Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, drfranklin said:

26.9 degrees - 10 min by car to the south of me, only 1/2 inch in Mauldin - amazing

this storm Helena performed just about spot on as I expected. My original prediction was 2-4, and upped it to 3-5 yesterday.

Now the bad news. I felt the snow line would be somewhere around Fountain Inn...but the snow line pretty much was literally I-85. North of 85, everyone got 4+ inches. South of 85, maybe a trace. So folks in Mauldin, Simpsonville, Piedmont, Anderson...are waking up wondering what happened. 5 miles away, there is about 5 inches on the ground. 

Just woke up, 27 and 2-3" of snow outside. It's been mixing through the night but it looks like we're finally over to just snow. Never underestimate the warm nose.

My prediction is 5-7" for Va Beach and the jackpot will be from Newport News and SW.

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

Not sure if you guys want to be pulled in again, but the latest HRRR and RAP do give more snow with the redevelopment of the back bands. HRRR gives the Triangle 3" with the RAP 5" with more to the NE. Just the messenger.. 

We can hope!!  Getting kinda slotted right now but the returns developing in the upstate area do look promising.

1 hour ago, pbrown85 said:

I've got right at 4" on the ground. I'm right near Crosswinds par 3 course near downtown. 

Lyman: 6 inches
    •    Inman: 5 inches
    •    Travelers Rest: 4.5 inches
    •    Pickens: 4.5 inches
    •    Downtown Greenville: 4 inches
    •    Greer: 5.5 inches
    •    Taylors: 5 inches
    •    Chesnee: 2.2 inches
    •    Clarkesville: 1 inch
    •    Mauldin: .5 inch
    •    Fairview: 7 inches
    •    Asheville: 6 inches
    •    Old Fort: 8 inches
    •    Hendersonville: 5.5 inches
    •    Forest City: 3 inches

4 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Man what a huge bust for clt. Maybe got 2 inches of snow sleet in NW CLT. South of town got zip. Wow. 

Never going to belive in a storm again until the warm nose is worked out the day before. Wow.

My official unofficial truck bed cover measurement was right at 2".  I bet you and I missed the 4"+ totals by 5 miles or so, if not less.  I can go 15-20 min up Hwy 27 or 16 and be in 6"+ territory.  Currently back in a fine snow/graupel mix with some bigger flakes mixing down.

8 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Not sure if you guys want to be pulled in again, but the latest HRRR and RAP do give more snow with the redevelopment of the back bands. HRRR gives the Triangle 3" with the RAP 5" with more to the NE. Just the messenger.. 

I think we have learned our lesson now.  WRAL is calling this event pretty much done.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived