Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't know what is more frustrating than 1-3" fluff jobs every other day with a snowpack no greater than 5".

lol here we go...all I know is I haven't seen my lawn since around Thanksgiving.  I think it is different in an urban environment and a rural area too.  Urban areas destroy snow like it's their job vs having 3" of fluff cling to every branch for a week straight.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Fluff sucks. 1/21/14 changed my mind. As fun as it is when it falls, I practically crapped myself when I saw how much compacted overnight. I couldn't believe it. I was about as angry as I get when I dryslot and that's an angry Scooter. Screw ratios.

Our 3ish inches  of sleet will last for weeks and weeks.  Add a bit of drizzle yesterday into it yesterday and  its white cement over grass.  With night time temperatures below freezing even when it warms up during the day it takes until the afternoon to even soften it a bit.   If you want a wintry appeal to the landscape I would take 3" of sleet over 15" of powder that melts down to nothing with a few days of sunshine and lower 40's.

19 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

VT mountains probably just need some help using a ruler. :yikes:

Wildcat has a deeper base than Jay despite having half of Jays season total.

Base depths are a well know total useless measurement in the ski industry.

Ours is 20-40" and I pretty much made it up and haven't changed it since mid-December.  There's 50"+ of natural snow on the ground at 3000ft and above here.

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

If you want a wintry appeal to the landscape I would take 3" of sleet over 15" of powder that melts down to nothing with a few days of sunshine and lower 40's.

But that's the point.  NNE east of the Greens isn't likely to see several days of sunshine and 40s in the middle of the winter.  

I call bull**** on anyone here taking 3" of sleet over 15" of January powder, lol.  I got 3" of sleety snow and I'd trade in a second.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol here we go...all I know is I haven't seen my lawn since around Thanksgiving.  I think it is different in an urban environment and a rural area too.  Urban areas destroy snow like it's their job vs having 3" of fluff cling to every branch for a week straight.

Sublimation, compaction...meh. It's cool when it falls.  

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I would definitely take the 15" storm, but possibly break a few things when it compacts to 8" the next day. 

I do think those types of things don't happen as much as one thinks.  I mean you see the pics.  It's winter.  

There's also a skier's mind vs a weather weenie's mind...skiing in the 2-4" of wet snow and sleet not nearly as much fun as like 15" of January powder, say 20:1 ratio.  It's going to stick around unless it's an urban area or an area prone to 32F in winter.

Honestly if I still lived in Albany area and was looking to prolong the wintery appeal I would want sleet in every storm.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I do think those types of things don't happen as much as one thinks.  I mean you see the pics.  It's winter.  

There's also a skier's mind vs a weather weenie's mind...skiing in the 2-4" of wet snow and sleet not nearly as much fun as like 15" of January powder, say 20:1 ratio.  It's going to stick around unless it's an urban area or an area prone to 32F in winter.

Honestly if I still lived in Albany area and was looking to prolong the wintery appeal I would want sleet in every storm.

It's not even urban stuff. I don't live in an urban area. Personal preference, but I'd prefer it to stay, and there's just too much crap that can happen to fluff unless you have multiple events. I'm half kidding with you guys, but half serious too. I find it beautiful when it falls, but it definitely does not have staying power unless you can squeeze out multiple events.

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wintry appeal late this afternoon while walking the dog along the river behind my place.

Its not deep winter, but 4-6" of depth that probably has 2" of liquid in it along with 1/3" of ice on the trees.  Last winter changed my opinion on what winter is.  This is not last winter.  All is good with the world as long as its not last winter.

16252558_10102840346045620_6550023265104

That is a great shot!

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

But that's the point.  NNE east of the Greens isn't likely to see several days of sunshine and 40s in the middle of the winter.  

I call bull**** on anyone here taking 3" of sleet over 15" of January powder, lol.  I got 3" of sleety snow and I'd trade in a second.

PF,  just kind of making a general point.  Okay,  I'll take 15" of powder.  Don't think I have had that in several years.  Please send me a day or two of your upslope....thanks

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's not even urban stuff. I don't live in an urban area. Personal preference, but I'd prefer it to stay, and there's just too much crap that can happen to fluff unless you have multiple events. I'm half kidding with you guys, but half serious too. I find it beautiful when it falls, but it definitely does not have staying power unless you can squeeze out multiple events.

Yeah I do agree with you on the pure fluff...the 30-40:1 stuff is awesome for skiing if you are in it but not as sweet for the yard.

I don't think we get as much of that though as people think...it's just they'll come in more frequent bursts and light amounts mostly.  Yet it's exciting for some reason if you love snow.  We get a ton of stuff that looks like that photo you posted of a parking lot maybe at work...ripping snow and a solid coating with trees and cars.  You aren't expecting it fully and it puts a quicker step in your day...bonus snows it's often called up here.  

