Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday is garbage...it might produce a coating or an inch in far southern areas or the Cape, but it's not a system that is likely to given anyone advisory snows. I guess you could keep an eye on it on the Cape...maybe you get lucky with 2-3". But don't expect anything big.

43 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We just had a large event, but were void of cold.

not that simple.. 

Cold comes, flow compresses = nickle/dimers... 

Cold leaves, big events can then materialize because there is less destructively interfering flow velocity...  

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's true, but it doesn't include most of this area. Chicago's snow retention is horrible compared to interior SNE. They average 44 days per year with >= 1" of snow OTG. A place like ORH is around 75 days...Kevin would probably be in the neighborhood of 65 days....Ray's area in NE MA is similar. Even torchville BDL is 54 days. They do beat BOS out in the harbor who I believe average 38 days of snow cover...but that's about it...even interior SE MA does better...Walpole coop averages in the mid 50s.

Yep - Chicago can have an occasional winter with good snow cover...but even so, it's usually a 1-6" pack. Very rare to have 12" of snow on the ground for more than a few days each winter, if that. Of course there was the great 1978-79 winter, with 100 consecutive days of snow cover and 90" of snow. 

The "winter gradient" in the Midwest is very large...and typically Chicago is on the wrong end of it. If you look at 45N and north in Wisconsin (say around Wausau - not really far from Chicago as the crow flies), you can count on a solid winter feel for pretty much all of DJF. Then, a place like St. Louis essentially has no winter. That is why I laugh when people say that Chicago has rough winters. Not true at all - although 200 miles north is a different story. 

1 minute ago, beavis1729 said:

Yep - Chicago can have an occasional winter with good snow cover...but even so, it's usually a 1-6" pack. Very rare to have 12" of snow on the ground for more than a few days each winter, if that. Of course there was the great 1978-79 winter, with 100 consecutive days of snow cover and 90" of snow. 

The "winter gradient" in the Midwest is very large...and typically Chicago is on the wrong end of it. If you look at 45N and north in Wisconsin (say around Wausau - not really far from Chicago as the crow flies), you can count on a solid winter feel for pretty much all of DJF. Then, a place like St. Louis essentially has no winter. That is why I laugh when people say that Chicago has rough winters. Not true at all - although 200 miles north is a different story. 

That northern Wisconsin belt to N MI and of course the Arrowhead of MN is truly brutal for winter...they rarely ever seen big warmups, and when they do, usually are very short lived. If I had to move out to the middle of the country and had a choice of location, I'd probably pick either the UP of MI, the N WI belt somewhere between Ironwood and Rhinelander, or the Arrowhead of MN...I'd be cold, but the prolific snow would make it worth the trouble. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

not that simple.. 

Cold comes, flow compresses = nickle/dimers... 

Cold leaves, big events can then materialize because there is less destructively interfering flow velocity...  

I knew you would say that.

Bowling ball season is of a different ilk.....I think our best shot is then.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Individual GEFS at 12z with a few good hits. Pretty good feeling this is gonna snow for SNE. May not get back to ALB or Freak.. but good signal for at least accumulating snow next Wednesday 

Something to keep an eye on...I wouldn't get too invested yet given it's a northern stream shallow redeveloper. Those can be quite nuanced.

Archived