of winter ending after the 15th with full on early spring

Not long range, but 11-15 day and beyond seems to show a good +PNA which would be a good thing as long as we don't get more of a GOAK trough and kick the warmth east. We may be in our own little cool corner of the country.

Overnight model runs were not to bad for next week, Still some work to do on the Euro, Nice look on the GFS/GEFS, Overdue for a decent SWFE that stays all snow, Just need to hold on to the decent looking solution for a few more days without some regression as we get closer in.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Maybe they should have went off the rails sooner then

Well I went off twice but that didn't help.  I guess I don't have the same level of wonder women powers as they do. I am getting interested in the next 10 days but not wanting to invest emotions yet again.  That said, I think the signs are good for a run of winter.  I'd like a quick end early in March though so we can thaw and dry fast. 

You despite being a near-ratter up here (not for you though), we have had a long standing snow pack of almost 2 months uninterrupted.

10 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Overnight model runs were not to bad for next week, Still some work to do on the Euro, Nice look on the GFS/GEFS, Overdue for a decent SWFE that stays all snow, Just need to hold on to the decent looking solution for a few more days without some regression as we get closer in.

Sure, no problemo. 

9 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Well I went off twice but that didn't help.  I guess I don't have the same level of wonder women powers as they do. I am getting interested in the next 10 days but not wanting to invest emotions yet again.  That said, I think the signs are good for a run of winter.  I'd like a quick end early in March though so we can thaw and dry fast. 

You despite being a near-ratter up here (not for you though), we have had a long standing snow pack of almost 2 months uninterrupted.

I really can't complain and haven't, I am past last years seasonal totals so far this winter and have had a snow pack of some sort throughout the period, Whether i make it to avg here or not is the question, Outside of two storms its been a lot of nickels and dimes so we will see how it goes over the next 6 weeks.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I really can't complain and haven't, I am past last years seasonal totals so far this winter and have had a snow pack of some sort throughout the period, Whether i make it to avg here or not is the question, Outside of two storms its been a lot of nickels and dimes so we will see how it goes over the next 6 weeks.

You only had a 2 footer in the region. :(

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah I mean... I've got 30" on the season... so even if I don't see another flake... this winter won't even sniff ratter status statistically... it would simply end below average.

Still a long ways to go. The next 2-3 weeks I would assume are one of if not the most snowy periods around here. We'll see how it goes... things have changed quite a bit as we get closer in this year... maybe that'll work in our favor 

Yup, We have the Whole second half of Winter to go...and coming up is our climatological snowiest period...whether or not it plays out like that(very well could not be snowy) is another story..but it isn't almost over as some say.   it's about 50%(not even) over if you go by the astronomical season...with 7 weeks to go.  MET winter..sure it's 2/3 over going by that.    

26" on the season to date, and yes we've had much worse seasons in the past than this here....but hoping for more action though going forward.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

EPS was better yesterday, but the mean may have been skewed by the members all over the place with low pressure. This is why you wait until you get closer.

Yesterday had a lot more members east with a longer colder profile with stronger HP in Eastern quebec. See what shakes out today, by Sunday we will have a good idea if the GFS Op Euro is right

Archived