Theres something satisfying like taking a hit of a drug every day just to see accumulating bursts all the time...that add to 1-3" oftenly enough.  Right now it's snowing lightly but steadily in the flood lights as I chill in the living room.  Everyone knows the feeling, it's winter, it's snowing, not a big storm but fun to watch the flakes fall for a bit.  

What you want get is the best mix of frequency and type of snow, IMO.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I do agree with you on the pure fluff...the 30-40:1 stuff is awesome for skiing if you are in it but not as sweet for the yard.

I don't think we get as much of that though as people think...it's just they'll come in more frequent bursts and light amounts mostly.  Yet it's exciting for some reason if you live snow.  We get a ton of stuff that looks like that photo you posted of a parking lot maybe at work...ripping snow and a solid coating with trees and cars.  You aren't expecting it fully and it puts a quicker step in your day...bonus snows it's often called up here.  

Theres something satisfying like taking a hit of a drug every day just to see accumulating bursts all the time...that add to 1-3" oftenly enough.  Right now it's snowing lightly but steadily in the flood lights as I chill in the living room.  Everyone knows the feeling, it's winter, it's snowing, not a big storm but fun to watch the flakes fall for a bit.  

Completely get that. I've hardly had any depth this winter, yet it has felt more wintry than even the big winters in Boston like 2 years ago when the snowpack was way deeper. There's something about frequent snow over extended periods of time that makes it feel more wintry than it really is. Today was a reminder of that. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I don't think we get as much of that though as people think...it's just they'll come in more frequent bursts and light amounts mostly.  Yet it's exciting for some reason if you live snow.  We get a ton of stuff that looks like that photo you posted of a parking lot maybe at work...ripping snow and a solid coating with trees and cars.  You aren't expecting it fully and it puts a quicker step in your day...bonus snows it's often called up here.  

Living on the beach like he does.. it's very very difficult to retain pack. It's hard enough here in the deep interior at 1k. I am not a fan of fluff at all. Unless it falls on top of concrete like we have now and topped off by wet snow or ice or a cold 33 rain that absorbs and then freezes. A 6" fluffbomb vanishes faster than your tux in the back seat of the limo on prom night .

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I get the whole wintry feeling. I guess that's more appealing when you already have a good pack. Overall, I just appreciate the large events, but any snow is good snow. I look forward to this time of year moreso than summer. 

There's precious few pack fetish posters here. Will, me, Freak,a few others . To me.. I love snow and I wAnt to always look outside and see it Otg during winter. I'll be honest.. it ruins it for me when a 6-8" storm is coming and 2 days later I know a cutter or torch is coming. It takes away my enjoyment of the snow knowing it's gone. It's why I'm always asking and worrying about it melting. Just how I'm programmed. And I know I'm not alone 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ha, Ha,  I might just be getting better in my wood stove skills.  ;  )

Actually it is probably due to not having my chimney cleaned until December last year.   Maybe I was being more cautious but I feel like I burned more wood early season last year for what ever reason.

This year definitely had a better cold shot early on and I probably was lazy and used the furnace a little bit more .

Let's face it, I love wood to heat but it is a pain in the azz.

I burned wood for 30 plus years,loved it but it took a toll on me.  Now I pay others to let me turn up a dial. More expensive but less strain . Do miss the whole routine and workout of dropping trees, cutting, splitting and carrying in up to 10 chord a year. But now I am OK with it. I still cut and split but that's for firepits.

I have to watch HDDs for a living,huge difference in Dec year to year and it showed up in NG usage at work.

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There's precious few pack fetish posters here. Will, me, Freak,a few others . To me.. I love snow and I wAnt to always look outside and see it Otg during winter. I'll be honest.. it ruins it for me when a 6-8" storm is coming and 2 days later I know a cutter or torch is coming. It takes away my enjoyment of the snow knowing it's gone. It's why I'm always asking and worrying about it melting. Just how I'm programmed. And I know I'm not alone 

Everyone likes snow OTG constantly, but I'm realistic too. 

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Our 3ish inches  of sleet will last for weeks and weeks.  Add a bit of drizzle yesterday into it yesterday and  its white cement over grass.  With night time temperatures below freezing even when it warms up during the day it takes until the afternoon to even soften it a bit.   If you want a wintry appeal to the landscape I would take 3" of sleet over 15" of powder that melts down to nothing with a few days of sunshine and lower 40's.

In 11 with 30 plus on the ground we had a severe Tstorms followed by a hard freeze then a sleet mix. Talk about bullet proof. I love fluff bombs though for their beauty but give me a solid pack then a fluff bomb and all is right with the world.

20160205_170041.jpg

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Everyone likes snow OTG constantly, but I'm realistic too. 

Not true. It doesn't bother you if it melts. Your mood isn't affected. You have many here that enjoy it falling and then want it gone the next day . That to me is mind boggling. You get it.. you should want to keep it all winter. Who cares if the snowbanks get grungy. It's snow for the love of all that's good 

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I basically expect snowcover throughout from some point in Dec until some pont in March. If at any point in Jan or Feb there is bare ground it's a disappointment. 

Archived